Holiday Sale Regrets

Started by Rayfer, January 14, 2020, 03:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwolf

I dropped DCS' F-86 Sabre out of my holiday cart for reasons unknown. Needless to say, I urgently wanted it a week later.

Luckily they just found another lame reason for a sale, and it is back to 50% off. My precious...

smittyohio

I bought TOAW IV, but wish I'd bought one of the JTS Civil War games...

Dammit Carl!

By focusing on DLCs & just one/two new-to-me games, I walked away with no issues this past season.  Also, I'm of a similar mind to Martok in really questioning if I get a game, will I play it. 

Rayfer

I a reverse to this post...I am really glad I didn't waste $20.00 on Matrix's World in Flames. In spite of the all the long running negative reviews, the game always intrigued me, so I thought what the heck, maybe I'll check it out.  But I didn't once I realized I would never actually play the game. Twenty dollars was saved and better spent on Pillars of Eternity 2.

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

smittyohio

Quote from: Rayfer on January 25, 2020, 03:36:58 PM
I a reverse to this post...I am really glad I didn't waste $20.00 on Matrix's World in Flames. In spite of the all the long running negative reviews, the game always intrigued me, so I thought what the heck, maybe I'll check it out.  But I didn't once I realized I would never actually play the game. Twenty dollars was saved and better spent on Pillars of Eternity 2.

I enjoy looking at the monthly reports to laugh at the most common update:

AI Opponent (AIO)
Nothing new in {insert month here}

Destraex

Got mare nostrum on steam. Have not even loaded it yet. I should load up trireme commander though.
Wanted mare bostrum simply because it was a rare trireme game. But like so many wargames it is based more on a board game than an attempt to bring the genre to life.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

W8taminute

At almost the last minute of the Chinese New Year sale I picked up Tannenburg.  I was inspired by a post from Gus where you can setup your own private matches with bots. 

Tried the game for the first time last night and boy was it fun!  No regrets on this purchase.   :bd:
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

You're welcome! I'm looking forward to getting further into Tannenberg as well as Verdun now that I know I don't need other annoying humans to play.

If you ever feel the need for a limited MP game, let me know and it could be Gus and W8 against a whole German division - east or west.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Bought Monster Hunter World on a whim.  Too "anime cutesy" for me. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

W8taminute

Quote from: Gusington on January 28, 2020, 09:30:39 AM
You're welcome! I'm looking forward to getting further into Tannenberg as well as Verdun now that I know I don't need other annoying humans to play.

If you ever feel the need for a limited MP game, let me know and it could be Gus and W8 against a whole German division - east or west.

Sounds good to me.  It would be nice to just play a relaxing match with a friend against bots. 

Oh and now that I've got a taste of Tannenberg I am going to have to add Verdun to my wishlist.  I'm sure it will go on sale. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Gusington

IIRC I got both for 9.99 each after I learned it was possible to play them virtually alone.

And the bots played pretty well too. That, along with me being an ultra mega newb at these games, led to a challenging but not impossible session.

Even got me some kills 😎

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mbar

Quote from: ArizonaTank on January 28, 2020, 09:44:07 AM

The opening is infuriating. I don't know how many times I "saved the game" only to realize it was not going to do a real save until after my first hunt.  :pullhair:

jamus34

Quote from: mbar on January 28, 2020, 03:17:52 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on January 28, 2020, 09:44:07 AM

The opening is infuriating. I don't know how many times I "saved the game" only to realize it was not going to do a real save until after my first hunt.  :pullhair:

Yeah I will admit the story is mostly inane and the handler extremely annoying. That said they have given upgrades on starting armor and weapon of choice to allow you to fly through the low level stuff pretty easily.
I'm all for the less talky more stabby bits myself.
Insert witty comment here.

W8taminute

Quote from: Gusington on January 28, 2020, 02:48:50 PM
IIRC I got both for 9.99 each after I learned it was possible to play them virtually alone.

And the bots played pretty well too. That, along with me being an ultra mega newb at these games, led to a challenging but not impossible session.

Even got me some kills 😎

9.99 for both is a great deal. 

Yeah if we team up and play together against the Huns on the eastern front I'll be happy to share my tips and tricks with you.  I'm no expert but I've played quite a few of these types of games and have learned a few basics that do apply to all games of this type.