"Bromans" - Yes, this is a real thing

Started by bayonetbrant, September 01, 2017, 05:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

https://twitter.com/itv2/status/902921682570141698

https://pictorial.jezebel.com/bro-my-god-theyre-making-a-reality-tv-show-called-brom-1798664680

QuoteThere is an entire ecosystem of British reality TV that drifts across my feed without the finer details really registering. Couldn't really tell you what Love Island is, for instance. But occasionally something stops me in my tracks. For instance: Bromans, a (real) show about lads living as Roman gladiators.

Basically, it's a stock photo version of Ancient Rome come to tan, glistening, vivid life!

"Eight 21st century lads are to be transported back to the Roman Empire to see if they can cut it as gladiators," opened ITV's announcement, which continues:
QuoteThe handsome boys will fight it out with help from their loving girlfriends. They may have the muscles but do these lads have what it takes to go down in history? Cameras will follow eight modern day couples as they're transported to an ancient world where they'll live and fight like gladiators did 2000 years ago.

Along the way there'll be blood, sweat and tears. However, only the very best will make it through to the Emperor's Games where one of them will emerge victorious and take home the Emperor's gold (which today works out at 'approximately' £10,000!).

Oh yes, there's more.  There shouldn't be more.  But there is...

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Bawb, UCG, Boggit, JD - this is why we left  ::)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

yeah, we were dumb enough to make Jersey Shore

they took it to Housesteads and called it "historical"

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bbmike

I think this is one of the signs of the apocalypse.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Steelgrave

Given the crap you can find on tv it won't surprise me if it's a megahit. They should slot it next to whatever Kardashian garbage is still on the air and Big Brother. I weep for this generation   :timeout:

mirth

Suddenly I don't feel so bad about my 8 yr old getting his first impressions of the Vietnam era from Kong: Skull Island  :uglystupid2:

Steelgrave

The whole "bro" culture makes me want to throw up down my tunic into my sandals   :buck2:

mirth

Steelgrave

Quote from: mirth on September 01, 2017, 05:45:16 PM
So long as your tunic stays on

There's a breeze in the back....probably shouldn't have bought it from that medical supply store.

mirth

I came, I saw, I threw up in my mouth a little

Steelgrave

besilarius

And when a gladiator is down, and beggin the emperor for mercy, we can all cry out:  "Wewease Wodger!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX0XDHF3M60
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.