Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Started by son_of_montfort, December 19, 2013, 11:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

http://steamcommunity.com/app/379430/discussions/0/1693788202021138504/

So patch 1.3 adds Save on Exit function, that means Saviour Schnapps is useless you just exit game if you want save.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/379430/discussions/0/1693788202021829478/

It's adding a "Save & Exit" option for those who may have inconsistent amounts of free time to play this game. Savior schnapps is still the only way to manually save the game.

To add a manual save (without the need for schnapps) you still need to use this mod : https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/1?tab=files

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

That is pretty hilarious that someone would so vociferously complain about the addition of the save feature. I mean really...if you are that much against it, just don't use it! Duh!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Tpek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 21, 2018, 10:48:45 AM
That is pretty hilarious that someone would so vociferously complain about the addition of the save feature. I mean really...if you are that much against it, just don't use it! Duh!

The internet is full of idiots, whose main enjoyment in life is making sure others don't enjoy themselves at all.

mikeck

I asked before but didn't see an answer.
After the tutorial, does the game "open up" a lot? Is it like Skyrim inasmuch as you can pick and choose various quests to go on when you want? Does it feel like a sandbox open world with tons of places to go and things to do besides the main storyline?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

glen55

Quote from: mikeck on February 21, 2018, 01:29:49 PM
I asked before but didn't see an answer.
After the tutorial, does the game "open up" a lot? Is it like Skyrim inasmuch as you can pick and choose various quests to go on when you want? Does it feel like a sandbox open world with tons of places to go and things to do besides the main storyline?

I am only a few hours in and would like to hear from others about this. I was initially pretty disappointed by how "on rails" the game was, as I was expecting something a little more like The Guild 1400 with better combat where I could really choose my own way through the world. I was especially disappointed when it seemed like the only way to finish one of the very first tasks you're given [spoiler]all but requires you to murder some guy because you couldn't get a little money out of him on a debt he owes your dad. There are other solutions available, I think, if you have the patience to begin the game looking all over the game map for a needle in a haystack - but when I looked it up online it told me to sneak up on the guy and murder him. So that's what I did.[/spoiler]

Overall, here a few hours in it seems like the game has a story that is on rails, and frequently you are required to immediately perform story tasks, but at other points you have time to kill and the game is wide frickin' open for you to do whatever you please in a large-ish and well-made open world. The on-rail parts are well done, too. I'm starting to like it more and more.

But I hope other folks who have played farther than I chime in on on-rails vs. open world.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Jarhead0331

^With regard to your spoiler, that's nuts! I had to do no such thing and although I did need to resort to violence, it was the old fashioned way, mano a mano, and everyone lived to talk about it in the tavern that night. I know a lot of people who resolved that quest without resorting to the actions you described, so I think its hard to use that as an example of the game being on rails...

The game is unquestionably story driven. Its not truly a sandbox. Sure there are times you can wander and engage in "side quests", if you will, but I'm finding there is little point or incentive to do so. The story is where the fun is...it is superbly well written and extremely engrossing overall.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

glen55

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 21, 2018, 02:10:28 PM
^With regard to your spoiler, that's nuts! I had to do no such thing and although I did need to resort to violence, it was the old fashioned way, mano a mano, and everyone lived to talk about it in the tavern that night. I know a lot of people who resolved that quest without resorting to the actions you described, so I think its hard to use that as an example of the game being on rails...

The game is unquestionably story driven. Its not truly a sandbox. Sure there are times you can wander and engage in "side quests", if you will, but I'm finding there is little point or incentive to do so. The story is where the fun is...it is superbly well written and extremely engrossing overall.

Heh heh, when I tried a fistfight with him, he kicked my ass. If this had been later on, I might've prevailed, but as pretty much the first thing in the game, he was way too tough for me. Combat in this game is a different animal from what we are used to, that's for sure.

Anyway, maybe I'm wrong about that being a good example of on-rails, but still it's very much on rails early on. It is well done, though, at least most of the time.

But I do find an incentive to wander around. Most of my food early on came from corpses I looted in the aftermath of a battle: the scripted events just don't provide enough (or places to sleep, for that matter). And I make more money finding herbs, etc. than through the plot.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Yskonyn

Food hasn't been a problem at all for me. I just eat out of every pot on a bonfire I come across.
Talking about that, you can also use these pots 'to solve problems of overcrowdedness'. 😜

The devs claimed the game would be a medieval life simulator and they succeeded as far as the NPC's are concerned. They sleep, eat, go to work, buy groceries and return home in a daily cycle. Pretty cool.
But you, as the player, are a little disconnected from it all I find unless you force strict roleplaying rules on yourself.

The game isn't Skyrim open, but in between main quests the progress stops if you do as well enabling you to go about and do stuff in the world.
There are sidequests with little stories and Activities which require you to work or gather or haul; you could train skills with this, but is slow and pretty boring.

I have also found a weird bug where if you save before going into an armory, then let yourself get caught and choose to be thrown in jail, then reload. All the items in the armory suddenly are marked as 'Pick Up' instead of 'Steal'.

The story is grand so far though! Very fun. I am 18 hrs in now and nowhere near a conclusion.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Ian C

Once you get past the opening titles (6 hours in or so) it is open-world. Quests can be delayed as long as they have no time limit. In between quests I've been cheerfully exploring, getting waylaid by bandits, meeting wayfarers, bagging hares and deer, collecting herbs, learning to read and increasing my skills. It's a great game.

SirAndrewD

The first part of the game is indeed totally on rails, and it stays that way until you get to Rattay.  During this period you aren't really going to win many fights, although the one involved in getting your father's debt back is winnable if you take care.

You won't start getting good at combat until you get actual training later.  Until that point, opponents are going to easily block you and just knock away your strikes like a cat playing with a mouse.

The key to combat is to be smart about it, even later.  When kitted out in armor you can last a while, and when you get your strength higher, the blocks of enemies won't be as effective and you can really start to wear them down.  Don't take on too many at once, even later, and don't play it like a crazy hack and slash.  You have to time blocks, chain combos, be tactical and pay attention to the stance, armor and weapon kit of your opponent.

It also really pays to get the jump on someone and get them off balance.  Much like real combat, the winner is usually the one that gets initiative and lands the first blows.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

I wouldn't even call the opening prologue setup "on rails"; no more so than the rest of the plot. You have a number of things to get done, and you can go about them in various orders and through various methods (some of which depend on various orders). Or you can sluff off and wander around exploring. You just don't have many abilities and tools to work with yet.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Anybody else having CTDs since the update today? I can barely get the game loaded. WTF?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Skoop

No CTDs but bunch of texture slow loading issues, not sure if this is because of how far I am in the campaign with everything chugging along under the hood or from patches.

So, I think I finished the main story.  The good news is there is an epilog phase so you can still continue in the open world.  There's even a main story to the epilog. 

Spoilers........

.....but I'm guessing the big show down with the bald german knight will come in dlc.

Still, the battles that line up in the main story are epic and amazing to play through.  My son thought it was the best action moving He'd ever seen, until he realized it was a video game, then he was glued to the screen watching me. 

I got a little burnt on all the errand running in the main story, but the battle sequences definitely made up for it.

It was a blast.

....some tips....

Use the save mod.

Level up your sword skills with Bernard.  Keep grinding in the practice sword arena til your atleast level 12 to 15.  Your defense skill will levelup when your doing this along with other skills.

If you use a shield, a short sword works better. 

Make sure you take the time to level your skills in practice, you'll never make it through the battles with out it.

Once you level your skills you can easily take down most opponents, though being out numbered 5 to 1 will still get you killed.

You can find some great weapons and armor off NPCs, just repair them and good as new.

Always keep your armor repaired after fights.

Other notes....

Love the combat system, but for the life of me in the chaos I can never do the special moves.  I'm just so powerful now that I spam slash, block, clinch, kick, and slash....does the trick.

Use google when stuck, it got me out of some rage quit moments.

And the monastery missions were boring as hell, but I give the devs points for what they did.  I just couldn't spent a day pretending to live the life of a monk, so I charged in stabbed the guy and moved on in 5 min.