Alien: Covenant

Started by mirth, November 24, 2016, 09:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 27, 2017, 12:54:30 PM

Re Scott doing three sequels to Prometheus: I've heard the other one will be an intraquel going into the David/Shaw story in more detail. Whichever one they do first, who knows. Personally I'll be very surprised if they ever go back to the David/Shaw story.

I don't think we're going to see more than one last Alien film from Scott.   He said this on May 10...

"I'll probably be filming it within a year," Scott says about the follow up to 'Covenant'. "It'll be out within a year and nine months. It's weird when you're writing, doing, planning, thinking about franchises, it's amazing how it opens up and starts to evolve."

On whether that film, rumoured to be called 'Alien: Awakening', will complete the prequel series and lead us directly up to the events of the 1979 'Alien', Scott remains coy. "I don't know. [I'll make] maybe two more [films], or maybe one more, I don't know."
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

ghostryder

Quote from: SirAndrewD on May 27, 2017, 01:49:22 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on May 27, 2017, 12:54:30 PM

Re Scott doing three sequels to Prometheus: I've heard the other one will be an intraquel going into the David/Shaw story in more detail. Whichever one they do first, who knows. Personally I'll be very surprised if they ever go back to the David/Shaw story.

I don't think we're going to see more than one last Alien film from Scott.   He said this on May 10...

"I'll probably be filming it within a year," Scott says about the follow up to 'Covenant'. "It'll be out within a year and nine months. It's weird when you're writing, doing, planning, thinking about franchises, it's amazing how it opens up and starts to evolve."

On whether that film, rumoured to be called 'Alien: Awakening', will complete the prequel series and lead us directly up to the events of the 1979 'Alien', Scott remains coy. "I don't know. [I'll make] maybe two more [films], or maybe one more, I don't know."

I think Covenant's largest flaw is focusing on David rather than the Engineers. David just isn't that interesting whereas I can imagine a ton of interesting things for the Engineers.  Prometheus led everyone into thinking the next film would be about them. No wonder it hasn't done at the box office what it could have. They barely got 3 minutes of screen time.

mirth

Quote from: ghostryder on May 27, 2017, 03:14:48 PM
I think Covenant's largest flaw is focusing on David rather than the Engineers. David just isn't that interesting whereas I can imagine a ton of interesting things for the Engineers.  Prometheus led everyone into thinking the next film would be about them. No wonder it hasn't done at the box office what it could have. They barely got 3 minutes of screen time.

Michael Fassbender's performance has been universally acclaimed as one of the strongest parts of the movie. And the role of androids has always been a strong theme running through the movies.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

ghostryder

Yeah. the've done androids to death in the alien movies. enough already. it was time for something new. we thought we were going to get that but instead it was yet again another android. Not faulting his performance--- he did an excellent job---and i even knew the basic plot before the movie released--as i followed it during production---and knew of the focus---but anyone seeing prometheus had to be hoping for more on the Engineers---

mirth

Quote from: ghostryder on May 27, 2017, 07:43:00 PM
anyone seeing prometheus had to be hoping for more on the Engineers---

Not everyone
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

ghostryder

but they created you. You are their child.

Sir Slash

And then they decided to un-create us. And you think Washington wastes money. The wife and I saw it tonight and both of us liked it a lot. She hadn't seen any of the other Alien movies except for the original. I think it was a tad predictable and the crew was so dumb at times that you had to wonder why these were the guys they picked to wake-up first.  :hide:   But a very good movie and fits in well to follow-up Prometheus. I'd give it a 7.5 outta 10.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

SirAndrewD

I am not ok with where Scott went with the origins of the Xeno. 

At the same time I'm totally ok with where Scott went with the origins of the Xeno. 

The story is about creation, and hubiris in creation.  It's about children getting out of control of their parents.  It's the same themes that Scott hit so effectively in Blade Runner. 

I too would've liked to see the Engineers feature more, but the story as it stands is more effective, at least to me, as something about gods, absolutely lower case, behaving badly and stupidly, and fumbling about in the accident of creation, much in the way our parents fumble about in the accident of creating us. 

It won't resonate with everyone.  And yeah, there were much more scary ideas that I could create myself for the backstory of the Xeno.  But in the end, I'm down with where the story is going.  I may absolutely hate it at the end, but I'm going to let it get to that end before I make that complete decision.  Even if I hate it though, I respect the auteur's desire.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

ghostryder

Let me clarify dispite my dislikes overall I'd certainly rate the movie above anything else done after aliens. The alien in this is a badass and the action parts are awesome. I do not regret going to see it---it was nice as we went to the early show and had the whole theater to ourselves.And the visuals in the film really make a theater viewing worth it.

Gusington

Slash you didn't even call me! Fine, man.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I did call you. The Rottweiler answered and said you were working. I NEVER argue with Rottweilers.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

^That is true except for the part about the Rottie...he's dead.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

OJsDad

Was this the inlaws Rott.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Sir Slash

Died of..... natural causes did he? Or was it an 'unfortunate accident'? Because the, "He must have gotten hit on the road" excuse doesn't work with Rotties. Unless you got army tanks driving by outside your house. Anyway, R.I.P. Mr. Rottweiler.

Gusington

He died when I put him down. He had bone cancer, two summers ago  :-\

Now we have Clyde, world's largest lap dog. He's about 100 lbs. of love - Swiss Mountain Dog.

Cool guy who has taught me the difference between a watch dog and a guard dog.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd