Dom 3 slow game (2 day turnaround)[closed]

Started by Yskonyn, March 04, 2013, 01:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Phobos on March 16, 2013, 11:09:39 PM
I just ran a test with 11 players on the Thedas map and one of the nations disappeared (it's start location was overwritten by another nation).

I'll suggest something like Land of Legends, but if anyone has a better option, by all means use it.

135 land provinces, coastal city provinces, denoted by an anchor, have a 'port' connection to the central island.  Nations with sailing commanders might have a distinct advantage on this map.

sorry for the image size, I could not find a smaller one.

dl link
http://koti.kapsi.fi/elmokki/dom3/maplist/files/landoflegends.zip

That 'Land of Legends' map looks great!  There's no unusual settings for the provinces in it, is there??  I'd much prefer that, or something similar, over the Dragon Age one.  ;)

I've been having some oddities happen while test playing on the 'Thedas' map.  While the map may not be causing these issues, I'm still not happy with it due to the bad cursor hot spots and unusually large provinces that require zooming out further than normal. 

I've been pondering which Nation to play, as I've never played Late Age before.  At least there aren't many open ones left so that narrows it down.  Looks like it'll probably be between Ulm, Atlantean, Mignon, Tien Chi, or Pangaea.   Hrmm..

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Nefaro on March 17, 2013, 03:00:28 AM
That 'Land of Legends' map looks great!

Agreed, it does look really good.  I think I might even start a single player game on it. :)

gameleaper

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 17, 2013, 02:37:54 AM
It will show you times in GMT so you don't need to worry about that. :)

thanks, I will look at Land of Legends Map too, but Im ok with what ever you guys decide

Yskonyn

I am almost back, guys. Just one more day. I have no problem with switching the map, but I have to remind myself to doublecheck All settings.
Llama does not like the map to be changed on the fly. But we will manage!

Great to see GL and Nef have joined and are getting their bearings. Dom3 is best with lots op people!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

I'm liking the style of Ulm - Black Forest but haven't tried it out yet.  I may call that one, but I still need to eyeball one or two more so gimme a day or so.

Bah.. I still need to study up on how to use Llamaserver.  Do I need to sign up for logins & such or is it just tied to your Pretender and a p/w for it?  I'll read the FAQ soon, just wondered wanted a short & fast answer.  ;)

gameleaper

The FAQ is a very simple way to figure it out http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=35160 I just found I needed the game name from the top of thread.

you are advised not to use a Password because your emailed by the server , so nobody will prob get your file, you need to locate your files mine are in \Program Files(x86)\Dominion3\savedgames\

you use game tools in Dom3 to create your god, then locate the file and post it to pretenders@llamaserver.net as an attachment , not body of the email required, but you need to put the name of the game in the subject: A_Dominion_Of_Grogs I think , check the top of this thread.

then the turns are just an email with attachment you paste into \Program Files(x86)\Dominion3\savedgames\"gameFolderNameOfYourChoice" , then make your turn by playing an existing game and emailing a file back from the folder.

Yskonyn

The first post of this thread is constantly updated. It has all the links and handy tips you should need.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

undercovergeek

Quote from: Nefaro on March 17, 2013, 04:06:00 AM
I'm liking the style of Ulm - Black Forest but haven't tried it out yet.  I may call that one, but I still need to eyeball one or two more so gimme a day or so.

Bah.. I still need to study up on how to use Llamaserver.  Do I need to sign up for logins & such or is it just tied to your Pretender and a p/w for it?  I'll read the FAQ soon, just wondered wanted a short & fast answer.  ;)

no need to do anything Nef - pm ysk with your email address - itll be attached to your nation. Firstly choose a pretender, hes then dropped into 'lords' or something folder in your save game folder, email that (i thinks its a .2h file) to the email address on the front page with the subject of the game name. Youll likely get an email saying pretender received and it looks ok - then when ysk switches the go button youll receive a email with your first turn. In your saved game folder create a folder called the same name as the Llama game )dominion of grogs) and drop your .trn file in there - start the game, click on play game (not new game) and youll see the game in the menu, click on that - youre away, do the moves, end turn, and reply to llama servers 'heres your turn email' with your new .2h file and youll get a turn received email back, and so on and so on until ive won and Huws lost!

log into the llama server when you want to check whos still left to go so you can send them a grumpy email

gameleaper

llama servers 'heres your turn email' 

what subject to return turn? is it 'heres your turn email' 

undercovergeek

dont press a thing other than reply and attach your file

gameleaper

undercovergeek

Quote from: gameleaper on March 17, 2013, 07:11:20 AM
thanks! I didnt know that.

once youve done your first exchange of mails youll see how simple it is

JasonPratt

Edited to fix: okay, on second glance not a wraparound, so that won't be a problem.

Anyway, 209 provinces would average a clean two steps for 11 players. For 135 lands, 11 players should average at least one clean step away from home base, but half of the second steps would be contested by other factions.

(Also, whoever gets the island in Lands of Legends either has a massive advantage or a massive disadvantage in a game with few sea-traveling factions. Or an especially massive disadvantage if two or more factions get randomly stuck there.)

Dang, too early in the morning for me to read well. Island has nominal "neighbor" connections with port provinces on the mainland, so isn't especially isolated.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

gameleaper

I can see from the Maps online, there are unusual Maps like Caves and corners, where the land has a cave system (are the caves actualy playable?) why dont we look for an unusual Map ? I also like the lore of westeros or warhammer or even greyHawk. Im not the best authority on maps so please excuse my noob ideas, but I would like to know if that cave system is playable?

JasonPratt

Well, we don't want to get TOO big -- Greyhawk's map is a monster for only 11 players. (It's really set up to be played by a slight mod that allows all the factions from all the ages to play at once!)

Caves are a nifty notion set up by manually designing a map. They're simply "string" territories; they function just like regular territories, just "thinking outside the box" so to speak. :)

Sometimes mapmakers set up "portals", too. (The "port cities" on "Land of Legends" are an example of that same principle.) These can be created even on randomized maps by assigning one or more non-contiguous "neighbors" to a territory; so being in the territory allows a one-move jump to one or more distant territories. Note that the map modder might make the portals work only one-way, however! -- unless he also "neighbors" the distant territories back to the portal territory, there would be no "portal" going back!

Anyway, caves (and portals) are easy to play, assuming they've been thoughtfully designed.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!