Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

I have not tried with BOS/BOM, but I have both, so I will explore it.

it is difficult to access the keyboard while flying. I've tried to map as many critical keys as possible to my HOTAS, and sort of feel around on the keyboard for the controls that are necessary. On occasion, I will lift the visor to sneak a peak at the keyboard.

So far, I've started on the runway with engines running and really just flown around in free flight, so I haven't really needed the keyboard for much. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

I had forgotten about my concerns with flight sims and their plethora of keys.

I could imagine this being excellent for driving sims though.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

As we're talking about VR here

Nothing ground breaking in terms of what people know/suspect. Seems like VR is doing similar in terms of "take up" or acceptance as other important gadgets the last couple of decades
Alba gu' brath

Pete Dero

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 21, 2016, 07:28:07 AM
As we're talking about VR here

You really like that girl from The Know, don't you .. ;)

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

I can't watch that video, but VR is not dead. It is very much alive, and it is undeniably the future of gaming.

If saying its going to die helps people feel better about not spending the money to experience it, I get it, but the technology is here to stay.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

That isn't the gist of the video...it was raising the point about take up, yes, but it was also comparing the take up rate to things like mobile phones - saying the take up rate was similar and it was something like 10 years for mobile phones to actually go through the roof.

They were also pointing out price, people who could/would pay as opposed to people being more cautious.

The gist of the video was as you say - just because it's had a slow take up (down to price, game support, variety etc), does not mean it's dead or even dying.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 21, 2016, 11:41:34 AM
That isn't the gist of the video...it was raising the point about take up, yes, but it was also comparing the take up rate to things like mobile phones - saying the take up rate was similar and it was something like 10 years for mobile phones to actually go through the roof.

They were also pointing out price, people who could/would pay as opposed to people being more cautious.

The gist of the video was as you say - just because it's had a slow take up (down to price, game support, variety etc), does not mean it's dead or even dying.

Interesting point about cell phones and it definitely makes sense. It took some time for the technology to get small enough, fast enough, reliable enough before it really became the standard. What is staggering to me is that the technology is so impressive in its current state that it is hard to image what it will be like once it matures...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

...and that was what the piece was about - title probably suggested otherwise though  ;)

As I said before (and this goes for people buying games full price as well as tech) - it's kudos to those early adopters taking the plunge that makes things stick or not. I can't see VR going anywhere - it's here, it'll mature and it'll get support.

It's just got to become more available, more affordable and have more support from developers.

I do fear that keyboard games may well not take well. DCS may not be too back with it's study sims and their clickable cockpits. I don't have the space to have a dedicated VR space - so it would likely be a toy for sitting rather than moving around in a VR world.
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

I just hope flying with VR doesn't make me deathly ill.  Would doubly suck, dropping a chunk of green on it to only find it ends up being an ice pick through the temples and not being able to experience it. 

Do they currently have some kind of open area, along the bottom of the VR goggles, where you can glance down and see your keyboard or notes?  That could also possibly save me from the motion sickness, being able to see a sliver of my surroundings move along with my noggin.  Or worse, I dunno.  *shrug*

Nefaro

Also.. a DCS question:

Any of you done multi-player in recent months?  Server suggestions for us filthy casuals?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Nefaro on September 21, 2016, 01:00:55 PM
I just hope flying with VR doesn't make me deathly ill.  Would doubly suck, dropping a chunk of green on it to only find it ends up being an ice pick through the temples and not being able to experience it. 

Do they currently have some kind of open area, along the bottom of the VR goggles, where you can glance down and see your keyboard or notes?  That could also possibly save me from the motion sickness, being able to see a sliver of my surroundings move along with my noggin.  Or worse, I dunno.  *shrug*

I've heard people have found a way to modify the Occulus to create an opening beneath the visor so you can snag a glimpse of the keys, etc. I haven't really looked into what people are doing with the Vive.

I do get an "uneasy" feeling when I fly with the visor on, but for me, it is totally bearable and does not ruin the experience. I'm getting into Elite Dangerous in VR and it is truly an amazing experience, even with a little bit of light nausea. Its totally worth it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 21, 2016, 01:05:14 PM

I've heard people have found a way to modify the Occulus to create an opening beneath the visor so you can snag a glimpse of the keys, etc. I haven't really looked into what people are doing with the Vive.

I do get an "uneasy" feeling when I fly with the visor on, but for me, it is totally bearable and does not ruin the experience. I'm getting into Elite Dangerous in VR and it is truly an amazing experience, even with a little bit of light nausea. Its totally worth it.
What is the weight like? It certainly looks chunky...is it something you notice considerably if you were playing a game for an hour or more?
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

The slow slide of the inevitable purchase JD?!

1. It's not for me
2. But does it do that?
3. But does it do this?

4. I bought one lads and it's awesome

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 21, 2016, 01:08:17 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 21, 2016, 01:05:14 PM

What is the weight like? It certainly looks chunky...is it something you notice considerably if you were playing a game for an hour or more?

Doesn't bother me at all. Very comfortable.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog