Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jomni

A-10C does not really need a lot of button mapping to joystick if you are comfortable with clicking the screen.
I actually prefer this than mapping the stuff on the keyboard or joystick.  Easier to remember.

But yes, looking at going into Flaming Cliffs.

Does DCS World 1.5 come with Nevada map?

Edit:  It looks like I need DCS 2.0 which is separate from 1.5?  Or can I use everything on 2.0 instead?  This is my main question.

JudgeDredd

DCS 2
There's very little out for DCS 2 and yes - the Nevada map is DCS 2 only.

DCS 2 comes with the P-51 and Su-25 as stock I believe.

I have all my  modules installed on DCS 2 now but I'm not sure of "complete" compatibility. I know, for example, there was an issue with the Mig-21. They have, however, released Red Flag campaign for the F-15 for DCS 2 so if you have the F-15 module or Flaming Cliffs, you can buy the Red Flag campaign.

This is the mission list available in DCS 2 and it's only under the Flaming Cliffs module

There are some instant actions missions for each of your modules but are mainly cold start up, take off, free flight etc. They aren't all available for all modules though. Some (for example the F-86) only have Nevada Free Flight

DCS 1.5
There's a world of difference between DCS 1.2 and DCS 1.5. If you already have DCS 1.2 you need to definitely upgrade to 1.5. Everything that was available in 1.2 is available in 1.5 as far as I'm aware, including all instant action missions, stock missions and campaigns.

Overview
I was pretty critical of the Nevada Map production. I wondered what the hell they were doing working on fluff when the game needs substance. I want to see more planes, more campaigns and missions. I want to see dynamic or semi dynamic campaigns and I want to see them in the real world.

But hats off to them - it looks fantastic and is very "detailed" for a "desert" location.

I have been creating very simple missions in the mission editor to allow me to drop ordinance and employ defensive measures with the Hawg and actually been having a really enjoyable time in it.

In short, it's a blast.

Conclusion
If Nevada is free for you, I would say install DCS 2, the map, your modules and go and have a blast. It looks fantastic and even though it's barren, there's fun to be had there. The Nevada Map is a hell of an expense if you don't have the free version (mine was free because I bought the A-10C in beta I believe).

If you have 1.2, get 1.5 installed immediately, install all your modules and get cracking.

You can have both 1.5 and 2 installed on the same machine. I do and there's no conflict that I have noticed. I have occasionally gone into 1.5 and came out and gone into 2 and I haven't seen or experienced any problems. Be aware though that if you have the MIG-21 module, there was an issue flipping between 1.2 and 1.5/2 which used your activations each time you switched. I do not know as yet whether that's cured now (because I have uninstalled 1.2) but they will (allegedly) give you back your activations. There's a thread on Activation Issues for the MIG-21 over at DCS here

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=152040

If you are going to install 1.5 or 2, do it before uninstalling DCS 1.2 because I believe the install of 1.5/2 will take files from your 1.2 install before downloading the rest that they need

I hope this is clearer to you than it is to me!
Alba gu' brath

jomni

So DCS 2 is only Nevada map?  Therefore I need both sitting in my PC since the missions and campaigns from 1.5 don't go into 2.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: jomni on January 16, 2016, 02:26:47 AM
So DCS 2 is only Nevada map?  Therefore I need both sitting in my PC since the missions and campaigns from 1.5 don't go into 2.
Correct
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

My duel install (all modules in both 1.5 and 2) comes to 88GB
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

I have 1.5 and 2.0 installed, as well. Eventually, the European map will be brought into 2.0, but for now I'm ok with the 2 installs. I got Nevada for free, but it is definitely worth buying too. It looks great.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 16, 2016, 01:49:55 AM

If Nevada is free for you, I would say install DCS 2, the map, your modules and go and have a blast. It looks fantastic and even though it's barren, there's fun to be had there. The Nevada Map is a hell of an expense if you don't have the free version (mine was free because I bought the A-10C in beta I believe).

If you have 1.2, get 1.5 installed immediately, install all your modules and get cracking.

You can have both 1.5 and 2 installed on the same machine. I do and there's no conflict that I have noticed. I have occasionally gone into 1.5 and came out and gone into 2 and I haven't seen or experienced any problems. Be aware though that if you have the MIG-21 module, there was an issue flipping between 1.2 and 1.5/2 which used your activations each time you switched. I do not know as yet whether that's cured now (because I have uninstalled 1.2) but they will (allegedly) give you back your activations. There's a thread on Activation Issues for the MIG-21 over at DCS here

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=152040

If you are going to install 1.5 or 2, do it before uninstalling DCS 1.2 because I believe the install of 1.5/2 will take files from your 1.2 install before downloading the rest that they need

I hope this is clearer to you than it is to me!

This is all good to know.  Thanks JD.

I should probably upgrade my old DCS version to 1.5 and 2.0.  Even if I'm not going to be using them anytime soon.  Concerned DCS may try charging me extra for my modules after the big switch, or some other loop being thrown.

Grim.Reaper

So actually thinking of picking up..have the itch for modern air combat.  Any opinion on whether better to pick up on steam or through official site?  Also, would getting flaming cliffs be a good start for someone that is not great at flight sims?

Toonces

Grim-
I'd say pick up DCS World and try out the free Su-25T first to see if you like it.  The Su-25 is a nice, Flaming Cliffs level airplane.  If, after playing it a bit, you like it you can decide where to invest your money in modules.

If you have a few buck laying around, I'd recommend picking up Falcon 4 from GoG for about $6 and then throwing BMS on top of it.  It is a far better single player experience than DCS, in my opinion, and the F-16 is a great deal of fun to fly.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Official site...not steam. A lot of the modules are released at alpha or beta stage and are not steam compatible.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

^ Missed the Steam question.  In this case, I don't see that Steam adds any value.  Definitely go through the DCS store for your modules (like Jarhead said).
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Grim.Reaper

Thanks guys ....will try it out.

jomni

DCS Store also has license management in the profile page.  Better to have all of it in one place.
Though my pre-DCS World A-10C does not appear in my profile but it's definitely owned when checked separately.

Skoop

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 16, 2016, 02:51:48 AM
My duel install (all modules in both 1.5 and 2) comes to 88GB
Ouch, how much for just Dcs2 and all modules ?

jomni

New A-10 campaign.  Looks like a nice instructional series.
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/campaigns/a-10c_bft_campaign/