WarPlan -- new game announced from Matrix Games

Started by al_infierno, May 08, 2019, 12:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

So, Warplan has been out for a while. What's the verdict?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Old TImer

Barthheart

I like it. It's fun and interesting to play.
The developer is still squashing some bugs and then he'll start some balancing, but it's still a good game now.
Just don't read the Matrix forums for the game... just wow...  #:-)

JasonPratt

The idea that it can be functionally mp'd with more than two players, as described above, is intriguing......
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

So, looking over the description, does that work by players each picking one of the starting nations and going from there, with the AI playing everyone else (allied with any players or not), sort of like turn based HoI?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Thus for example five humans could hotseat co-op as (some or all of) the Balkan nations, teaming up with each other or not, as WW2 kicks up around us?

Barthheart

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 22, 2020, 10:11:05 PM
Thus for example five humans could hotseat co-op as (some or all of) the Balkan nations, teaming up with each other or not, as WW2 kicks up around us?

No this will not work. There is no neutral AI or side, therefore no way for players to take neutral countries.
There are only 2 sides Axis or Allies( this includes Russia).
Earliest the game starts is Sept. 1, 1939 with German at war with Poland, Britain, and France. Neutrals can do nothing until attacked by either side at which point they join the alliance of the non-aggressor.

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

FarAway Sooner

A reference to the November discount is still showing up on the mythical front page.  Given that the discount program ended one-and-a-half months ago, it might make sense to shut that down.

Or to just post two more articles so it gets bumped off the rotating display of the 7 most recent posts, and we have more fodder for talking about mysterious manuscripts that we've never seen...   :)

MOS:96B2P

Version 1.00.08 for Warplan available.  This is a big update that includes many fixes, updates,new content and updated manual. 

The developer Alvaro Sousa continues to be very active and responsive to players on the Matrix forum.  He also has a sense of humor.  Buried in the long list of updates/fixes I found the below two entries.   ;D         

Added Candian HQ + Guy Simonds general
Removed Canadian wargamers revolt because Canada didn't have an HQ and Guy Simmonds

Link:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4881967&mpage=1&#4881967

al_infierno

A North Africa scenario, eh?  Sounds interesting.  Wasn't expecting new scenarios aside from a PTO expansion/sequel at some point, but any new WarPlan content sounds great to me.

Glad to see our Canuck friends getting some love  :2funny:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

airboy

I own this one and have had it installed, unplayed, for about a year now.  I'm glad they keep improving on it.

GroggyGrognard

It's been several months since I have played WarPlan. With the latest update, my interest has been reignited. I may have to fire it back up this weekend.

Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

Ian C

In my opinion Warplan is the currently the best European war grand strategy game out there. It has possibly the most accurate depiction of supply during WW2 in the ETO.