30 for 30: Of Miracles and Men

Started by BanzaiCat, March 05, 2015, 08:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

This is one of the best 30 for 30s I've seen yet...Of Miracles and Men.

I was fortunate enough to see the 'Miracle on Ice' live on television when I was 11. Even then the impact of our USA team's win over the big, bad Soviet Union's super-pros had an electric effect on me. And honestly I never thought about the impact that win had on the Soviet team. One kind of assumed they'd be shot when they got home (perhaps an exaggeration, but not one too far from the realm of truth given the time we lived in). This 30 for 30 reports on the Soviet hockey team's rise to power (though it omits a few things here or there, apparently) and relative dominance of the world's ice up through the 1980 Olympics, and beyond.

I watched this on Netflix last night, and it was fascinating, even though my interest in hockey is passable. I know some of you are huge hockey nuts so I bet you'd love this documentary. If you don't have Netflix, it's on YouTube, apparently in full:

bayonetbrant

you do realize that nobody saw it "live" on TV in 1980, because the broadcast with tape delayed from the actual event :-)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

Okay, Captain Buzzkill. Tape delay broadcast. I saw it when it was broadcast.  :P

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on March 05, 2015, 09:28:56 AMOkay, Captain Buzzkill. Tape delay broadcast. I saw it when it was broadcast.  :P

precision! - it's the key to...  something or other.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 05, 2015, 09:57:06 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on March 05, 2015, 09:28:56 AMOkay, Captain Buzzkill. Tape delay broadcast. I saw it when it was broadcast.  :P

precision! - it's the key to...  something or other.

pissing people off?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GDS_Starfury

as long as BC likes his miracles of men we're safe.
and by we I mean those of us that aren't Gus.
not only is Gus a miracle, he's a mitzvah.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

BanzaiCat

Gus is a mitzvot, not just a mitzvah.

Marty Ward

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 05, 2015, 08:43:55 AM
you do realize that nobody saw it "live" on TV in 1980, because the broadcast with tape delayed from the actual event :-)

I believe it was shown live in Canada so if you lived near the border you could have watched it.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!