What's Cool in Science This Week?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 09, 2017, 11:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeGER

pass by of Ultima Thule was 6:33 Uhr MEZ this morn at about 3500 km distance

it takes about 12hours ! until first data/images arrive   ...so the probe is 12 light hours away, go figure :D 

(in comparison: the light form the sun we enjoy is only 8 min 'old')     

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Pete Dero

https://www.space.com/42883-china-first-landing-moon-far-side.html
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46724727

China's robotic Chang'e 4 mission touched down on the floor of the 115-mile-wide (186 kilometers) Von Kármán Crater Wednesday night (Jan. 2), pulling off the first-ever soft landing on the mysterious lunar far side.

Far side of the moon, and not the dark side like reported on some news sites  :nerd:  :hide:!

Pete Dero

Quote from: MikeGER on January 01, 2019, 04:55:05 AM
pass by of Ultima Thule was 6:33 Uhr MEZ this morn at about 3500 km distance

it takes about 12hours ! until first data/images arrive   ...so the probe is 12 light hours away, go figure :D 

(in comparison: the light form the sun we enjoy is only 8 min 'old')   

One of the probe's instruments recorded the colour (L) of Ultima Thule. This has been laid over the high-resolution B&W image (C) to produce a combination (R)

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Staggerwing

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Staggerwing

Sir Slash

I thought I've been leaning more to the left in my easy chair lately. Also the spare change that falls out of my pockets into the couch has begun to show-up on the fridge next to the magnetic stickers.  :o
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Sir Slash

Cool. Gator-sicles. Or, Alli-pops?  O0