What is a good power supply (PSU) rating these days?

Started by DoctorQuest, December 09, 2018, 04:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorQuest

I may be in the market for a new power supply and just curious what the grogs think is a good output rating these days. I probably don't need a high-end unit but I want to be able to run a decent video card along side an I7 type processor.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I will be doing my own research as well but I know a number of you build your own rigs and can bring that expertise to bear on my question.

Thanks!  :notworthy:
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

jamus34

Dr - without some more specifics it's hard to give advice

I think your first step is to go to a power calculator and put in all your components plus planned upgrades to see what you power overhead needs to be.

After that all I can suggest is get a name brand, don't go generic or no name.

I use to like Corsair but it seems their quality has gone done so now I roll with an EVGA.
Insert witty comment here.

Huw the Poo

Yeah, there are several online calculators that will tell you what you need.  Also the GPU you buy will have a minimum requirement listed, which I believe will be by far the most power-hungry part of any normal setup.

As Jamus says, get a good brand.  The PSU is one thing you do not want to skimp on.  Get a gold-rated supply if you can.

Grim.Reaper

This is what I bought this year when I built my rig...probably a little overkill but the price of PSU is pretty cheap between the various levels...better to be safe than sorry, think at the time I paid $150 for it.

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G1+, 80 Plus Gold 1000W, Fully Modular, FDB Fan, 10 Year Warranty, Includes Power ON Self Tester, Power Supply 120-GP-1000-X1

demjansk1942