PC Game Covering The Crusades?

Started by Gusington, July 20, 2017, 08:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I can't go home again  :'(

...I tried to play the Medieval 2 Total War Crusades campaign yesterday and just couldn't do it. The graphics were just too dated and I've played it probably 100 times.

So, are there any other games out there you can recommend that cover the Crusades? I already own Crusader Kings 2, Stronghold 2 and Age of Empires HD. None of them really grab me. But I am jonesing for a tactical level game (hopefully with a strategic campaign layer) on the Crusades, if one exists.

Any suggestions?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

(You also own Stronghold Crusader with its XXXTTREEEEMMEEE expansion. ;)  Which, unlike Stronghold 2, actually is about the Crusades.)

Some people like The King's Crusade which was on sale recently. Its reviews aren't great, though, and I haven't personally played it. It may be too much like M2TW, or not enough like it, however. (The same people made the King Arthur games which are sort of like an RPG version of MT2W, but are generally much better regarded than TKC.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

I tried to get into Stronghold Crusader but it was a little too cutesy for me, you know?

The King's Crusade, eh...I'll check it out.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

Quote from: Gusington on July 20, 2017, 08:20:07 PM
I can't go home again  :'(

...I tried to play the Medieval 2 Total War Crusades campaign yesterday and just couldn't do it. The graphics were just too dated and I've played it probably 100 times.

So, are there any other games out there you can recommend that cover the Crusades? I already own Crusader Kings 2, Stronghold 2 and Age of Empires HD. None of them really grab me. But I am jonesing for a tactical level game (hopefully with a strategic campaign layer) on the Crusades, if one exists.

Any suggestions?

Maybe a mod for "mount and blade"? Like one that simulates being a lord in Jerusalem crusading? Has to be something like that.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Gusington

I own Fire + Sword...I wonder if there will be a mod for that. Looking for something a little more strategic though. I don't know if it exists :(

The King's Crusade has some pretty harsh reviews against it too.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Neocore, the developer behind King Arthur made one I believe, but it was much more of a linear RPG then strategy game and I just didn't like it that much. Can't remember the name, but it was something like "crusades: Thy Kingdom Come"
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Anguille

Raied

The king's crusade is decent its fun for few hours only. I can suggest you a Northern Crusade if it interests you: Real Warfare 2 Northern Crusade http://store.steampowered.com/app/202860

Anguille

Knights of Honor is also still there.... ;)

Destraex

THere was a game which primarily dealt with Teutonic knights called real warfare northern crusades. Not that great though. Similar to total war.

THere is also assassins creed which was sort of fantasy crusades?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Toonces

I didn't care fore King's Crusade or Thy Kingdom Come at all.  I have both and tried to like them, but they are pretty linear and small scale compared to M2TW.

Like you, I enjoy gaming the Crusades and there are few choices.  What has been my late filler is Crusader Kings 2, playing as one of the crusading leaders and setting the start time just prior to the start of a crusade.  There is an awful lot more to do that just fight the Crusades battles, but it's a way to kind of get the flavor without going back to M2TW.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

I might do that...for lack of anything else out there 😓

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is always an option 😎

Thanks for the other suggestions guys. I LOVED the first NEOCORE King Arthur game but their subsquent releases, including Thy Kingdom Come, got more and more craptacular, it seems. The Real Warfare games have the same deal...not so great. That Last Templar game looks wacky fruity.

Anyone play that old RPG Lionheart? I have that through GOG and never cracked it open.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Raied

I think the computer wargame market desperately need more crusades games, maybe hoping for FOG2 future DLCs?

CJReich46

I'm surprised why AGEOD hasn't done anything with that period. Their engine used in Alea Jacta Est would lend itself nicely to that.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose