Dom 3 slow game (2 day turnaround)[closed]

Started by Yskonyn, March 04, 2013, 01:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameleaper

Quote from: Nefaro on March 16, 2013, 07:10:21 PM
Boy, the size of the individual territories, on that Dragon Age (Thedas) Map, are BIG.  Gotta zoom out a lot more than the vanilla-sized ones.

Edit:  I highly suggest you guys get used to playing on that map because the clickable hot spots for the provinces don't match up with the actual province borders.  So you can easily rt-click inside a province, and a neighboring one will be chosen instead.  Also double check that your move orders are moving directly to the flag inside the territory, and not a different one.

Nef, if you set the map filters to show neighbours, you get yellow bars showing all the connections(let us know if the connections are wrong), I think the hot key is '8' not sure, I found you cant cross a zone if your moveing through a zone with enemy it, your rout from one zone may be crossing a small edge or something I dont know, but now youve told us I shall definately look for it. Nef Im still a newbie so dont take my remarks as fact :)

Nefaro

Quote from: gameleaper on March 17, 2013, 09:46:02 AM
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=47697&highlight=westeros

here is a link to a westeros Map, not sure if its suitable, no unrar program on my PC

Just use 7-zip.  It's free.. unzips everything.. and doesn't have any annoying pop-ups.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzip/

nm.. I see Huw linked it already.

gameleaper

Quote from: Nefaro on March 17, 2013, 01:43:44 PM
Quote from: gameleaper on March 17, 2013, 09:46:02 AM
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=47697&highlight=westeros

here is a link to a westeros Map, not sure if its suitable, no unrar program on my PC

Just use 7-zip.  It's free.. unzips everything.. and doesn't have any annoying pop-ups.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzip/

nm.. I see Huw linked it already.

yes got it,just playing on the map now :)

Nefaro

Quote from: gameleaper on March 17, 2013, 11:29:11 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on March 16, 2013, 07:10:21 PM
Boy, the size of the individual territories, on that Dragon Age (Thedas) Map, are BIG.  Gotta zoom out a lot more than the vanilla-sized ones.

Edit:  I highly suggest you guys get used to playing on that map because the clickable hot spots for the provinces don't match up with the actual province borders.  So you can easily rt-click inside a province, and a neighboring one will be chosen instead.  Also double check that your move orders are moving directly to the flag inside the territory, and not a different one.

Nef, if you set the map filters to show neighbours, you get yellow bars showing all the connections(let us know if the connections are wrong), I think the hot key is '8' not sure, I found you cant cross a zone if your moveing through a zone with enemy it, your rout from one zone may be crossing a small edge or something I dont know, but now youve told us I shall definately look for it. Nef Im still a newbie so dont take my remarks as fact :)

That wasn't the problem I was having with that Dragon Age map.  I know how to turn on the map filters, including the connection one. 

The issue was that the province borders on the map didn't match up with the clickable zones for them too well.  There were spots where I clicked within a province's borders, and it would select a different province.

While even the random generated ones weren't perfect in this sense, I found the DA map to be a good deal worse than usual. 

After checking out the "Land of Legends" map, I think it's a great starter for some of us noobs.  The generaly layout of the terrain looks to keep everyone on fairly equal turns, yet it still has regular choke points in the bridge and port locations.  I didn't look to see how well the number of provinces fit our quantity of players - how many province per person are we aiming for? 

And thanks for the llamaserver rundown.  It's easier than I thought.  I need to send Yskie my email & Pretender soon so I'll try to get this done tonight.

undercovergeek

legends does look like a good map

territory wise i think weve always aimed for 2-ish full 'rings' around your home province before you start bumping into to other nations

gameleaper

Just played an 11 player Westeros game, all ran fine, but dont mind what map is used.

I was doing realy well, but I thought My coastal zones were safe, so moved all my units up the board, taking over everything, but , then my home fortress got sieged and I hadnt recruited there for a while, this was simply because I thought the coast was safe, I wont do that again, but it was a good practice game.

Huw the Poo

I've heard it said that you should always be recruiting.  I'm not sure of the wisdom of that though, since eventually your upkeep costs will outstrip gold income (particularly if you lose a juicy province).

By the way, since we will hopefully be able to get started in the next day or two, can we please decide on a map?  I still vote for Land of Legends.

undercovergeek

me too

personally westeros sounds great, but if im not wondering all over it with men of the north or Lannisters i fail to see the point - a bit like a warhammer map without warhammer units

so bring on the Land of Legends (or the Cradle) and ill send my pretender in tonight

Nefaro

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 17, 2013, 04:24:16 PM
I've heard it said that you should always be recruiting.  I'm not sure of the wisdom of that though, since eventually your upkeep costs will outstrip gold income (particularly if you lose a juicy province).

By the way, since we will hopefully be able to get started in the next day or two, can we please decide on a map?  I still vote for Land of Legends.

I imagine the reason to always be recruiting is that resources can be very limiting for good quality troops, and since Resources for a territory doesn't carry over from turn-to-turn, it's best to use it up if at all possible.  Especially when you have high resource cost troops (many of the good ones are). 

I also vote Land Of Legends!  I've done a 10-player test on it and the player placement is great.  It took at least two "rings" before I ran into AI opponents.. the closest one's home province was 5 spaces away.  I had even further to go for the one on my immediate other side so it'd probably still work great for 11 players.

I'm gonna PM Yskie with my email address and make up my mind regarding Nations soon.  I'm eyeing Atlanteans, maybe Ulm or T'ien Chi, but I still want to check out Pangaea too, which I haven't done yet.

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Corwin123

Tried both Land of Legends and the Westeros Map.  Both good but LOL seems more balanced.  I vote LOL map

parone

so that means we will remake the game?  im assuming there is a link to the map here somewhere, or Ysko will put one on the OP?

undercovergeek

Quote from: parone on March 17, 2013, 07:25:34 PM
so that means we will remake the game?  im assuming there is a link here somewhere, or Ysko will put one on the OP?

Quote from: Yskonyn on March 17, 2013, 03:51:24 AM
I am almost back, guys. Just one more day. I have no problem with switching the map, but I have to remind myself to doublecheck All settings.
Llama does not like the map to be changed on the fly. But we will manage!

Great to see GL and Nef have joined and are getting their bearings. Dom3 is best with lots op people!

if yskonyn says we'll be ok, we'll be ok!

he'll post a link - hes good like that

byrdman57

Wow, a whole lot can change in a weekend. New players..., new map... it's too much for my fragile psyche! Anyway, Midgard's pretender will be submitted momentarily. I'm looking forward to this game!