To clip or not to clip...

Started by JudgeDredd, August 31, 2016, 09:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Quote from: mirth on August 16, 2017, 06:07:55 PM

I have some shopping to do :P

Yep, me too.

It never ends.

Soon I find myself building a gaming table...
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Quote from: BanzaiCat on September 01, 2017, 07:33:49 AM
That 60mm Fiskars circular blade is awesome, gents - thanks for the recommendations. Had to figure out how to best hold down the counters with the metal ruler (cork side down, even pressure worked best). Only cut my index finger on my left hand twice! Fortunately I didn't get any blood on anything. Holy shit that thing is sharp.  :-[

My wife was looking at a few framed pictures of our kids the other day, thinking out loud those could be put together into one larger frame, perhaps, if they could be cut a bit smaller. Some excess space in their borders, can be done, she said...

To her surprise, she found her dear old hubby rising to the occasion. "I know just the cutter, I'll get one on my way back from work".

All I need now is a couple of new boardgames  O:-)

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

BanzaiCat

That's a good cutter. The guys here recommended it and it worked very well for me.  :bd:

Barthheart

Crossroads

Quote from: BanzaiCat on September 25, 2017, 10:32:33 AM
That's a good cutter. The guys here recommended it and it worked very well for me.  :bd:

Quote from: Barthheart on September 25, 2017, 10:34:31 AM
Yep, 2 thumbs from me.  :bd:

Sheesh but that thing is sharp.

Barthheart

BanzaiCat

I cut the index finger on my left hand twice.  :-[

Crossroads

Who said we're armchair generals only. We willingly, bravely bleed crimson blood for a chance to command our units  :tickedoff:

ArizonaTank

Edge coloring? 

So some guy on FB is showing off his very nicely clipped counters, with colored edges. So a red counter, gets red edges in the same shade as the counter face.

I must admit, it does look nice, and must make a stack look really good. But it takes counter love too far in my book. 

But then again, I am only a fair weather counter clipper...I like nice counters, and the way they stack, but not going to hold up a good game for it.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Nefaro

Quote from: mirth on August 31, 2016, 10:40:38 AM
The kerthunk sound it makes, as each corner is rounded to perfection, is indeed soothing.

Indeed.

Although mine needed two things:

1) More lubrication.

It squeaks quite readily.  I spray some lube into the guts, where the two metal posts are, and it reduces that problem.  Gotta do it occasionally, however, and it still squeaks a bit.

2) Tape over the two screw holes on the guide plate.

When turning counters while inside the guide plate, and without tape over those holes, it would scratch the colored paper on the counters a bit.  Not a big deal after putting a small slice of packing tape across them.  Change it out on rare occasions when an edge of the tape starts curling from regular rubbing.

The counters look damn good though.  \m/

GJK

Quote from: Crossroads on September 25, 2017, 10:22:23 AM
Quote from: BanzaiCat on September 01, 2017, 07:33:49 AM
That 60mm Fiskars circular blade is awesome, gents - thanks for the recommendations. Had to figure out how to best hold down the counters with the metal ruler (cork side down, even pressure worked best). Only cut my index finger on my left hand twice! Fortunately I didn't get any blood on anything. Holy shit that thing is sharp.  :-[

My wife was looking at a few framed pictures of our kids the other day, thinking out loud those could be put together into one larger frame, perhaps, if they could be cut a bit smaller. Some excess space in their borders, can be done, she said...

To her surprise, she found her dear old hubby rising to the occasion. "I know just the cutter, I'll get one on my way back from work".

All I need now is a couple of new boardgames  O:-)

I have this same model and have cut 100's of counters using it, all mostly done with success.  The issue that I was having was that I would have to take breaks more frequently than I wanted because my index finger (which would guide the cutter) would start to ache after some time.  I then found this one and am really happy with it - and I think my cuts are straighter and with no finger strain:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001DUJLQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Crossroads

ooh, a sight to behold! Legions (literally) of neat, tidy counters, each centuria organised in their proper place in contubernia of storage boxes, ...    :hug: :bd: :smitten:

Veni, Vidi, Clippi  :coolsmiley:

https://twitter.com/gzBlitz/status/1607829772117200897

Staggerwing

Board Wargamers outside the USA may not know all the US State names but Oregon is one that most of them do...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Crossroads

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 28, 2022, 06:46:22 AM
Board Wargamers outside the USA may not know all the US State names but Oregon is one that most of them do...

So you're saying there's other states too  :o

O:-)