Precipice: a Turn-based Cold War Strategy Game

Started by steve58, August 07, 2019, 02:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Grim.Reaper

i always wonder what research results in putting animals or cartoons into serious type games....how does that happen?

that alone makes me not interested.....

Huw the Poo

Yeah, it's weird how off-putting that is.  Nevertheless, I think I'd play this game.  I'll add it to my ever-expanding wishlist, for what it's worth...

Staggerwing

^^^ Narrator, playing as the US: "... our food is being imported exclusively from Israel and Australia..."

Huh, say what now?  ???
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

The_Admiral

Oh well, at least it has its own style - but I understand it as a clever way not to bother with national politics and successive administrations. Balance of Power doesn't do that either, but at least in here they don't have to put the actual face of Brejnev, Reagan or Khadafi. These are kind of cute.

Still not sure if it's my cup of tea though, these West vs East political games are more akin to clever boardgames than actual political simulations. In terms of Cold-War era political simulators, not sure anything comes close to the (much underrated) Crisis in Kremlin and Ostalgie series  :notworthy:
I'd like to tell you my opinion about the latest one, Mao's legacy, but sadly I won't ever be allowed to install it on my China-locked Steam it seems  :-\

Huw the Poo

Quote from: The_Admiral on August 08, 2019, 01:09:38 AM
In terms of Cold-War era political simulators, not sure anything comes close to the (much underrated) Crisis in Kremlin and Ostalgie series

Are they good then?  I bought Crisis in the Kremlin but when I loaded it the presentation was so...bizarre...I honestly didn't know whether I'd fallen for some weird joke!

mbar

I've bought Precipice and Twilight Struggle. I've already returned Twilight Struggle. I was playing the tutorial and kept thinking 'I'd never play this again' even though it is highly recommended. I plan on buying Terminal Conflict at some point but I'm spending money on other games right now.

JasonPratt

TwiStrug isn't really a political game, so much as an area-control card game with strong geopolitical flavor.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

The_Admiral

Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 08, 2019, 07:19:25 AM
In terms of Cold-War era political simulators, not sure anything comes close to the (much underrated) Crisis in Kremlin and Ostalgie series

Are they good then?  I bought Crisis in the Kremlin but when I loaded it the presentation was so...bizarre...I honestly didn't know whether I'd fallen for some weird joke!

Ah yeah right, I forgot to mention that the GUI is... How to say... Very soviet-inspired? ^^
Terribly crude indeed. And the translation is terrible, and makes it all the more painful to play, I agree with that too.

They are really hard to get into for all the reasons, but they have a flavor that no other product can equal on that topic. But it's true the first time you run them you wonder if you didn't just get scammed or something. The design is terribly cheap, especially Crisis, as the first one of the series, but it gets better. Besides, Crisis just got a Chernobyl update. In the end we end up with a better Kremlin simulator than any white house simulator before this one (even Shadow President somewhat pales in comparison). The interface is a pain, but the reward is real. I graduated in Political Sciences, obviously if I wasn't making a carrier game, I think I'd be making a western democracy knockoff (that is, unlike Democracy, rather anchored in history with some actual national flavor).

I mean, just take a look at Ostalgie's second trailer that shows a few mechanics, and tell me how one can get more specific in its flavor than that!  :notworthy:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/774091/Ostalgie_The_Berlin_Wall/

Tripoli

Quote from: The_Admiral on August 08, 2019, 09:39:26 AM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 08, 2019, 07:19:25 AM

...There are really hard to get into for all the reasons, but they have a flavor that no other product can equal on that topic. But it's true the first time you run them you wonder if you didn't just get scammed or something. The design is terribly cheap, especially Crisis, as the first one of the series, but it gets better. Besides, Crisis just got a Chernobyl update. In the end we end up with a better Kremlin simulator than any white house simulator before this one (even Shadow President somewhat pales in comparison). The interface is a pain, but the reward is real. I graduated in Political Sciences, obviously if I wasn't making a carrier game, I think I'd be making a western democracy knockoff (that is, unlike Democracy, rather anchored in history with some actual national flavor).

I mean, just take a look at Ostalgie's second trailer that shows a few mechanics, and tell me how one can get more specific in its flavor than that!  :notworthy:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/774091/Ostalgie_The_Berlin_Wall/

You talked me into buying the whole Crisis series.   Possibly I'll do a AAR, if people are interested. I have tried to find a good political simulator for decades.  I started with "Balance of Power" back in 1985, but haven't found a decent political simulator in all that time.  I wasn't impressed with Shadow President, but it was a fairly good effort for the time and the available technology. I'm interested to see how GMT's upcoming boardgame "Mr. President" (https://www.gmtgames.com/p-555-mr-president-the-american-presidency-2001-2020.aspx) handles this topic.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

The_Admiral

Oh well, I hope it will not come back and bite me in the *ss  >:D

Besides, sorry everybody for the terrible grammar, I was just waking up from my afternoon nap  :hide:

Huw the Poo

Looks like Pratt just bought them all too.  :)

mikeck

I'm sorry, but I want some degree of realism. They lost me on "The US has no food and is importing it from Australia and Israel. Huh?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

JasonPratt

Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 08, 2019, 01:14:25 PM
Looks like Pratt just bought them all too.  :)

I already had Crisis in the Krem (which was updating, perhaps not coincidentally, when I ran into The Admiral's discussion downpage).

I didn't have the others yet. Also, I didn't pick up the China one yet, on the basis that heck I haven't even played CrisKrem yet!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

steve58

FYI:  You can pick up Precipice for $1 over at Fanatical.  Its part of a Build your own Bundle pack.  1 for $1, 5 for $3, etc
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)