Dom 3 slow game (2 day turnaround)[closed]

Started by Yskonyn, March 04, 2013, 01:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Phobos on March 20, 2013, 09:43:33 PM
I have noticed only 4 nations have created a prophet.

It's not a big deal, but depending on the nation you are playing, it can be to you advantage to make one.

Prophets spread dominion candles, similar to your god.  So if you have good Scales (order, production, growth, etc), you may want to spread them around.

This is handy, as prophets become more powerful in their nation's dominion.  They get improved attribute scores and more health.  The extra health is percentage based, so the effect is dramatic on powerful units.

A prophet costs no upkeep.  A small advantage.

A prophet is always blessed.  Assuming your pretender has magic paths high enough to grant bless effects.

A prophet gains 3 levels of holy magic, unless they already had holy 3, in which case they gain holy 4.  This can be handy if your nation lacks powerful priests.

There are also a few edge cases where prophets do special things.  Some units transform into a slightly different unit when made a prophet.  Undead or demonic prophets can be given an order to raise the dead.       

Very good point.  I think some people may have forgotten to give the "Become Prophet" order to one of their generals/mages.  I usually just do it on the first turn, on the starting Plain Jane general, but sometimes it's to your advantage to purchase a different leader unit and appoint him on the second turn.  Most notably if you have a recruitable priest with 'Holy 3' because when you appoint one that's already at 3.. he goes to 4.  Which is like cranking his Holy abilities to eleven.   ;) 

I'm not sure how many Nations actually have a recruitable Holy-3 unit, but it's not many.  Marignon has one (IIRC?) in Late Age.  Not sure whom else.  Ermor maybe??? 

undercovergeek

Huw the Poo

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 21, 2013, 03:01:37 AM
Great - more good stuff for ermor

There are considerable disadvantages to being LA Ermor, you know!  Especially early game...

undercovergeek

Wait, I here something, I think......

I think.....

Yes, its the SMALLEST VIOLIN IN THE WORLD!!!!
;D

parone

one of the big early disadvantages to early game ermor is when 4 of us land on top of you and start jolly stomping... >:(   just sayin'

Huw the Poo

Well I already have about a million troops milling about so you're welcome to try! :)

undercovergeek

we squeeazing one more in before yskonyn leaves?

JasonPratt

I prefer to wait until I have a decent combatant before prophetizing him (or her). There are admittedly also good points to immediately assigning prophet status to the first general even if he's a wimp -- after all if he dies I can always appoint another one next turn.

In the first few turns, though, dominion spreads naturally without being helped much by a prophet -- doesn't matter if the dominion is low or high (since the prophet's dominion is a fraction thereof anyway). Prophets are like mobile temples, and consequently only become useful for dom spread at the point of the game when natural dominion no longer spreads, i.e. when temples start to become useful.

True, they get some combat bonuses, but not enough to overcome a weak general's weakness.

Thus, I typically wait several seasons or until I can feasibly hire a great general/hero, or until a hero voluntarily shows up, whichever comes first.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

byrdman57

Assuming he hasn't left yet  :-\

Looks like we're just waiting on a turn from Caelum.

undercovergeek

Quote from: byrdman57 on March 21, 2013, 11:32:21 AM
Assuming he hasn't left yet  :-\

Looks like we're just waiting on a turn from Caelum.

That's our man!

Yskonyn

Not gone yet! ;)
Will submit turns for both games in a few hours, then extended the hosting interval.
Be advised this still means a new turn is hosted if all turns are in. So potentially we could play 2 turns before I leave.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Ubercat

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 21, 2013, 11:31:55 AM
I prefer to wait until I have a decent combatant before prophetizing him (or her). There are admittedly also good points to immediately assigning prophet status to the first general even if he's a wimp -- after all if he dies I can always appoint another one next turn.

A dead Prophet can't be replaced immediately. It takes a while, though I don't recall how long or what the determining factors are in the waiting time.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

undercovergeek

Quote from: Ubercat on March 21, 2013, 12:42:12 PM

A dead Prophet can't be replaced immediately. It takes a while, though I don't recall how long or what the determining factors are in the waiting time.

3-6 months i think i read

Yskonyn

Ok guys, my two turns have been sent.
I have delayed the game until I get back.

O_O It's mighty interesting to see how much different my start in this game with Caelum is from our other game!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Actually there's a "cooldown period" after your Prophet dies, before you can appoint a new one.  Something like six, eight or ten turns?

Considering they're a sizable factor in your mobile Dominion spread, it can certainly set you back in that department.