This Weekend's Feature: An Extended AAR for Order of Battle Pacific - US Marines

Started by bayonetbrant, August 27, 2016, 06:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 25, 2016, 02:11:58 PM
Hm, I'm thinking yellow (and thicker) notation marks henceforth, to distinguish them visually better from the game's supply radii.

I "think" I got better using MS Paint as I wrote this up.  I used a lot more yellow.  Main points & titles were in large print.  Smaller points were in smaller print. 
This was the first AAR that I tried to use Paint, so hopefully by the end of this I had gotten up the learning curve a bit.

Boggit

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

GroggyGrognard

Airboy,

Great AAR.

I've been reading the forum and game reviews on the Order of Battle game series over the past year. I've read both positive and negative feedback opinions about the game.

In your humble opinion, would you recommend the game?

Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

airboy

Quote from: GroggyGrognard on October 01, 2016, 10:05:14 AM
Airboy,

Great AAR.

I've been reading the forum and game reviews on the Order of Battle game series over the past year. I've read both positive and negative feedback opinions about the game.

In your humble opinion, would you recommend the game?

Groggy

I like the game.  I've played the Chinese-Japanese war and enjoyed it a lot.  I think the US Marines scenario is also very good.  I've not played either the core Japanese or USA games in Order of Battle yet. 

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

Getting the North Mona marine landing completely wiped out scarred me for the rest of the Pacific campaign.  My willingness to split my forces to speed up taking an island shrank considerably after that.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

I think I finally figured out how to use Paint to show what is happening in the battles in the Tarawa scenario.

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Glad you enjoyed it.  It inspired a lot of reading and some horror.  Mona and Palau both creeped me out in the Japanese defense.  The game captures the Marines starting on a shoestring and ending up with a steamroller. 

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!