Game covering Salerno landings?

Started by rocketman, May 16, 2017, 04:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocketman

I'm on the lookout for a PC/iOS game that covers the Salerno landings (Operation Avalanche) in quite some detail and not as a part of a larger campaign. Is there one?

Jarhead0331

Panzer Campaigns: Salerno '43 by HPS and Battles in Italy from Matrix, instantly come to mind.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Hofstadter

My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

rocketman

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 16, 2017, 04:46:19 PM
Panzer Campaigns: Salerno '43 by HPS and Battles in Italy from Matrix, instantly come to mind.
Forgot about the Panzer Campaigns series. Never played them but know that they are to be re-released with improved graphics and engine update. Eastern Front games first though. That is probably my best bet to wait for.

rocketman

Quote from: Hofstadter on May 16, 2017, 09:46:56 PM
http://test.slitherine.com/products/310/details/Battles.in.Italy

There's this, but fair warning it's the UGLIEST game Ive ever seen
Oh I know  :wow:
Korsun Pocket was my first "real" wargame and the ugliness (even back then) put me off hex games for a long time. I suppose the engine is fine - can't someone mod all the graphics please  :coolsmiley:

Cyrano

Salerno with the JIlson mods (still out there) is fairly decent looking and there's a good MP community out there if you're so inclined.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Warhorse

I did 2D and 3d mods for all the PzC HPS titles and some of the JT versions as well, I like them much better than Jison, but just my pref, I am biased! They are at the Blitz site here-http://www.theblitz.org/message_boards/showthread.php?tid=70252. They make the game as a new thing, also did the FWW ones as well. Decide for yourself.
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue

rocketman

Thanks for the mods suggestions. I will have a look at both of them. As far as I understand, all those who has purchased games in the series will get the coming update for free. So I might splash the cash now to still my craving.

Richie61

I have a few (PzC) Panzer Campaigns games. I would go with the Salerno '43 by JTS game in a minute. Plus adding Warhorse's mods is icing on the cake  O0
Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

rocketman

Quote from: Richie61 on May 18, 2017, 05:42:27 PM
I have a few (PzC) Panzer Campaigns games. I would go with the Salerno '43 by JTS game in a minute. Plus adding Warhorse's mods is icing on the cake  O0
That sounds promising. How does the series compare to Panzer Battles Normandy/Kursk) other than the scale? Does it play pretty much the same way.

Richie61

I am more a Squads Battle and Panzer Battles player, but Panzer Battles uses a lot of the PzC commands. PzC is 1 km hexes and 2 hour turns. It's uses big units like company and battalion.
I think you do a bit of micromanagement in PzC compared to say PzB (Panzer Battles). But it's because of the scale.

I am not the type that likes to manage supplies and command. I like to fight the battles  :)
Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

rocketman

I finally got the game and found both sets of mods and tried to install, but no luck  :'(
First thing I tried was renaming the stock folders and copied the mod folder to that directory. Nothing changed. Jison's mod set I then overwrote the stock folders with the mod and some things changed, but overall it crashed the graphics completely rendering the game unplayable. Win 10 issue? Can't support 1920*1200 res? Am I missing how mods should be applied to the game?

Warhorse

Yes, my mods are installed using JSGME, I used to state that, I think originally I did, but when I had to take down my first set, it got side-tracked? Anyway, here is the link to JSGME, unzip into each main game folder, dbl-clk on JSGME.exe, and follow prompts. To install a mod, put each mod into the Mods folder it creates, dbl-clk JSGME, see the mod on the left side, highlight, then right arrow in center to activate, hit ok and exit, start game! Reverse to de-activate, nothing gets permanently overwritten. Hope this helps, email me if you need further assistance at impalass(at)ptd(dot)net.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmEaW_rdp6RpgTcBQSII7yW63yAR
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue

Pinetree

Jison's MapMod is not compatible with the JTS versions of Panzer Campaigns. Check out this thread over at the blitz for more info: http://www.theblitz.org/message_boards/showthread.php?tid=67577
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Boggit

Quote from: Warhorse on May 17, 2017, 07:37:58 PM
I did 2D and 3d mods for all the PzC HPS titles and some of the JT versions as well, I like them much better than Jison, but just my pref, I am biased! They are at the Blitz site here-http://www.theblitz.org/message_boards/showthread.php?tid=70252. They make the game as a new thing, also did the FWW ones as well. Decide for yourself.
I like what you have done with the 3d terrain tileset. I'm not so keen on the camouflaged 3d unit counters, whose counter info looks difficult to read. Clarity is probably more important to me. Full marks for the 3 d terrain though - very nice! O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat