So. We got a cat. So far I am thoroughly underwhelmed

Started by Huw the Poo, March 30, 2016, 03:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

Yeah we got some catnip right away because we heard it was a good way to keep her interested in toys she gets weary of.  The last thing I want is for her to ever be bored (even though she seems hell bent on doing it to herself anyway).  It is amusing watching her attack a catnip-laced toy mouse!

She actually played with me a fair bit today; I was dangling some string and for ten minutes she and the string were mortal enemies.  She doesn't come downstairs much yet but hopefully she will in time.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Nah.  People who don't like cats tend to tense up and hunch their shoulders. Cats see that as a sign of friendship and head on over to visit their new buddy.  Want to make friends with a cat?  Get down to their level and hunch your shoulders slightly. 

Silent Disapproval Robot

Also, you should try not to make direct eye contact because it's a sign of aggression.  If you do, blink slowly as that's a sign indicating non-threatening status.  That's the reason cats seem to go towards people who don't like cats.  The lack of eye contact, the slightly hunched shoulders, and a pulled in chin are all friendship/submission indicators to cats.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on March 31, 2016, 08:23:34 AM
Nah.  People who don't like cats tend to tense up and hunch their shoulders. Cats see that as a sign of friendship and head on over to visit their new buddy.  Want to make friends with a cat?  Get down to their level and hunch your shoulders slightly.

If you follow this advice be sure to wear face protection. Especially if you have a tendency to absentmindedly growl to yourself, or even wheeze...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Bake a lasagna. My understanding is that cats love lasagna and hate Mondays.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

JasonPratt

Two words.

Laser.

Pointer.

Unless you're allergic to cats (as above noted  ;) ), you'll often have to work to form a friendship with them. 3 years old is adolescent for a cat, or young adult, and well past the super-social kitten stage (though some cats never outgrow that).

Also, cats sleep an average of 16 hours a day. But for many cats, significant amounts of that sleep happens when they seem to be awake. Cats have trouble distinguishing between being awake and asleep, so to a cat the real world looks like dreaming and vice versa. So many or most cats are naturally schizophrenic, which along with their somewhat alien instincts (by human standards) leads to a lot of the amusingly or infuriatingly (or sometimes even dangerously) insane behavior.

Reducing the food level can help the cat's hunter/social instincts kick into gear, too.

The breed of cat can be a factor as well. Some cats have been bred to just sit there and look around. But you're less likely to get that behavior from a predominantly black cat or a Russian Blue (to give two examples off the top of my head).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Huw the Poo

Yeah we have a laser pointer (we were very well prepared for this moggy!), and of course, she's completely uninterested in it.  Your other points are noted Jason, thanks - especially about food; she's currently fed three times a day which seems like a lot to me but it's what she was on at the charity.  Maybe we'll wean her down to two feeds.

mirth

Three feedings a day does seem like a lot for an adult cat.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

pfig

Well, that's what cats do best :)

Seriously now, a cat will take around 6 weeks to feel at home and bond with their humans. Do not let her get outside before that.

Also, but a laser pointer and some catnip toys (meth for cats).

Huw the Poo

Quote from: pfig on March 31, 2016, 04:57:18 PM
Seriously now, a cat will take around 6 weeks to feel at home and bond with their humans. Do not let her get outside before that.

Yeah, we definitely won't be letting her outside any time soon.  We need to be at least fairly sure she'll want to come back.

QuoteAlso, but a laser pointer and some catnip toys (meth for cats).

You haven't read the whole thread, have you? ;)

MetalDog

I just read something the other night about laser pointers and cats.  The article said that after using the pointer, you should have a toy for the cat to 'catch.'  Otherwise, it will feel frustrated and may act out.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bbmike

You might want to read up on laser pointers and cats. It's not a good thing for some of them. We had to stop with our cats because one of them would continue to look for it long after we quit playing with him.  :o
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

Quote from: bbmike on March 31, 2016, 05:33:42 PM
You might want to read up on laser pointers and cats. It's not a good thing for some of them. We had to stop with our cats because one of them would continue to look for it long after we quit playing with him.  :o

That dovetails well with what MD posted. Also, (do I even need to say this?) NEVER allow the beam to hit the cat in the eye. There is no 'safe' laser pointer as far as the retina is concerned, animal or human.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Emeraldlis

I have two cats , one we rescued and one we got off a friend of ours when her cat had kittens . I LOVE them both , they're an absolute joy in my life :)  my black cat is super intelligent and you can see it in his eyes , he can open my bedroom door and it's a latch !! My other cat is sooooooo ditsy in comparison , but she makes me laugh so much with her antics ! She loves to climb trees , but can't get down . My other cat , the brainy one , once showed her how to get down . He patiently sat at the bottom of the tree , and kept going up and down it , just to show her how to climb down , and he would NOT leave her side until she managed it , and she did . He's strangely protective  of her , which is so adorable and funny , because she has her head in the clouds and just merrily lets him look after her , very sweet  :smitten:  also if he wants to sit in her chair ...... Oh yep , she has claimed one of our chairs in the lounge as her own  ;D , he licks her to death Until she moves over for him and let's him sit with her ......they're like a flippin married couple !!

I seriously love watching how they interact . And they both seem to read my moods really well , if I'm down or in a bad mood they'll come and cuddle up with me :) 

Please give yourself and your cat time to get to know each other , I agree with other people on here , once you bond , wow , you've got a friend for life . Despite what other people say , I think they are loyal . My brainy cat will even play go fetch in the garden with me .....maybe he thinks he's a dog !!!,  ;D shhhhhh , no one tell him he isn't !,
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog