Fog & Friction WWII card game

Started by Tom@PfG, May 05, 2015, 03:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom@PfG

Hello all,

Following bayonetbrant's invite, I'm here to share our game Fog & Friction WWII, the expandable card game! 

In the Summer of 1944 the Allied invasion of France began, the fate of Europe now lay in the hands of military commanders. As one of those commanders, you must take control of either an Allied or Axis combined arms force and lead them to victory. Will you use cunning and deception to out-think and out-manoeuvre your enemy, or rely on tanks and guns to smash through their lines with brute force? You will have to manage your resources carefully, deciding when and how to commit your forces for best effect as you fight across two battlefields at a time. But no plan survives contact with the enemy, do you have what it takes to overcome the unpredictable Fog & Friction of war and prove yourself as the greatest military commander?

"Battles are won by slaughter and manoeuvre.
The greater the general, the more he contributes in manoeuvre, the less he demands in slaughter."

- Winston Churchill

We've been getting great feedback on the game so far and believe we have a good, fun, well-balanced game.  We encourage anyone interested in wargames, cardgames or WWII to take a look and see if it's for them.  Any support for the Kickstarter would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a short video summing up what Fog & Friction is all about:

Thanks for your time, I hope to see you on the battlefield soon!  And thanks to brant for giving me the nudge to get over here.  O0

Arctic Blast

And...backed.

Seriously, me starting to use Kickstarter was really bad for the safety of my bank account.  :-\

Tom@PfG

Quote from: Arctic Blast on May 06, 2015, 01:00:20 AM
And...backed.

Seriously, me starting to use Kickstarter was really bad for the safety of my bank account.  :-\
Many thanks for your support!  We did try to keep the pledge price as low as possible! ;)

bbmike

Count me in. I've been starting to get into card games recently (just bought Star Fleet Battle Force) and this looks like a lot of fun. And it's also my first Kickstarter investment!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Tom@PfG

Quote from: bbmike on May 06, 2015, 05:42:39 AM
Count me in. I've been starting to get into card games recently (just bought Star Fleet Battle Force) and this looks like a lot of fun. And it's also my first Kickstarter investment!
Hi Mike,
Many thanks for your pledge and welcome to the world of card games and Kickstarters!

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Tom@PfG on May 06, 2015, 04:52:22 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on May 06, 2015, 01:00:20 AM
And...backed.

Many thanks for your support!  We did try to keep the pledge price as low as possible! ;)

Oh, definitely. No complaints at all on pricing.  :)

Tom@PfG

Just to let you know we've uploaded a new Example of Play pdf to the campaign page to help with learning the game. 

A proper Let's Play video is also in the works!

Tom@PfG

Dear Commanders,

Following a slow start to the campaign and communication with a our Kickstarter backers, we have received some fantastic feedback, both encouraging and constructively critical.  Not only have we attracted the backing of some very experienced Kickstarter users, but also from some first-timers, so it is clear to us we are doing something right with Fog & Friction WWII! 

The response to the game itself has been very positive, so we are happy in the knowledge the game is solid and you want it published, which is great!  The reality is we tried to Kickstart the project too early, before raising enough awareness and following for the game.  So in light of the feedback, and in line with our own feelings, we have decided to suspend the current Kickstarter and relaunch it later in the year.  This is a strategic withdrawal, not a retreat!..  and certainly not us dressing up a defeat in Dunkirk propaganda!

Adapt and Overcome
We hope that re-launching the project will put us in a much stronger position to have a successful Kickstarter and get the game into your hands!  It will allow us to do three main things:
1. Correct our accounting error and lower the overall goal amount.  We will also address the costing of the higher level pledges to reflect the new target and give better value for money.
2. Give us time to build a larger community around the game, spread the word and, perhaps most importantly, gather some independent third party previews/reviews.
3. Finalise the expansion decks for the stretch goal and manufacture some prototype play mats so we have them ready at the start of the campaign.

Obviously, we apologise for essentially failing you this first time and are now even more determined to be successful.  Another Churchill quote seems appropriate here...

"You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: It is victory, victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

Ok, so that's maybe a little melodramatic, but hopefully you appreciate the sentiment!

A Call to Arms!
So we are going to do all we can ourselves to push the game forward, but we also appeal to you for continued help and support.  Please like us on Facebook, follow us on twitter, chat about the game on forums and blogs, and help us fill out the BGG game page with lots of cool stuff!  We also encourage you to sign up to our forums and discuss the game with us there, post up After Action Reports and share your ideas and suggestions.

We are in the process of approaching bloggers, reviewers and gaming clubs directly, but if you know of any interested parties or would like to write about the game yourself, please don't hesitate to contact us to see if we can help you in any way.

A big thank you for all your support and encouragement so far, without you we are a High Command with no Generals.  It is for you we want to achieve victory!

Tom & Jeremy
Pondfoot Games War Office

info@pondfootgames.co.uk

Links:
http://www.facebook.com/pondfootgames
@pondfootgames
http://www.forums.pondfootgames.co.uk
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/172581/fog-friction-wwii

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

Count me in again for the relaunch.  8)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Tom@PfG on May 18, 2015, 07:19:55 AM

Ok, so that's maybe a little melodramatic, but hopefully you appreciate the sentiment!

If the sentiment is "sod off," then I guess that gesture communicates that well enough. It was my understanding that a backward-facing 'V' is the same as a middle finger here stateside. Though I doubt you intended to communicate that.  :2funny:

In any case I've never backed a Kickstarter in my life, and I'm going to try to sneak this one under the wife's radar.

Tom@PfG

Thanks for the replies and support gents, much obliged.  We will keep you updated with progress.

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on May 18, 2015, 10:25:04 AM
If the sentiment is "sod off," then I guess that gesture communicates that well enough. It was my understanding that a backward-facing 'V' is the same as a middle finger here stateside. Though I doubt you intended to communicate that.  :2funny:
In any case I've never backed a Kickstarter in my life, and I'm going to try to sneak this one under the wife's radar.
HAHA, no the sentiment is not sod off lol... Churchill was known to do the V sign either way, though I always suspected when he did it this way he knew he was being a little bit cheeky and a little bit stubborn... which we don't mind as the sentiment!  But hopefully people will not take offence! :D  To victory!

bbmike

I took it to mean he wanted us to order TWO copies of Fog & Friction.  :P
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Tom@PfG

Quote from: bbmike on May 18, 2015, 11:15:12 AM
I took it to mean he wanted us to order TWO copies of Fog & Friction.  :P
O0

You're giving me ideas for a new PR poster!   ;D

Arctic Blast

O0 Well, once you relaunch the KS, I'll be happy to hop in and pledge again.