Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 12, 2015, 08:28:50 AM

I don't expect any help here really - just sounding off. I'm just slightly peeved.  :)

Perfectly understandable.

As I've been saying, DRM is software and just like the rest it is buggy.  Unfortunately, DRM bugs cause more headaches, yet aren't even integral to the software you're using.  ::)  Quite right to get peeved.

DoctorQuest

This is why I am flying a lot more SF2 and BMS than DCS. Their stuff is good. I'm not sure it's THIS good. Sorry to hear about your hassles, JD.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

JudgeDredd

Just venting.

I have completely uninstalled DCS World 2 and any modules that I could actually get installed. DCS 1.5 BETA has also gone...bye bye.

I'm just about to go through removing DCS 1.2 and, as long as it doesn't piss me off, I'll reinstall it. If it acts up, it's gone.

I'm now down to 3 activations left for the Mig-21. I'm not sure, but I guess that Starforce shite is enforced by the company that made the Mig-21...because it's the ONLY module continually asking for an activation code - everytime I fire up DCS.

The reason I'm down to 3 activations left is because I've been trying to get the modules installed for DCS World 2...and they aren't working. I'm just getting a "Preparing to torrent" message and that's it.
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 12, 2015, 10:50:08 AM

I'm now down to 3 activations left for the Mig-21. I'm not sure, but I guess that Starforce shite is enforced by the company that made the Mig-21...because it's the ONLY module continually asking for an activation code - everytime I fire up DCS.

Last I read, all of DCS's activation DRM is StarForce.

StarForce is a Russian company, IIRC, and the only reason they've still been around is Russian developers continuing to give them business over the years.  At least they're not damaging the occasional optical drive these days, but that still doesn't help the other screwiness such as yours.

Hell... I start getting frustrated when it's DRM keeps telling me that I don't have a valid BS2 installation, after using the upgrade pack.  Think that's the activation DRM being buggy shit, too.

JudgeDredd

Don't I know it!

I should point out that I emailed some guy (to do with Leatherneck I believe) to have my activations reinstated and (according to his response) they have been (I don't know as yet).

He did avoid my question about why it was only his module that had an issue and also whether he was using Starforce as the DRM or not - didn't answer either of those questions.
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 12, 2015, 06:11:28 PM

He did avoid my question about why it was only his module that had an issue and also whether he was using Starforce as the DRM or not - didn't answer either of those questions.

Top Secret Ninja Shitâ„¢

Talking about DRM details with developers often seems like you're an outsider asking about Fight Club.

Cougar_DK

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 10, 2015, 12:47:46 PM
Thanks JH - all installed.  O0

JD like you I have BS 1 and the upgrade.... And I even have the Russian version so I have payed my part of it. Did you somehow get a key for BS2 without the upgrade?
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

JudgeDredd

Not yet Cougar, but I think when there's a sale on, I will likely buy BS2 (again) to prevent this bollox.

God - remember the days of the "Falcon 4 Install Dance"? Who would've though they would still be with us in 2015??  >:D

I just can't believe they can't remove that requirement now - especially as the upgrade option is not on sale anymore. You don't even need (and shouldn't from what I gather) activate BS1...it just needs to be installed!

Come on DCS - put an update out so BS1 install isn't required anymore. Why is that a hardship for you?  :idiot2:
Alba gu' brath

Skoop

Because they want you to buy the standalone.  Good business practice would be you produce the 2 keys and they convert them to one standalone key, but they want to squeeze that extra little bit out of ya.

Tuna

When I bought BS, the link led me to the wrong page.. so I bought 1, even though 2 was out then had to buy the upgrade. Would've rather have just got a refund and bought 2. Since it is such a PIA to install 1 then 2. I do remember having problems the first time.

JudgeDredd

I got a reply from the email address I had to email to get my activations added back to my account and an explanation of why the problem occurs (which has prevented me re-installing the Mig21 in 1.5 beta and "an issue" which has stopped me installing in 2.0
Hi Billy,

Having them installed is absolutely no issue.

Moving between 2.0 and 1.5 should not be an issue (however, currently the MiG-21 does not work properly in 2.0).

The difference lies between the 1.2.16 branch and 1.5/2.0.

I will add activations to your key. :)

Warmest Regards,

Nick
So currently the Mig21 is only playable in DCS 1.2

Man - I hope there's a free patch being worked on to get the Mig to overcome whatever issues it has with DCS 2.0
Alba gu' brath

republic

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 10, 2015, 02:00:52 AM
DCS needs to have a sale - and soon.

My disc I have BS1 stored on ain't reading  :(

So I need to do what others have done and spring for BS2.

It's pretty bloody annoying (I think someone else mentioned in the thread somewhere) that we have to STILL - after all these years - install BS1 before installing the BS2 upgrade. Why can't I just supply the code at least?

I paid full price for BS1 and I paid a reduced price for the BS2 upgrade. So I've already paid more than what BS2 is (and ever was) - let alone what people have picked it up for in sales.

So it's total BS (lol) and actually, I've almost talked myself out of it there... :knuppel2:

I'm in the same boat.  I actually emailed them and asked if they could just exchange my 2 keys (BS1 and BS2 upgrade) for a BS2 standalone key.  They declined and told me to wait on a sale  :(

Tuna

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Tuna

The BS thing really is BS! though.. they should give you one key if they can't 'fix' their installs to be simple and straightforward.. lol.. just pissed because I"m about to do a system upgrade!