Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game

Started by Bison, January 10, 2017, 03:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Well even though all BFRPG material is free online, I picked up a bunch of the books because I don't like digital media at the table.  Real books and dice FTW!  The core rulebook cost me $5 on Amazon.  I really like their approach to OSR and the community seems to be very friendly.  Anyway, I told the oldest we are going to do some old school RPGing and didn't want to risk damage to my aging Basic D&D books.  So this is going to work really well plus the rules are very simple and will let the oldest GM without a lot of rules overhead.

mirth

Oh Lord. I did not need to know this existed :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

I'd check it out.  There is a great supplemental download section too that adds classes, races, spells, and other things.  The best part is it's totally free to read, use, download, and purchase is only a requirement if you like having a paper book that's professionally printed. 

Bison

mirth

Quote from: Bison on January 10, 2017, 04:39:40 PM
Here's the link to their site.  http://basicfantasy.org

Thanks. I looked it up after reading your first post. I also found the printed books on Amazon.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bbmike

I just received an email yesterday that my copy of Dungeon Crawl Classics is about to ship. No way I'm clicking on that link.  >:D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Bison

Quote from: bbmike on January 10, 2017, 08:05:39 PM
I just received an email yesterday that my copy of Dungeon Crawl Classics is about to ship. No way I'm clicking on that link.  >:D

I want to eventually get DCC.  You should click on the link.  It's free to download the PDF files.

mirth

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Bison

This is the RPG goodness you get from amazon for less than $45.

mirth

Bison

I also picked up Gonnerman's primer on old school role playing games for the oldest to read.  It's a short 60 page book.  I read it in a half hour or less, but it's really well done.  And does exactly what it sets out to do and introduce beginner gamers to "old school" rpgs and how to make basic dungeons and tips for being a game master.  Excellent little volume.

https://www.amazon.com/Role-Playing-Game-Primer-Old-School-Playbook/dp/1502764342/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484348221&sr=8-1&keywords=gonnerman+old+school+primer

mirth

You take your hobbies pretty seriously...It might be time to invest in a counter trimmer ;)

Bison

Quote from: mirth on January 14, 2017, 05:30:24 AM
You take your hobbies pretty seriously...It might be time to invest in a counter trimmer ;)

It's on the list.