Children of a Dead Earth

Started by Jarhead0331, September 23, 2016, 12:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

This is either going to be epic, or completely boring. Thoughts?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/476530/

The Most Scientifically Accurate Space Warfare Simulator Ever Made.

Children of a Dead Earth is a simulation of true-to-life space warfare. Design your spacecrafts using real world technologies. Traverse the solar system using actual orbit mechanics. Command fleets as the solar system descends into war, and see if you have what it takes to become the victor.

Features

REAL SCIENCE, REAL TECHNOLOGY - Every technology, from the Nuclear Thermal Rockets, to the Railguns, to the Magnetoplasmadynamic Thrusters, was implemented using actual equations from Engineering and Physics textbooks and white papers. Everything aspect of these systems, efficiency, size, mass, power usage, heat dissipation, are all derived from valid equations.

CAMPAIGN AND SANDBOX MODES - Assume the role of an admiral and fight through a detailed storyline chronicling the descent of the solar system into all out war, spanning every planet in the solar system and everything in between. Or simply play in the sandbox, designing ships and pitting them against other ships.

EXTREMELY ACCURATE ORBITAL MECHANICS - With an N-Body Simulator (the kind NASA uses to plot actual spacecraft trajectories), all orbital phenomenon from hyperbolic orbits, Lagrange points, and orbital perturbation are all correctly simulated. Spacecrafts can stationkeep orbits, or enter into free falling perturbed orbits.

1:1 SCALE - The solar system is modeled completely to scale. The sizes of all planets, moons, and asteroids are accurately enormous, and the distance between them is similarly mindboggling huge. The extremely high orbital speed of your ships deep in high gravity orbits is correspondingly correct.

FREEFORM SHIP DESIGN - Build your spacecrafts out of rockets, propellant tanks, weapons, powerplants, radiators, and crew modules. Wrap it all up with multiple armor layers, and maybe a Whipple Shield to boot. The acceleration, moment of inertia, delta-v, and much more are all correctly calculated for all spacecrafts you design.

HIGHLY GRANULAR MODULE DESIGN - Tweak everything from the nozzle length or stoichiometric mixture ratio of your bipropellant rockets to the armature and rail dimensions of your railguns. The results of every change is seen in real time, from the change in your rocket's exhaust velocity, to your railgun's inductance or muzzle velocity.

PHYSICALLY ACCURATE MATERIAL PROPERTIES - All materials, chemical reactions, and spectra are physically correct. When your arclamp pumps your solid state laser, the pumping bands are need to have to match up with the actual emission spectra of your excitation gas. When the photon absorption of a material is needed, it is derived from actual refractive index spectra data.

IN-ENGINE MOD SUPPORT - The engine supports black box creation of untested or far future technology for modders to work with. All other game data, from levels to material properties, is also accessible to modders.

All of the above aspects combine to yield a space warfare simulator that is unparalleled in scientific realism. No other game combines the extremely accurate orbital mechanics, 1:1 scale of the solar system, and technology which is implemented 100% by scientific equations. If you ever wanted to know what space warfare would actually be like, this is the game for you.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Barthheart

It will certainly bore the crap outta the twitch crowd. Geeks like me and Capt. Darwin might enjoy it though.

QuoteHIGHLY GRANULAR MODULE DESIGN - Tweak everything from the nozzle length or stoichiometric mixture ratio of your bipropellant rockets to the armature and rail dimensions of your railguns. The results of every change is seen in real time, from the change in your rocket's exhaust velocity, to your railgun's inductance or muzzle velocity.

This should be highly enteraining. It's not like rocket design isn't a highly specialized science or anything... ::)

ArizonaTank

Definitely following this one.  My guess is that this won't be a game for "twitch jockeys."  Probably requiring a great deal of patience to set up shots using Newtonian physics.  I seem to recall Braben's "Frontier Elite II" back in the 90s, used Newtonian physics.  Combat took a while and required patience.  None of the "WWII fighters in space" mechanic that we have grown to expect.  I even seem to recall that energy weapons had instantaneous beams that made no noise.  None of those Star Wars like pulses that fly through space like giant tracer rounds.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

KyzBP

Quote from: Barthheart on September 23, 2016, 01:05:17 PM
It will certainly bore the crap outta the twitch crowd. Geeks like me and Capt. Darwin might enjoy it though.

QuoteHIGHLY GRANULAR MODULE DESIGN - Tweak everything from the nozzle length or stoichiometric mixture ratio of your bipropellant rockets to the armature and rail dimensions of your railguns. The results of every change is seen in real time, from the change in your rocket's exhaust velocity, to your railgun's inductance or muzzle velocity.

This should be highly enteraining. It's not like rocket design isn't a highly specialized science or anything... ::)

My guess is you'll see no less than 15 "Space Penises" in the first week.

tgb

I still haven't figured out Kerbal Space Program.

Freyland

I'm not a twitcher, but I can't see me spending my limited gaming time trying to get past the learning curve, when there is so much more accessible and tasty low hanging fruit available. Heck, I think the Gal Civ ship building editor is really neat, but I didn't do much with it because I wanted to get to the game itself.

Gusington

They probably should have just named it Space Penis Construction Set.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

"The Most Scientifically Accurate Space Warfare Simulator Ever Made."

It's a very grand claim. I hope it isn't unfounded. We'll see...
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Staggerwing

It sounds like Aurora with added plumage. Not saying that bad though...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Hofstadter

From what ive been reading its basically KSP with really big guns. Im quite interested in this, I could never get into KSP though. Space and physics terminology confuses me.
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Hofstadter on September 23, 2016, 09:09:34 PM
From what ive been reading its basically KSP with really big guns. Im quite interested in this, I could never get into KSP though. Space and physics terminology confuses me.

I'm finding this much more technical than KSP and although KSP is a very serious simulation behind all the cute kerbals, CODE is all science and all war.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

MikeGER

PHYSICALLY ACCURATE MATERIAL PROPERTIES - All materials, chemical reactions, and spectra are physically correct. When your arclamp pumps your solid state laser, the pumping bands are need to have to match up with the actual emission spectra of your excitation gas. When the photon absorption of a material is needed, it is derived from actual refractive index spectra data.

ah i see, so the manual is a PhD in physics and a master in engineering to round it up  ;)

the solution for gloves off real war in space is: manage to bring a small (in size, and high maneuverable ) high in yield nuclear warhead in the rough vicinity of the given target (spacecraft) and the gamma radiation flash just kills everything, men or semiconductors. you cant bring up enuf material to shield the hard gammy rays and fast neutrons..... this is not your cosmic rays background or a solar flare you can ride out inside the water storage tank of the spacecraft

you have to go underground in available suitable stellar objects like asteroids and moons and dwarf planets and fight from there 

Nefaro

This is something I'd really enjoy. 

I wonder how the "Sandbox" option works.  Is it just a single group vs group engagement to drop your toys into?  Or is it more like an open non-scripted campaign, with many possible engagements, and the time to build new/upgraded units?

Father Ted

Just had a look at this.  A few months ago I worked my way through the "Expanse" novels by James S. A. Corey.  They're basically all about this (though with a bit of alien stuff as well), so I might give it a go when it's on sale down the line.

tgb

Is there a decent tutorial, at least?