Car Wars... nothing by Car Wars...

Started by son_of_montfort, May 06, 2012, 07:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

son_of_montfort

Ok, this is round about news. Steve Jackson Games announced, in the Ogre Kickstarter project, that if the Ogre project his ~$700,000 mark (now at $586,000), then SJG will open up a KS project for some renewal of Car Wars. I know Car Wars was really well loved, so if you are interested, then head on down there:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/847271320/ogre-designers-edition?ref=live

For people that ONLY want to help open up a Car Wars project, you can donate $23 and get a special "I made Steve Jackson remake Car Wars!" t-shirt. Or, you can go in whole hog and get this really really exciting and extras packed version of Ogre.

Check it out.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

meadbelly

It's interesting that Steve Jackson appears to be willing to license computer games again.

Staggerwing

These are potentially reissued board games, just 'deluxified'.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Arctic Blast

Okay Car Wars vets, tell me what this game is all about. It seems like something I might be in to, but I need some info!

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Arctic Blast on May 08, 2012, 09:17:35 PM
Okay Car Wars vets, tell me what this game is all about. It seems like something I might be in to, but I need some info!

I've heard the later editions were like some sort of math exercise in their complexity.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Barthheart

You never played Car Wars?!? It's like a board game version of Mad Max and Death Race 2000. YOu have armed and armoured cars and you drive around blasting your friends cars until they flip and crash or explode. Great fun!  8)

LongBlade

Quote from: Barthheart on May 09, 2012, 06:01:42 AM

You never played Car Wars?!? It's like a board game version of Mad Max and Death Race 2000. YOu have armed and armoured cars and you drive around blasting your friends cars until they flip and crash or explode. Great fun!  8)

+1.

It's a kind of RPG for cars. You start with a type of car: some are light and fast, some are heavy and slow but carry a lot. You put on MGs, rockets, armor. IIRC you can ram other cars...think Demolition Derby but with heavy arms. I played it when it first came out as a kid and it was awesome. A later, card-based version didn't do much for me. I'm interested to see what they do with this one.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

meadbelly

Most dastardly play I ever saw in Car Wars was the devious but clever decision of my opponent to turtle and let the fight come to him. He built a bus, without an engine (using iirc the rules that indicate everyone starts at x mph), and used the missing points to buy armor and about 10 rifle-armed passengers.

Several of us were stupid enough to try a couple of driveby's before realizing that a large portion of our armament was designed to do what he had already accomplished by design -- stop moving -- and our remaining armor was just not going to stand up to the equivalent of three or four cars pouring lead into us every time we tried to drop a grenade or laser into the non-engine engine block.

So we beat up on each other, and the penultimate man standing decided that death was better than stalement and ended the battle by kinetic energy -- a 120 mph impact. Twas beautiful. Seriously needed/deserved some eye candy 'splosions.

LongBlade

Quote from: meadbelly on May 09, 2012, 04:33:11 PM
Most dastardly play I ever saw in Car Wars was the devious but clever decision of my opponent to turtle and let the fight come to him. He built a bus, without an engine (using iirc the rules that indicate everyone starts at x mph), and used the missing points to buy armor and about 10 rifle-armed passengers.

Several of us were stupid enough to try a couple of driveby's before realizing that a large portion of our armament was designed to do what he had already accomplished by design -- stop moving -- and our remaining armor was just not going to stand up to the equivalent of three or four cars pouring lead into us every time we tried to drop a grenade or laser into the non-engine engine block.

So we beat up on each other, and the penultimate man standing decided that death was better than stalement and ended the battle by kinetic energy -- a 120 mph impact. Twas beautiful. Seriously needed/deserved some eye candy 'splosions.

Ha! Great story :)

0kult13

There was also a series of car wars rpg gamebooks, have toyed with the idea of tracking a few down. Never played any car wars, instead had dark future and the superb thunder road.

http://www.gamebooks.org/show_series.php?id=62

eyebiter

GroggyGrognard

Quote from: meadbelly on May 09, 2012, 04:33:11 PM

+1 Awesome story.  Reminds me of my middle school/high school days gone by when I played Car Wars on the weekends at our local gaming store. One of our more entertaining games was TRYING to stop anyone who brought on an 18-wheeler bristling with mounted turret guns, lasers, rockets.  Bastards were almost as hard to take out as OGREs. Some unfortunate schmucks got steamrolled, which was especially amusing to watch. Good times.
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

LongBlade

Quote from: eyebiter on May 10, 2012, 12:43:20 PM
The Car Wars brand is ripe for a MMO publisher to pick up as a free to play computer game.  Would do well if they follow a modified version of the World of Tanks template. 

Players start as pedestrians, then after honing their anti-vehicle skills acquire a motorcycle.  Various upgrades are available including a sidecar, gunner, upgraded engine, new weapons, custom paint scheme.  Over time other chassis unlock (quad ATV, trike, dune buggy). 

Finally around level 20 the player can obtain their first subcompact car armed with two forward firing MG's and a dropped weapon.  The midsize and larger cars unlock after a substantial grind to research and acquire materials.  Of course as a F2P game players have the option to immediately purchase premium vehicles on the marketplace.

There is a Car Wars-like MMO out there now. It's also free to play. Turn-based, too!

http://www.dark-wind.com/

meadbelly

Is this thread triggering fond flashbacks of Interstate 76 for anyone else?

LongBlade

Quote from: meadbelly on May 11, 2012, 08:27:27 PM
Is this thread triggering fond flashbacks of Interstate 76 for anyone else?

I never played Interstate 76 but I used to work with a guy who was ranked #2 in the world in that game.