Hofstadter

Quote from: tgb on September 24, 2016, 06:14:33 AM
Is there a decent tutorial, at least?

Ive read that its really in depth and fantastic
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Jarhead0331

In the campaign, the first few missions gradually introduce new concepts to the player. The plot is supplemented with required reading that discusses the science behind new terms or concepts that are in play in the mission. In game, there is an officer that walks the player through the mission concepts and generally explain how to accomplish your objectives, while noting the significance of the key scientific rules at play. It is very high level, intellectual stuff. The mathematics and science behind it all is far deeper than any tutorial within the confines of the game can manage, but by focusing on the mission goals I am slowly becoming more comfortable with orbital mechanics, trajectories, delta-v, intercept points, and now weaponry.

This could very well be a space/science buffs dream game. I just participated in my first combat and it felt extremely authentic. First, having to plot an intercept, having to deal with elliptical rather than circular orbits, orbital perturbations, etc. Then, having to make the intercept, taking care to watch for velocity and closure, distance and weapon range. By the way, the engagement took place with my ship and the enemy kilometers apart, but due to the exceedingly fast speeds, I had less than 2 minutes to execute my attack before fly-by. I was able to target specific systems and modules and watch as the enemy ship silently took damage. It was fast, cold and peculiarly exciting. Weapons were located on the side of my vessel, so I first had to home in on the enemy ship, then turn to give it a broadside. Each weapon has very detailed statistics and charts. Even though I do not understand what most of it means, I couldn't help but smile.

Very cool stuff so far, but I can see it getting frustrating when coming to more complex operations. This isn't a problem with the game per se, only my limited capacity to understand complex mathematics and scientific principles.  Still, this game has already taught me a lot.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

tgb

So you're saying you have to make those calculations, adjust both your ship and weapon trajectory, and get of a successful shot in real time?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: tgb on September 24, 2016, 12:19:42 PM
So you're saying you have to make those calculations, adjust both your ship and weapon trajectory, and get of a successful shot in real time?

No. You don't have to do any of the arithmetic. You just hit the necessary controls and press the necessary keys and your officers do the rest.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

dinsdale

Is it as realistic as KSP? Is it just KSP with weapons?

I had to read up on orbital mechanics and rocketry just to be barely competent at KSP, thoroughly enjoyed it. Thinking of taking the plunge on this, though if I could wave a magic wand I'd make it a strategic or tactical game rather than the first person combination of keyboard controls and newtonian calculations!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: dinsdale on September 24, 2016, 01:05:22 PM
Is it as realistic as KSP? Is it just KSP with weapons?

I had to read up on orbital mechanics and rocketry just to be barely competent at KSP, thoroughly enjoyed it. Thinking of taking the plunge on this, though if I could wave a magic wand I'd make it a strategic or tactical game rather than the first person combination of keyboard controls and newtonian calculations!

My feel is that it is more mathematical than KSP. Additionally, unlike ksp, you don't directly control your craft in flight. You plot movement, burns and transitions on a map.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

panzerde

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 24, 2016, 09:28:32 AM
This could very well be a space/science buffs dream game. I just participated in my first combat and it felt extremely authentic. First, having to plot an intercept, having to deal with elliptical rather than circular orbits, orbital perturbations, etc. Then, having to make the intercept, taking care to watch for velocity and closure, distance and weapon range. By the way, the engagement took place with my ship and the enemy kilometers apart, but due to the exceedingly fast speeds, I had less than 2 minutes to execute my attack before fly-by. I was able to target specific systems and modules and watch as the enemy ship silently took damage. It was fast, cold and peculiarly exciting. Weapons were located on the side of my vessel, so I first had to home in on the enemy ship, then turn to give it a broadside. Each weapon has very detailed statistics and charts. Even though I do not understand what most of it means, I couldn't help but smile.

Well, that just sold me...

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

dinsdale

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 24, 2016, 01:29:52 PM
My feel is that it is more mathematical than KSP. Additionally, unlike ksp, you don't directly control your craft in flight. You plot movement, burns and transitions on a map.

That sounds great, I far prefer navigation than manually controlling the burns.

Pinetree

I've curtailed my computer gaming (and purchasing) considerably recently but I think this one will make it's way into my steam collection.  I'm a big fan of Attack Vector:Tactical so this looks amazing.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

mikeck

I see on steam that there is no manual for this; a huge pet peeve of mine. Are the tutorials enough to explain everything or is this one of those "watch a lets play on YouTube" deals?

Edit:  also there is a trilogy (only two books done yet though)  that is called "through struggle the stars"
Authors last name is Lumpkin.  Great "hard"  military space opera in the near future. Uses near future weaponry and the spaceships are very fragile and nothing fancy about them.  They are just tubes with thrusters at the end basically. Like in this game.  Things like having to extend giant "heat sink" sails in order to get heat out off of the ship. These have to be retracted during combat because they are vulnerable. if they aren't and get destroyed then eventually people inside  Will die from the heat.  Combat can only go on so long before the internal heat sinks Phil because of the heat involved with the weaponry. Little things like that.  It is great hard near future military sci-fi. Seems to go along with this game very well
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on September 24, 2016, 05:11:40 PM
I see on steam that there is no manual for this; a huge pet peeve of mine. Are the tutorials enough to explain everything or is this one of those "watch a lets play on YouTube" deals?

I've only played two campaign missions so far, however, both contained tutorial information. The first addressed circular orbits and orbital operations. The second addressed elliptical orbits, and simple combat. Both tutorials were sufficient to explain the fundamentals and permit me to successfully accomplish the missions. I played the first mission twice to reinforce the concepts.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mikeck

great. My only other question is about weaponry. From the looks of the videos everyone shoots these orange tracer looking things or bright orange beams. Is that all there is or are the road variety of missile types for example ?  If so are there things like  Point defense or ECM systems ?   Additionally is it as detailed as having to build or put on weapon targeting systems or do you just stick on "lasers "
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on September 24, 2016, 05:26:54 PM
great. My only other question is about weaponry. From the looks of the videos everyone shoots these orange tracer looking things or bright orange beams. Is that all there is or are the road variety of missile types for example ?  If so are there things like  Point defense or ECM systems ?   Additionally is it as detailed as having to build or put on weapon targeting systems or do you just stick on "lasers "

There is a wealth of information on the systems and concepts modeled in the game here:

https://childrenofadeadearth.wordpress.com

Weaponry runs the gamut of beam, kinetic, missile, etc. and come in all different intensities, sizes and calibers. Some of the supplemental reading in game even explains why beams and projectiles look the way they do in game. Even that is scientific and accurate. Ballistics, armor, electronics, countermeasures, etc. it's all there.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mikeck

Wow. Ok: bought!
I've been waiting for a "realistic" space combat game for a decade. Aurora was the only one but I could only do it for a few days at a time as it had no graphics and I got tired of waiting 5 hours for combat to finish somewhere else. Even after the "fix" for that, it still occurred

Anyway, hope this fits the bill. Hopefully it's moddable. I imagine the community could go nuts with this

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 24, 2016, 05:56:23 PM
Quote from: mikeck on September 24, 2016, 05:26:54 PM

There is a wealth of information on the systems and concepts modeled in the game here:

https://childrenofadeadearth.wordpress.com

Weaponry runs the gamut of beam, kinetic, missile, etc. and come in all different intensities, sizes and calibers. Some of the supplemental reading in game even explains why beams and projectiles look the way they do in game. Even that is scientific and accurate. Ballistics, armor, electronics, countermeasures, etc. it's all there.

I could read the information on that site for fun even if I didn't have the game!