Carrier (Solitaire, VG)

Started by BanzaiCat, August 06, 2013, 11:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

There needs to be a "GoG" for board games. I'd pay for a vassal version of this game.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Rekim

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 20, 2017, 06:51:11 PM
Quote from: Rekim on January 20, 2017, 06:43:14 PM
Plus a cool upgrade of the map.

Would that be Gary's upgrade you're talking about?

Nope. It is user created map available for download from BGG.

Here is preview of it from the print shop I used.

Rekim

Now that I think of it, this map does incorporate Gary's work. I'm sure Gary will let us know for certain.

Rekim

Quote from: bbmike on January 20, 2017, 07:32:18 PM
There needs to be a "GoG" for board games. I'd pay for a vassal version of this game.

there is a VASSAL module for Carrier.

bbmike

Quote from: Rekim on January 20, 2017, 08:08:17 PM
Quote from: bbmike on January 20, 2017, 07:32:18 PM

there is a VASSAL module for Carrier.

True, but no rules to go along with it. That's common for a lot of Vassal modules.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

GJK

That map upgrade above (very well done by the way) isn't mine and I don't think he used my redrawn map within his frame, I think his is a straight scan IIRC.  My map is the one that was used (and then modified some more) for the Ipad conversion (this screenshot is from the ZunTzu gamebox that I made (with upgraded counters as well).

If anybody wants a 300dpi print of my map, let me know and I'll upload it to my dropbox.  The map upgrade here is also made to be printed and either one will work very nicely though I think the original map is just fine as well.  By the way, there already is a VASSAL module for the game that I worked with "-E" on (who I think is Eric Lee Smith but I can't verify that) - he did the programing and I added my first rendition of the map.  It's been on my to-do list to upgrade that module with all new graphics (and larger) and ease of use functions.  Just got to find the time-

Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

DennisS

Quote from: Rekim on August 07, 2013, 11:19:54 AM
Another Carrier player chiming in to recommend you get to punching those counters (following a light application of clear-coat) ASAP. It takes some persistence to make it through the rulebook, however the end results are totally worth it. The game packs a wicked AI and focuses on the interesting/fun aspects of commanding a WWII carrier group.

I also own a copy of Tokyo Express that I've yet to play. I'm sure to get around to it eventually considering the high regard I have for Carrier. I've heard scary things bout the TE rulebook though...

Both of these titles are good candidates for modding; good user mods available for download.

I have Carrier! and Tokyo Express. They play completely differently, but the one thing they have in common is that the programmed AI WILL crush the life out of you. Terrific solo games.

BanzaiCat

I have Tokyo Express also, and also unpunched. Thus far anyway.

Rekim

Quote from: DennisS on January 21, 2017, 08:32:28 AM
I have Carrier! and Tokyo Express. They play completely differently, but the one thing they have in common is that the programmed AI WILL crush the life out of you. Terrific solo games.

I still need to punch/play Tokyo Express. I expect it will be as challenging and enjoyable as Carrier...super interesting subject matter to boot. I've greatly reduced my game purchases over the last year, so hopefully will run out of excuses soon.

Think I mentioned this to you previously DennisS; I purchased my copy of Carrier from a member named Dennis on Wargamer several years ago. Picked it up for $40, which is a real steal these days.

DennisS

Quote from: Rekim on January 21, 2017, 07:04:30 PM
Quote from: DennisS on January 21, 2017, 08:32:28 AM

I still need to punch/play Tokyo Express. I expect it will be as challenging and enjoyable as Carrier...super interesting subject matter to boot. I've greatly reduced my game purchases over the last year, so hopefully will run out of excuses soon.

Think I mentioned this to you previously DennisS; I purchased my copy of Carrier from a member named Dennis on Wargamer several years ago. Picked it up for $40, which is a real steal these days.

Through the years, I have gotten rid of dozens, if not hundreds of boardgames. Most were wargames, and this has bothered me a lot. I could stock a gaming store with all the solo games I no longer have. I do believe that this group of grognards couldn't name ten solo wargames I haven't owned, out of all the solo wargames ever produced. Sad, really.

Rekim

That doesn't sound so bad to me Dennis. It's probably better to get those unplayed games back in circulation, while freeing up cash for future purchases. I know a fellow who claims to have 2000+ wargames in his collection. Personally, that would bother me a lot more.

I've done reasonable well at limiting my purchases over the years (~30 wargames, never sold any). I still have a bitch of a time getting back to the really good ones due to the one or two new shiny games in my collection that scream for attention. Really have a hankering for a good long campaign of Steel Wolves at the moment, but sooo hard to make that 300+ hour commitment of table and personal time.

bbmike

-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

jmkinki

Quote from: Rekim on January 20, 2017, 07:58:39 PM

Nope. It is user created map available for download from BGG.

Here is preview of it from the print shop I used.

Uhmmm.... that map is very familiar for me....

:2funny:

But you haven't the counters...  ;)

Rekim

The original counters just scream for an update don't they.

Love the graphics on yours.