Where Eagles Dare

Started by MengJiao, August 28, 2012, 08:44:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Another training scenario in the Grand Tactical Series:

KG Chill and the 59th Infantry deploy to attack in the fog, Sept 21 1944, 7 am, near Veghel:

GJK

How is it playing on the "calthrop" hexes?  That seems to be a fairly new trend yet I'm glad (I think) that none of my newer games used those but instead stuck with a traditional hex grid. 
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

Meng - how's the playing time on one of the 'grand tactical' games?  Can you knock one out in a weekend?  Or is it a longer commitment? 
What's the physical footprint needed to play?  Card table? Dining room table?  Pool table?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MengJiao

Quote from: GJK on August 28, 2012, 09:46:42 PM
How is it playing on the "calthrop" hexes?  That seems to be a fairly new trend yet I'm glad (I think) that none of my newer games used those but instead stuck with a traditional hex grid.

I have found the maps to be -- well -- probably the very best game maps I've ever seen.  They really seem to be a major advance in terms of simplicity of use with the dots and the impassible marking (basically to clarify which side of a river a unit is on).  Both the Bir Hakeim map and the four maps for WED are quite brilliantly done though in different ways.

The towers and steeples for observation are another fun aspect

MengJiao

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 29, 2012, 06:30:54 AM
Meng - how's the playing time on one of the 'grand tactical' games?  Can you knock one out in a weekend?  Or is it a longer commitment? 
What's the physical footprint needed to play?  Card table? Dining room table?  Pool table?

Playing time doesn't seem so bad.  I think once I know the the rules well enough not to have to read the manual every 5 minutes moving
through a 2 hour turn with say 2-4 divisions won't take more than say 45 minutes.  Of course that implies that a small scenario on one map will take an afternoon.  That means a full scale Bir Hakeim would take a card table and maybe a whole day.  A full-scale WED would take an extended pool table and more than one weekend.  The whole Market-garden (WED plus The Devil's Cauldron) is way into the monster game realm.  I'd have to do some work on extending the game loft.  Not likely any time soon.

So for the moment, I'm playing freely-invented training scenarios and ultimately maybe the full Bir Hakeim and the smaller scenario on the Son map for WED.  By then the 4-map semi-monster Grand Tactical British and Canadian drive from the beaches toward Caen should be out (early 2013?).  That strikes me as having more potential for one and two map scenarios.