Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

If I remember correctly it uses a CAM system. Its a system where metal plates where the rotation of the axis 'rolls' over have a specific curve to determine resistance and throw.
The stick should come with 3 different cams and then additionally 3 different springs to adjust tension.

Edit: From their website:

"MongoosT-50 base gimbal is built to last. Due to our gimbals unique design, it is particularly well suited for providing uncompromised stick feel, even when using an extension.

Offering completely tunable axes, 3 spring types are included:

Aerobatic (light)
Standard (medium)
Hardcore (heavy)
Also included are 3 different cams:

Hard center
Soft center
No center
Each axis's spring tension can then be fine tuned on-the-fly through the access ports on the top plate, without the need to disassemble the joystick."
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on August 21, 2018, 02:53:20 PM
If I remember correctly it uses a CAM system. Its a system where metal plates where the rotation of the axis 'rolls' over have a specific curve to determine resistance and throw.
The stick should come with 3 different cams and then additionally 3 different springs to adjust tension.

Edit: From their website:

"MongoosT-50 base gimbal is built to last. Due to our gimbals unique design, it is particularly well suited for providing uncompromised stick feel, even when using an extension.

Offering completely tunable axes, 3 spring types are included:

Aerobatic (light)
Standard (medium)
Hardcore (heavy)
Also included are 3 different cams:

Hard center
Soft center
No center
Each axis's spring tension can then be fine tuned on-the-fly through the access ports on the top plate, without the need to disassemble the joystick."

Yes, the Mongoose T50 comes with those extras.

I picked up the Warthog stick because the Mongoose bases (those with the cams in them) are "Out Of Stock" so I couldn't get a whole stick.

Yskonyn

Ahhhh right. Lol I thought you managed to find one afterall.
No, the tension on the WH stick cannot be adjusted unless you start modding it.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

So their new 14 aircraft equivalent of a Flaming Cliffs 4 is coming out soon.

Looks like they're adding stuff like the F-5, MiG-21, the two Korean era jets, and a trainer to the non-clickable cockpit stable of flyable aircraft in it.  Plus it appears to be adding a mouse & keyboard flying option for new & low budget gamers (which is fine for such introductions I imagine). 

Dunno if I'll upgrade since I'd only be adding the Korean & trainer aircraft which I'm not all that interested in flying compared to what I already have. 

Quite happy to hear that the upgraded MiG-29 flight model is in testing right now.  :coolsmiley:  Seems like a couple years we've been waiting on it.   

Destraex

This new module is simplified iirc
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

jomni

Quote from: Destraex on September 22, 2018, 07:28:31 PM
This new module is simplified iirc

Which is perfect for me.  It's basically the next iteration of Flaming Cliffs.

mikeck

Perfect for me. I get an hour of so of gaming at a time...can't spend it doing flight checks and warming up engines. I DO like realistic flight modeling and weapons to some extent. It's the engine management that gets me
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on September 23, 2018, 12:04:48 AM
Perfect for me. I get an hour of so of gaming at a time...can't spend it doing flight checks and warming up engines. I DO like realistic flight modeling and weapons to some extent. It's the engine management that gets me

There is more engine management in IL-2 than there is in DCS. Not sure what you are referring too. None of the flight checks done on the ground in DCS are actually necessary. They are included in tutorials for realism, but they can all be skipped. There are also quick start up cheats FYI. Press one button and you're ready to taxi.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 23, 2018, 04:20:13 AM

There is more engine management in IL-2 than there is in DCS. Not sure what you are referring too. None of the flight checks done on the ground in DCS are actually necessary. They are included in tutorials for realism, but they can all be skipped. There are also quick start up cheats FYI. Press one button and you're ready to taxi.

The quick start hotkey combo starts up the engines & electrical.  There are still some avionics, radar, weapons, etc left over to turn on or adjust.   It does cut down on the start-up load though.

I've always been fine with not having clickable 'pits and just using the keyboard.  I tend to bind most everything I can to my HOTAS or keyboard anyway, as it's much easier than using the mouse and trying to hold my TrackIR still on the cockpit button I'm trying to click while in the air.  So the cockpit clicking in mostly just the start-up routine. 

The real question is if I already own the full fidelity aircraft they're adding to this new edition, why would I be in a rush to get it?

Jarhead0331

My point is, you can taxi and take off with the quick start hot key. You do not need to mess with your radar and weapon systems in order to get off the ground and fly. Of course, other tasks are necessary in order to do more than fly the aircraft.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 23, 2018, 08:18:57 AM
My point is, you can taxi and take off with the quick start hot key. You do not need to mess with your radar and weapon systems in order to get off the ground and fly. Of course, other tasks are necessary in order to do more than fly the aircraft.

No weapons or radar?  Are you mad?! 

The 'splody bits are the funnest part! 

<:-)

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 23, 2018, 04:20:13 AM

In Il-2 and it's Ilk, I turn off complex engine management. That's what I'm sayjng. I want to hit "e" to have the engines on and then throttle. I don't want to have to turn on a battery, then a compressor, wait 2
Minutes for warm up, turn on fuel, start engine A then B, etc

For me, the complexity level of Flaming Cliffs 3 is PERFECT. So, I'm happy to see DCS upgrading it of only to add 2 planes. Frankly, I wish I could get a "Flaming Cliffs 3" style of aircraft for each DCS plane released.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

The F-18, Su-33, and Persian Gulf map are going to be Free-to-play this weekend.

Tuna

Hmmm a Weekend? I think, I could get through an engine start if I worked hard at it over the weekend!  >:D

Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on September 27, 2018, 05:51:43 AM
Hmmm a Weekend? I think, I could get through an engine start if I worked hard at it over the weekend!  >:D

On a Su-33? 

1) Select Loadout & Fuel.

2) Press RShft+L (electrical), RAlt+Home, and RCtrl+Home (engines).  Prep'd to boogie.

:cowboy: