Poll: Hacker lets foreign agents and mafia into 100s millions of PCs

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, February 28, 2014, 02:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bigglesworth

Hypothetical:

A hacker, thinking he is taking over the world, puts a back door into the commonly used software of company X. Before long it is used by agents of Iran, North Korea, Russian mafia, anybody, to use the computers of 100s of millions of people. The infiltrators now have what all the companies were working on, what all the researchers, students, everyone was doing.

How seriously is it treated by law enforcement?
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Staggerwing

Easy one, if he works for the juggernaut of Redmond. Extrapolate even further...

If that someone worked  for the CDC, or United airlines, or AT&T, or the FBI, what difference does it make? They put a poison in the water supply, they sabotaged a cancer cure, they caused a lot of traffic fatalities, they allowed a killer to go free, they signed off on an unsafe bridge or firetrap building.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys