Main Menu

The Orville

Started by mirth, May 16, 2017, 11:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

It's funny, while I'm perfectly fine with toilet humor, I agree it's out of place, here. There were a couple of jokes in Ep 3 that seemed forced and were a little jarring considering the storyline...just shows me how wrapped up in that story I was.

mirth

This is an interesting break down of the various Treks that I generally agree with.

https://tv.avclub.com/beam-me-up-a-beginner-s-guide-to-the-star-trek-franchi-1798271640
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

I'll have to read that tomorrow. Right now I'm practicing eye rolling for the premier of Star Trek Discovery.
The main title sequence has already been released. Yes, I've already rolled my eyes at it.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Suddenly I miss the song from Enterprise.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bbmike

The Orville's theme song is better.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

BanzaiCat

I swear, you guys will bitch about anything.  ::)

That theme song is about a thousand times better than the Enterprise theme song.

Listening to diarrhea noises for an hour is better than listening to the Enterprise theme song.

The Orville's theme isn't bad, it's just...very average.

mirth

BanzaiCat

I'm just finding the ST hatred amusing.

I haven't watched it yet, though I have it queued up for later viewing. Who knows, I might be joining all y'all on that merry bandwagon soon.

Sir Slash

OK. The episode last night was a little better or else I'm just desperate for anything spaceships in it, but still silly at times and not very funny. I really thought there would be more Lib Preaching and less action in this one. I might be back for a third.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Edited to add: uh, sorry, what was this thread about again?  :-[
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 29, 2017, 03:26:19 PM
Edited to add: uh, sorry, what was this thread about again?  :-[

Batman. It's always about Batman.

GDS_Starfury

the surprise cameo was good and next week has the worlds hottest woman!
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Sir Slash

Barbie Benton? Or is it Steelie's cousin?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bayonetbrant

seen elsewhere online

QuoteI have figured it out!

'The Orville' is a perfect depiction of a Star Trek *roleplaying* campaign.

The GM is a huge SF and Star Trek fan, so he's trying to run complex, serious adventures rich with references to the full history of Star Trek and based around the moral dilemmas of classic science fiction.

But when it gets to the table, the *players* have other priorities. Even though they're big SF and Trek fans themselves (and enjoy playing the game), they -- like *all* RPG players -- can't help but drop in a constant stream of sarcasm and genre-subverting contemporary cultural references (which are damn funny, but clash with the GM's campaign style).

Seth, if you're listening, end the series finale with a pull-back to a bunch of folks sitting around a table rolling dice.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers