What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

The Exorcist is one movie I refuse to watch again.  Rosemary's Baby is another.

I haven't read much Stephen King, The Stand, and Eyes of the Dragon, and the first few Dark Tower books are the extent of it.  I liked The Stand the best by far.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

The Exorcist is tied with The Shining for me as my favorite horror movie of all time. The Fox show based (very loosely) on The Exorcist is supposed to good also, I need to watch it.

I know when the original Exorcist movie was released in 1973 it provoked a lot of protests from the Church and religious groups and I personally know a lot of people that won't watch it or let their families watch it. Makes sense since even today it is so extreme in its imagery/language...I can imagine in 1973 that it blew more than a few minds.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

I won't watch The Exorcist again because it scares the ever loving CRAP out of me.

BanzaiCat

I remember I was about 8 or so and wanted to read The Exorcist. I don't remember why but my mom was right there and I was looking at the book on the shelf and asked if I could read it.

She laughed a little and said "Nooo, sorry." ;D

Gusington

Have you seen a The Shining MD? Having seen pieces of it at like 6 or 8 I am sure it damaged my psyche a bit 🤓

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bbmike

Quote from: Toonces on September 23, 2017, 07:01:46 AM
I'm strongly considering hitting War and Peace next...another book I've always wanted to read and has been sitting on my bookshelf (and Kindle) for years now.

Did you know the original title was War, What is it Good For?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

MetalDog

Quote from: Gusington on September 23, 2017, 11:12:18 AM
Have you seen a The Shining MD? Having seen pieces of it at like 6 or 8 I am sure it damaged my psyche a bit 🤓

Yeah.  But it's been a while.  I was in my, "No movie is going to scare me," phase and I don't remember it being near as scary to me as The Exorcist.  Having said that, seeing it at 6 or 8 would scar me for life.  And I am not sure a viewing at my age now wouldn't do the same thing. 

Gusington

Especially The Shining's bathtub scene. When I saw that the first time my face must have looked exactly like Danny's, 'shining' it remotely.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

@ bbmike - no, I did not know that.

Debating between starting that, and running through The Deluge Trilogy again.  I'm not sure I'm ready for War and Peace...I'm kind of worn out from Les Mis, TBH.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

BanzaiCat

You gotta take your sour French attitude literature in doses, man.

bob48

I've just started reading Gormenghast (again).
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

I knew I had heard the word, Gormenghast, I didn't know anything about it.  A quick look at the Wiki is an eye opener:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gormenghast_(series)

bob48

If you've not read it, then I recommend it. I guarantee its like nothing you have read before.

Also;

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

About to start Into the Carpathians by Alan Sparks.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd