Main Menu

Digital Labyrinth

Started by Geezer, January 20, 2020, 07:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geezer

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Geezer

I don't have the boardgame but was thinking of getting it.  Any recommendations here?
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Tripoli

Quote from: Geezer on January 21, 2020, 09:47:03 AM
I don't have the boardgame but was thinking of getting it.  Any recommendations here?

I've played the boardgame about 5 times.  It is a good game, and does a good job of detailing some of the major issues in the Global War on Terror (GWoT).  Definitely worth getting if you are interested in the topic. 
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Silent Disapproval Robot

Very good game if you like CDG's like Twilight Struggle.  I initially thought it was imbalanced in favour of the Jihadists but upon further play, I think it might actually favour the US slightly.  IT just took me longer to figure out how to effectively play as them.

Geezer

OK, thanks guys.  Anybody play it with the expansion?  I see a second expansion is in P500 right now as well.

Tripoli

The expansion is also good, and worth getting
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

Did the interview mention plans for the expansion(s)? I'm lazy.  >:D

A few concerns.

1.) EA? sigh. I guess that's to be expected, it might as well be EA anyway, better to be up front about it.

2.) While TwiStrug eventually worked well, the DLC ended up botched badly, and Playdek doesn't seem to have plans on fixing it. (...still true? Hope not?!) If GMT and PD are devoting more of a working arrangement together, that could be better in the future. But still, wariness from being burned.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Geezer

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 22, 2020, 08:21:13 AM
Did the interview mention plans for the expansion(s)? I'm lazy.  >:D

Dunno.  I went ahead and bought the original game and the first expansion to play while waiting to see how the digital version pans out.  There is another expansion in P500 but I have not ordered that, yet...   ;)

al_infierno

How does this game compare to the GMT COIN series?  I would personally rather see a digitized version of Fire in the Lake or Penndragon, but I've never given Labyrinth a proper go.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Geezer

My impression is that Labyrinth is closer to Twilight Struggle than a COIN game, but that is only based on what I've read.

JasonPratt

^ Exactly correct. I mixed up Lab with A Distant Plain myself at first, simply because I was waiting for news about the FitL adaptation, so I knew they were doing the COIN game system. But of course they've adapted TwiStrug first!

We have an AAR around here for a Labyrinth game somewhere. I'll see if I can find it...

JasonPratt

Argh. It's here (and got well-nominated for an AAR of the Year award, btw), but most of the snapshots have long since expired.

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=18727.msg509562#msg509562

Silent Disapproval Robot

Geezer

There is a tutorial and solo playthrough on Youtube.  I haven't watched either all the way through yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg__zT2TgjM&t=1881s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp48DBUWH04&t=1470s