AGEOD To End All Wars any good?

Started by Blucher, November 24, 2017, 04:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blucher

What do you guys think of EAW is it any good?

Wburn

If it's on sale get it. It's a chore after 1915, too many units and armies showing up and then you need to try to fight with them. Both sides get massive entrenchments bonuses after 1914 making it impossible to make any kind of headway offensively. Actually models WW1 pretty well in that respect. I prefer the older WW1 centennial edition, easier to manage large armies etc.
here is a link..
https://www.gamersgate.com/DD-WWOCE/world-war-1-centennial-edition

bobarossa

I found TEAW didn't model ww1 well.  The "March to the sound of the guns" feature in the AGEOD engine would draw neighboring corps into a battle and they might not get back to cover their region afterwards.  It was also impossible to move as fast as actually happened in August even if no one was in front of you.  I never got past the first couple months due to this so I don't know about 1915.

Sir Slash

Agree with the above. The game wasn't unmanageable but there's way too many units to control effectively and the month long turns are too long. The AI will 'shotgun' it's forces at you to no end and you end up playing whack-a-mole throughout. You can adjust the AI aggressiveness in the options panel and this may help a little. It did with my game in Civil War 2. I plan on getting the 'Breaking the Deadlock' add-on where the campaigns are smaller and in two-week turns and see if I like these better. It is still a very deep game that can be fun to play with lots of options and decisions to make if you like that sort of thing. The engine fits ACW better I think.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mikeck

I think it's pretty good but as much as I love AGEOD games, this one, pride of nations and Wars of Napoleon just require to much from the engine. The newer games like English Civil War And "Wars of Secession" (if it ever gets out of beta...I'm a tester) have really moved the games back in the right direction. Also, I hate any AGEOD games where turned aa 1 month. If I dispatch an army on a siege, it shouldn't take me a month to get a message to them to come back because I'm under attack.

I like it better than any other WW1 game because of the control it gives me over creating my armies and Corps...but as mentioned above, it gets bogged down and I'm not sure the AI knows how to use a lot of the options
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson