Warhammer II: Total War - Who's playing?

Started by Martok, December 24, 2019, 02:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

^Left hand side of the launcher or in-game? 'Cause I can't even get in game.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Ah ok - once the game boots up and you're ready to go

Have you activated it all in mod manager?

And have you got it all?

Think there were 10 parts when I did it just before Christmas

Gusington

Hmm no I only got 7 parts...one part for scripts, six for graphics overhaul. I just went by what Steam told me to do. I'll have to go over it again this weekend :/

But you're saying it's worth it, eh?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

You wanna play medieval 3? This is as close as you'll get

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

I'll play some tomorrow and take some shots

Martok

Quote from: Gusington on January 15, 2020, 06:32:37 PM
I tried to get the 1212 mod running and it just hangs on the intro screen. Any ideas? I invested a lot of time in downloading seven parts to the damned thing :/
As geek mentioned, there are actually 10 parts to the mod; at least there were when I added the mod a couple weeks ago.  Not sure if that's (part of?) the reason you're having problems, but it probably wouldn't hurt to make certain you have all 10. 

The following are what you should need for the 1212 AD mod: 

1.) Medieval Kingdoms 1212 AD Scripts
2.) All Settlement Walled - Siege Map Replacer
3.) Medieval Kingdoms 1212 AD Base Pack - Campaign Alpha
4.) Medieval Kingdoms 1212 AD Models Pack 1.V2
5.) Medieval Kingdoms 1212 AD Models Pack 2
6.) Medieval Kingdoms 1212 AD Models Pack 3
7.) Medieval Kingdoms 1212 AD Models Pack 4
8.) Medieval Kingdoms 1212 AD Models Pack 5
9.) Medieval Kingdoms 1212 AD Models Pack 6
10.) Medieval Kingdoms 1212 AD Music

Quote from: Gusington on January 15, 2020, 06:32:37 PM
How are you liking Thrones?
Well, I *am* liking it, to put it quite simply.  I always have, although I think I've been experiencing a greater appreciation for the game more recently.  Part of that is due to some mods I'm currently trying out (will give feedback on those later), but even with just the base game, I'm realizing how much I like a lot of the changes Thrones made in comparison to the previous TW titles. 

I like that my companies are only at quarter-strength when first recruited; not only does this reflect the "mustering" of your men a bit more realistically, it forces you to plan your campaigns a bit more carefully as well.  I like that elite units are fairly rare, and can't be recruited nearly as often as lower-tier (or as I think of them, regular-tier) units.  And while it's not perfect, I like that battles in ToB generally focus on the shield-wall (as they should); cavalry and archers takes a backseat to spears, swords, and axes. 

I like that factions have their own particular mechanics to make them feel unique (the devs obviously borrowed a page from the Warhammer team's playbook there).  I like the building chains for settlements; they're more straightforward (and less confusing!), while still offering you choices (especially in the provincial capitals).  And thanks to the Steel & Statecraft update (the game's last major patch), keeping your generals, governors, and other nobles happy & loyal is more interesting now. 

Also, I would definitely be remiss if I didn't mention how very, very glad I am that ToB doesn't have agents of any kind.  That alone might be my single favorite campaign feature compared to the other games in the franchise (especially the historical titles -- agents in the Warhammer series obviously work a bit differently, and tend to be more fun in my experience). 

There's undoubtedly things I'm leaving out about this game, both good and bad (note: the AI can be frustratingly passive at times -- something I'm hoping these mods I'm trying out can help address) -- but what I mentioned above at least covers the highlights of why I enjoy Thrones of Britannia (and why it might be underrated).  It's certainly not going to be for everyone, of course, and it admittedly wasn't released in the greatest condition (shades of Rome II, anyone? :buck2: ), but the game has actually been patched up to a pretty decent state since then.  It's unfortunate (though understandable) it didn't sell well enough for CA/Sega to continue supporting the game longer, as I honestly believe it could've accomplished even more than it has. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Martok

Quote from: Gusington on January 16, 2020, 08:28:24 AM
But you're saying it's worth it, eh?
In a word, yes.  I have to say the team has done some tremendous work with the 1212 AD mod. 

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 16, 2020, 11:22:57 AM
You wanna play medieval 3? This is as close as you'll get
Until CA makes Medieval 3, that is.  (The demand is there, so they will eventually.)  In the meantime, I agree this is probably the closest we'll see until then. 

Quote from: Gusington on January 16, 2020, 12:48:17 PM
Post a screenshot!
(Apologies for the quality.  Even with my "newer" computer, I have to keep the graphics settings modest.) 

A whopping 57 factions to choose from!  And those are just the ones that are playable... 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

FlickJax

I want :) do you need all the DLC's of Attilla?

Martok

Quote from: FlickJax on January 17, 2020, 05:41:33 AM
I want :) do you need all the DLC's of Attilla?
Nope.  Works just fine with the base game. 

Jarhead0331

The units look great, but it seems that the factions are just about the only things that are well along their way in development. No terrain, no buildings, etc. it's all still stock mostly and much of the mechanics that the new campaign is to feature have not been implemented yet.

Looks extremely promising though.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Thanks Martok. From what you listed above, off the top of my head, I know I am missing #2. Will have to work on this later when I am home. I am sure I will enjoy Thrones of Britannia too - but I always liked agents in TW games. A highlight was sending a merchant off (literally) to Timbuktu to make 1000s of florins off of diamonds or something. Good times!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 17, 2020, 06:14:20 AM
The units look great, but it seems that the factions are just about the only things that are well along their way in development. No terrain, no buildings, etc. it's all still stock mostly and much of the mechanics that the new campaign is to feature have not been implemented yet.

Looks extremely promising though.
Yeah, the buildings are still on the mod team's to-do list, as are some of the key mechanics (most notably, mercenaries and The Pope).  They also only have the units from the Early and Middle eras done (so if you were hoping to field armies with lots of gunpowder troops, you'll have to wait).  But even what they've done so far is pretty amazing. 

Quote from: Gusington on January 17, 2020, 08:38:12 AM
Thanks Martok. From what you listed above, off the top of my head, I know I am missing #2. Will have to work on this later when I am home. I am sure I will enjoy Thrones of Britannia too - but I always liked agents in TW games. A highlight was sending a merchant off (literally) to Timbuktu to make 1000s of florins off of diamonds or something. Good times!
You're welcome, Gus!  Glad I could help. 

For me, agents are just one more thing to micromanage (that I'd prefer not to).  However, I realize a lot of folks do like agents (including yourself), and I can totally understand why. 

I think it mostly comes down to a (mild) difference in play style.  I don't hate agents or anything, they're just generally not my cup of tea. 

Gusington

Got it running, thank you Martok and UCG. I was missing two files  :notworthy:

And I can't imagine what this will be like once it's in full release...just this alpha state is impressive. There's a playable Wallachia! They are ranked as very hard to play, though. And not all factions have detailed launch page descriptions yet but the ones that do are very good.

Toonces needs to get this loaded now.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Yeah, the mod is already looking good.  I'm eager to see what it'll be like once it's more fully fleshed out.