Decades Feeder Bracket - 1966 Round of 16

Started by MetalDog, September 24, 2017, 10:17:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

Doing these makes me realize how uneven some years are, and, up until now, I would say that every Bracket has had at least a few, "sacrifices."  Not so 1966.  This year is all killer, no filler.  There's not a song here that you don't know and ALL of them are simply awesome.  The split is even between 'rock' songs and 'soul' songs.  In the rock half, you have an entry from each of the 'Big Three,' The Beatles, The Who, and The Stones.  On the soul side, you have the Godfather of Soul, James Brown, joined by outstanding efforts from some of the biggest names, The Supremes, The Four Tops, and Sam and Dave.  It's going to be tough from the beginning and it will only get tougher as the choices are whittled down.  As always, thank you so much for voting and making this all happen.  :bd:

The 1/16

The 8/9

The 5/12

The 4/13

The 6/11

The 3/14

The 7/10

The 2/15

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Steelgrave

"All killer, no filler"....you got that one right! Great year for music. "Paint it Black" is still on my main playlist, the oldest song on there.

MetalDog

Yeah, it was a lot of fun to do.  And easier than you would have thought with all the great songs.  There was a fairly pronounced division between what to include against what to leave out once I determined it was going to be a half and half Bracket.  A lot of times I will try to put four songs together of the same genre.  I think it makes it more fun to look ahead to the next round when you have a tough decision to make among songs you like, knowing that you have next round to maybe vote for a song you still like.  But, with all the great Motown and soul songs that came out in '66, it was a no brainer to devote half the bracket to it.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob