Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

I can't tell what the hell this new qualification campaign is, whether it is actually instructional, or not. Based upon what I'm reading, I think it just tests your proficiency, rather than teaching it to you.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

jomni

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 19, 2016, 06:33:30 AM
I can't tell what the hell this new qualification campaign is, whether it is actually instructional, or not. Based upon what I'm reading, I think it just tests your proficiency, rather than teaching it to you.

There's probably some PDF file that teaches.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jomni on March 19, 2016, 09:01:44 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 19, 2016, 06:33:30 AM

There's probably some PDF file that teaches.

Why is that any different than the flight manual?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

jomni

Yeah I guess it's more about proficiency tests.

Yskonyn

I had the campaign already and it does feature training as well as checks.
The documentation that comes with it is very nice, but the in-game experience is confusing IMO.
The script is very sensitive to errors and it often proceeds to the next phase too quickly.
Going online with a Human instructor is a much better option.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

I was a tad disappointed this was for 1.5 and not 2 - which is solely what I play currently when I fire it up.
Alba gu' brath

republic

Has anyone tried the Mirage yet?  I keep almost buying it...but I haven't played DCS regularly for awhile.  I was having a lot of fun way back playing on the SimHQ servers but I haven't seen them in awhile and I moved on to other games.  I often feel like DCS is a Early Access steam game, I'm always waiting for them to 'finish'.  Maybe when they finalize 2.0 retire 1.5...

Jarhead0331

Its beautiful. One of the best 3rd party modules so far.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

I was thinking about picking that up now it's in a sale ($41.99 or £29.11 in real cash)....but I am also quite tempted with the Gazelle.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 06, 2016, 03:39:18 PM
I was thinking about picking that up now it's in a sale ($41.99 or £29.11 in real cash)....but I am also quite tempted with the Gazelle.

I can't get the gazelle off the ground. Very finicky and sensitive.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

I'll steer clear for the minute then - I'm the same with that damn Huey.

This DCS stuff gets on my preverbials sometimes!

So I did buy the Mirage. But you buy it in game. When I loaded the game it said there was an update...but it got stuck on Waiting to torrent files. Sat there for ages. So I ended the task. And that was that...the game loaded, but when I went to install the Mirage it said something about a version not being installed.

So I came out and ran the DCS_Updater to fix the download issue and it did fix it. I then went to install the Mirage and that got bloody stuck on the torrenting. Ended the task, now I can't load DCS 2

They had this issue with the torrenting getting stuck before and I thought they had fixed it.

*edit*
Meant to say, I did eventually get it to install. It took several reboots and ending tasks to get there though
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

I have a question for everyone who has DCS.

In the main interface, is there anyway to hide some of the module icons? I don't have them all and I'm extremely unlikely to get them all (no interest for a change in WWII aircraft) and so they just clutter the row.

Is there even a way to order them so the ones I don't have can go on "the next page"?

It's no big deal - I'd just rather not see them if I'm not interested in them

Ta.
Alba gu' brath

Rekim

Once the Normandy map is released I'm sure the Spitfire will be calling your name JD

Asid

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 07, 2016, 12:03:33 AM
They had this issue with the torrenting getting stuck before and I thought they had fixed it.
Maybe it's in looong term beta like most of their stuff....  ;D
War in Pieces

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Asid on May 07, 2016, 07:06:21 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 07, 2016, 12:03:33 AM
Maybe it's in looong term beta like most of their stuff....  ;D
...now it's proving very difficult to map control buttons from my X52 Pro. Pressing a button to assign works sometimes and not others and sometimes you think it hasn't worked and then a few seconds later it shows. But it's proving almost impossible to map all my X52 buttons.

I did not have this issue previously in 2 and I've had absolutely no problems in 1.5...smooth as silk when assigning controls - so it isn't the hardware, drivers or the system

I think I'll leave 2 alone for a bit.

Did you hear that Asid - I think I'll leave 2 alone for a bit  >:D
Alba gu' brath