Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian C

Skoop

Got this in the sale, already have 20 hours in and am pretty happy with it.  A lot of detail in this game, I acutally like the loose with historical premise.  If I wanted to play out the history as it happened, I'd play WITE or WITW.

JasonPratt

One of the things I meant to check out during the sale but never did. Ah well, harvested plenty other things.

Meanwhile, iSorrow has started doing some sliiiiggghttly more serious fare, and was mighty impressed with this 1919 start mod which introduces a League of Nations mechanic.

(I assume everyone knows he's not quite SFW.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Ian C

Jarhead0331

Something even more challenging for the naval AI to overcome?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

RyanE

Every ship is a mine sweeper, at least once.

Ian C

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 22, 2018, 09:43:23 AM

They have re-wrtten Naval, naval-air and submarine warfare code from the ground up. Looking forward to seeing more.

Rayfer

Quote from: Ian C on August 22, 2018, 10:23:57 AM

They have re-wrtten Naval, naval-air and submarine warfare code from the ground up. Looking forward to seeing more.

A big +1

Ian C

Here's what is in the DLC so far:

Naval, naval-air and submarine warfare code re-written.

Unique naval sea zones with weather.

Ship designer. Modifiable naval vessels.

Naval Access. Change the naval routes of shipping/supply/trade/navies to go through or avoid specific sea zones.

Docking rights diplomatic actions (military access). Can request docking rights from neutrals to extend sea range.

Sea mines. Surface vessels, aircraft and subs can mine or sweep sea areas.

Fuel, fuel depots. Stockpiling fuel.
All units that historically use fuel will now use fuel.

Reworked National Focus Tree for UK. Allows ahistorical paths.

Custom Gameplay Rules (you can custom build aspects of  the AI)

Take over a Faction as leader.

More in detail here:

https://hoi4.paradoxwikis.com/Developer_diaries

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, the promised time has come:

iSorrow finally does the artillery-only challenge.

"Mwahaha, nothing like dropping 150 air-mobile divisions of artillery into the UK!"
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

dinsdale

Quote from: Ian C on August 22, 2018, 10:23:57 AM

Hopefully 5th time's a charm.

Ian C

Naval Commanders get new traits.

'Shallow Sea'. I guess this is the 'sea terrain' they were talking about.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi4-dev-diary-modding-and-traits.1117516/

Ian C

glen55

Oh yes.  :D :D :D

Today's dev diary FINALLY gives an overview of the naval changes that will occur in Man The Guns. And guys: it looks like they are actually doing the gigungeous overhaul that the naval system really  needs.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi4-dev-diary-naval-changes-1-overview.1124240/

A couple of fun snippets:

QuoteWe are effectively redoing most of the naval aspects of the game which is a herculean task. This means a lot of stuff might still end up seeing changes and are work in progress. My hope is that this will give you a good picture of what we are trying to accomplish. Expect that each of these sections below is probably gonna get its own diary.

QuoteFirst up let's talk about how we are changing the management of fleets. Fleets are now made up of task forces.

QuoteBefore Man the Guns the way ships would engage would essentially be based on a dice roll, meaning as long as you were in a zone, no matter how hard to find you were, combat would always ensue. We also struggled with every combat essentially sucking in every ship into a giant doomstack battle. This was also made worse because combats in HOI take a lot longer than in reality, yet movement on the map is similar, making reinforcement much too easy. To deal with this we have split up combat into essentially 2 parts. Spotting, and actual combat.

QuoteWhen it comes to combat we are aiming for less decisive battles, where composition matters more, and that are easier to understand, and where its easier to disengage when stuff goes badly.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Yskonyn

Sounds juicy!
It might finally make me start playing !
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."