Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

The Open Conflict server sometimes goes missing off the server list, after the guy running it does an update to the host mission or wotnot.

Check the server's thread on the ED forums if it doesn't show.  He may have posted a direct IP connect after doing an update (or crash?).

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=145886&page=162

Nefaro

I'll start learning a ground attack aircraft before too long.  I'm already used to getting shot at, so it won't be much of a change other than weapons employment.  :)

While the Mirage 2000C can carry a few dumb bombs & rocket pods, and drop some buddy-lased LGBs, I'll start learning a dedicated attack craft. 

Probably start off with the "normal" (and free!) Su-25T.  I recall it being relatively easy to learn, and the weapons very straightforward.  Will eventually move to the A-10C, but that's a LOT more cockpit work.  ^-^

Tuna

I fired up the A-10 this morning (before World of warships).. My old checklist for startup worked for me, even though it was a lengthy process. I wanted to try and import my old 'profile' for my Joystick mappings, but the 'import' button seemed grayed out. Am I missing something. Tried exiting the plane and doing it from the main menu, but still, I couldn't import anything.

Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on October 19, 2016, 02:29:15 PM
I fired up the A-10 this morning (before World of warships).. My old checklist for startup worked for me, even though it was a lengthy process. I wanted to try and import my old 'profile' for my Joystick mappings, but the 'import' button seemed grayed out. Am I missing something. Tried exiting the plane and doing it from the main menu, but still, I couldn't import anything.

v1.5 has a modified game engine over previous ones, so that's probably the import issue.

Tuna

But I don't even get to the point where I can chose a file

Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on October 19, 2016, 03:00:42 PM
But I don't even get to the point where I can chose a file

You have to select a space in the appropriate hardware's column.

For example: 

I have 3 pieces of additional hardware showing up in DCS;

Joystick | Pedals | Throttle |

You have to save/load profiles FOR EACH COLUMN. 

So you select one of the map-able spaces below whichever piece of hardware you originally saved (while it was selected).  For example, when saving or loading for that specific aircraft's joystick:

Joystick | Pedals | Throttle |

(clicked)|             |              |
             |             |              |
             |             |              |

(THEN save or load)

Tuna

That was it you DCS genius you!.. lol. of course I didn't export properly before.. just did the HTML file  :idiot2:

Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on October 19, 2016, 04:15:08 PM
That was it you DCS genius you!.. lol. of course I didn't export properly before.. just did the HTML file  :idiot2:

It's a weird profile saving control scheme, for sure.

I knew about it, years ago, but had totally forgotten.  Was having the same issue, trying to load up a profile, and investigated.  That piece of memory was deep down in my mental
Recycle Bin.

Just remember.... if you have more than one piece of hardware with mapped buttons - save each column in a separate file.   I have "F15throttle" and "F15fighterstick" saved as separate files, for examplle.

Just played a sortie on 16thAGR's conflict server.  No AMRAAMs, R-77s, or ER missiles allowed.  So it's all about the older semi-active radar missiles, like the AIM-7M and R-27R.   Makes for more of an 80s situation between that and having largely Bloc vs NATO sides.  And a little easier to let the F-5 and MiG-21 compete.  :coolsmiley:  A tad laggy here & there though. 

Nefaro

Getting my Su-25T button set up and tested tonight.

Nearly done with the bulk of the settings.  Just gotta test & adjust.  Then it's bombin' time.   >:D

jomni

That's the problem with DCS. We all would like to fly different aircraft to break the monotony. But it involves mapping and re-learning.

I get scared firing it up after a long period of inactivity.  Instarted with A-10. Stopped then got back with F15.

I got an F-15 campaign (Red Flag) ongoing. Then after RF I can go play the other campaigns. MP didn't come to mind. Though it could be fun.

F-15 is easy to get into but I like ground attack too.  I dabbled into the Su25 training and it was fun.  At the back of my mind, you get the most out of DCS if you stick to one plane for an extended period of time.  Any other suggested planes?  Maybe get proficient in multirole aircraft like Su27. Fly it for a year,
do campaign and MP.  Has anyone actually stuck to a single aircraft?

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on October 19, 2016, 08:07:38 PM
That's the problem with DCS. We all would like to fly different aircraft to break the monotony. But it involves mapping and re-learning.

I get scared firing it up after a long period of inactivity.  Instarted with A-10. Stopped then got back with F15.

I got an F-15 campaign (Red Flag) ongoing. Then after RF I can go play the other campaigns. MP didn't come to mind. Though it could be fun.

F-15 is easy to get into but I like ground attack too.  I dabbled into the Su25 training and it was fun.  At the back of my mind, you get the most out of DCS if you stick to one plane for an extended period of time.  Any other suggested planes?  Maybe get proficient in multirole aircraft like Su27.

The A-10C is the worst plane in the game to get set-up and learned.  I'm in no hurry with that one. 

The free Su-25T is much more straightforward.  "Normal" avionics modeling like the F-15, although it has a wider variety of weapons and the Laser targeting system to learn (it's not bad).

The F-15 is the easiest.  Having the 'Normal' avionics modeling, but newer flight modeling & such, makes it a lot of fun without a lot of time required to get into it.  Of course, it doesn't have air-to-ground option.

If you're okay with the F-15, then the Su-27 is the other option with similar 'Normal' modeling and new FM.  Being Russian, the HUD and such works a bit differently but it's pretty intuitive in this case.  It can also carry some non-guided air-to-ground weapons.  It's a lot of fun.  I've been trying to get used to it's Air-To-Air strengths against F-15s. 

Having no AMRAAM equivalent for it's use in-game, you either have to use SARH missiles (guided by firing craft like the Sparrow) or it's long range heat-seeker equivalent (which doesn't do all that well when it arrives unless it has more of a rear aspect).  So the Su-27 is at a disadvantage in BVR. 

But it's also a bit more nimble than an F-15, and has the passive Electro-Optical sensor, which can help you sneak up on people with those long range Heaters, without tipping them off having your radar on.  That's what I need to work on more.   >:D

They're supposed to be redoing the MiG-29's flight modelling soon, too.  I suppose they're gonna put it up for separate sale, like the F-15 and Su-27.  It's much like the 27, but shorter ranged and extremely nimble.  It can also carry the R-77 missile in DCS, which is like the AMRAAM although it's a bit shorter ranged.  The MiG-29 can also carry air-to-ground ordinance, but it can't carry as large a payload as the 27 (6 pylons/ 6 missiles plus a small drop tank).  I'm really looking forward to the MiG-29's FM update, I love the sexy little bastard, despite it's small fuel load.  :)

jomni

The 29 is out of my radar for some reason.  I thought it carries older tech than the 27.  But since you mentioned FM, it will be the modernised version.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Nefaro on October 19, 2016, 08:43:14 PM
Quote from: jomni on October 19, 2016, 08:07:38 PM

F-15 is easy to get into but I like ground attack too.  I dabbled into the Su25 training and it was fun.  At the back of my mind, you get the most out of DCS if you stick to one plane for an extended period of time.  Any other suggested planes?  Maybe get proficient in multirole aircraft like Su27.

The A-10C is the worst plane in the game to get set-up and learned.  I'm in no hurry with that one. 

The free Su-25T is much more straightforward.  "Normal" avionics modeling like the F-15, although it has a wider variety of weapons and the Laser targeting system to learn (it's not bad).

The F-15 is the easiest.  Having the 'Normal' avionics modeling, but newer flight modeling & such, makes it a lot of fun without a lot of time required to get into it.  Of course, it doesn't have air-to-ground option.

If you're okay with the F-15, then the Su-27 is the other option with similar 'Normal' modeling and new FM.  Being Russian, the HUD and such works a bit differently but it's pretty intuitive in this case.  It can also carry some non-guided air-to-ground weapons.  It's a lot of fun.  I've been trying to get used to it's Air-To-Air strengths against F-15s. 

Having no AMRAAM equivalent for it's use in-game, you either have to use SARH missiles (guided by firing craft like the Sparrow) or it's long range heat-seeker equivalent (which doesn't do all that well when it arrives unless it has more of a rear aspect).  So the Su-27 is at a disadvantage in BVR. 

But it's also a bit more nimble than an F-15, and has the passive Electro-Optical sensor, which can help you sneak up on people with those long range Heaters, without tipping them off having your radar on.  That's what I need to work on more.   >:D

They're supposed to be redoing the MiG-29's flight modelling soon, too.  I suppose they're gonna put it up for separate sale, like the F-15 and Su-27.  It's much like the 27, but shorter ranged and extremely nimble.  It can also carry the R-77 missile in DCS, which is like the AMRAAM although it's a bit shorter ranged.  The MiG-29 can also carry air-to-ground ordinance, but it can't carry as large a payload as the 27 (6 pylons/ 6 missiles plus a small drop tank).  I'm really looking forward to the MiG-29's FM update, I love the sexy little bastard, despite it's small fuel load.  :)
Posts like this keep me checking these forums.

Thanks Nef.  O0   That post might well be the trigger to me actually sticking to what I say when I say I'm going to fire up DCS this weekend.
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on October 19, 2016, 09:22:45 PM
The 29 is out of my radar for some reason.  I thought it carries older tech than the 27.  But since you mentioned FM, it will be the modernised version.

The MiG-29 and the Su-27 were being developed at the same time.  The 27 just took longer to test & redesign.  It's a huge and rather odd-looking aircraft, and they had to make a lot more adjustments when it was in development. 

IIRC, the Su-27 entered Soviet service about 2 years after the 29 ('83->'85).  The MiG was meant to be a shorter-range, shorter take-off "point defense" fighter that could be scrambled from rough forward fields quickly, and wasn't meant to loiter for long periods.  While the Su-27 is more of a long range interceptor, like the F-15.  Even though it's airframe, and perhaps also that of the MiG-29, was suspected to have been influenced more by the F-18's early development.

The Su-27 is fun to fly.  It doesn't have any fly-by-wire flight assistance, so you'll be trimming them a lot, just FYI. 

The MiG-29 currently has an old flight model.  I still enjoy flying it, especially since it's probably the best turn fighter in the sim, but the difference is notable.  It oscillates too much with control inputs, and is a bit too precise at low speeds.  Will be stoked when it gets updated. 

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 20, 2016, 12:46:57 AM

Posts like this keep me checking these forums.

Thanks Nef.  O0   That post might well be the trigger to me actually sticking to what I say when I say I'm going to fire up DCS this weekend.

I've become so addicted to flying DCS multi-player in the past week.  "Air Quakeâ„¢"!  :))  And I have yet to start flying ground attack or helos in them! 

Granted, it took the first couple days to get all my HOTAS keybinds settled in, and extra key commands written down, but actually learning the Flaming Cliffs 3 level of aircraft (F-15, Su-27/33, MiG-29, A-10A, Su-27/27T) has been fairly easy.  Especially the F-15. 

Also had to brush up on missile avoidance tactics, but you get to practice that while flying in the sim so it's all good.  Plus there is some satisfaction to be had from dodging multiple SAMs and/or AtA missiles.   ^-^  The toughest trick is to figure out at what moment you've done so, and take advantage of the opportunity to turn back and attack your attacker.  The TacView program has helped me improve at this, although there is still plenty of room left to get better.  O0

Multi-player is really the only way to enjoy DCS.  Somewhat unfortunate that a few community members have to be the ones creating the MP environments with the editor, and running them on the MP servers.  DCS is really just a work-in-progress Sim Toolbox.  As is so often the case with such things, the players are the ones keeping the meat of the experience alive.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Nefaro on October 20, 2016, 11:52:06 AM
Quote from: jomni on October 19, 2016, 09:22:45 PM

The MiG-29 and the Su-27 were being developed at the same time.  The 27 just took longer to test & redesign.  It's a huge and rather odd-looking aircraft, and they had to make a lot more adjustments when it was in development. 

IIRC, the Su-27 entered Soviet service about 2 years after the 29 ('83->'85).  The MiG was meant to be a shorter-range, shorter take-off "point defense" fighter that could be scrambled from rough forward fields quickly, and wasn't meant to loiter for long periods.  While the Su-27 is more of a long range interceptor, like the F-15.  Even though it's airframe, and perhaps also that of the MiG-29, was suspected to have been influenced more by the F-18's early development.

The Su-27 is fun to fly.  It doesn't have any fly-by-wire flight assistance, so you'll be trimming them a lot, just FYI. 

The MiG-29 currently has an old flight model.  I still enjoy flying it, especially since it's probably the best turn fighter in the sim, but the difference is notable.  It oscillates too much with control inputs, and is a bit too precise at low speeds.  Will be stoked when it gets updated. 

The last issue of Modern War had an article on the development of the Su-27.  In the late 1960s, the Soviets put out a call for the design of a fighter with long range, good short-field performance, excellent agility, Mach 2+ speed, and heavy armament, in order to respond against the new F15. The requirements proved too challenging for one aircraft, and that is how the project ended up being split between the Mig29 and the Su-27.

According to the article, the Su-27 most certainly possesses fly-by-wire technology. In fact, it was the cause of several fatal crashes of a few of the early prototypes. Apparently, the Su-27 was the Soviet Union's first operational use of a fly-by-wire system.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18