Main Menu

Exercise Habits

Started by Bison, July 31, 2012, 01:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Avoid Eth?

(... anol, especially of the tasty brown ale kind...)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bison

I just did a 2 mile run.  Due to travel and moving and vacation lets just say I have not be doing a regular cardio workout.  It hurt alot.  Not to mention I had tacos for lunch which really didn't help.  However I struggled through at a 8:06/mi pace.  Not too shabby for my lackluster workout regiment lately, but a fair cry from it feels good.

TheCommandTent

^Good for you.  Sometimes its hard just to get up and do it when you haven't run in a while

While we are on the subject of exercise my wife is slowly wearing me down about buying an elliptic machine.  Given the fact that winter is approaching and I get really lazy during the winter I am think it might be a good idea.  So any of you guys have any idea on what brands we should be looking into or staying away from?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Bison

Not really, but I would highly recommend one where you can plug in an iPod and has a workout display to track and change up your workouts.  They are really nice machines.

Gusington

Weird my wife and I are shopping for an elliptical machine too...

Each day this week so far I have gone on a 5 mile hike after work because the weather has been so nice. Takes about an hour. Each day I lost one pound. I may do this for as long as I can instead of working out on the 100 year old NordicTrak ski machine I have (to be replaced by the elliptical, eventually).

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

sex burns 2000 calories an hour.
or so Ive heard.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Gusington on September 12, 2012, 08:36:10 PM
Weird my wife and I are shopping for an elliptical machine too...

Each day this week so far I have gone on a 5 mile hike after work because the weather has been so nice. Takes about an hour. Each day I lost one pound. I may do this for as long as I can instead of working out on the 100 year old NordicTrak ski machine I have (to be replaced by the elliptical, eventually).

Odd coincidence.

My in-laws have one of those ski machines, I tried to use it but it was to uncomfortable.  I think this weekend we may go out looking and trying some of the different ellipticals.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Marty Ward

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 13, 2012, 08:04:13 AM
sex burns 2000 calories an hour.
or so Ive heard.

Will I lose weight burning 33 calories a day for 60 days?  :)
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Keunert

i am slowly turning into a dirty old fatbag. having two small kids (2yo & 4yo) it feels like i am pretty much just going from 06:30 to 21:00. how do you manage to get your workouts done? and where on a day do you get them in?
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Bison

Well the family got a membership at the Y.  Pretty good deal for everyone.  Kids get dance, gymnastics, pool and workout programs.  Wife and I get outdoor running paths, weight rooms and a ton of different types of exercise classes.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I finished my first week on the Body-For-Life program.  I'm not sure about it.  The change in workout routine was hard for the first couple of days and my muscles adjusted.   I'm used to working just 2 body parts per day, but doing 3-5 different excercises with heavy weights for each zone.  The BFL program alternates between upper body one day, then cardio the next, and then lower body the third day.  You do one exercise for each body part with increasing weights and very short breaks between sets.  It took a bit to dial into what the program is asking of you but now that I am, I'm finding that I'm not feeling that I'm keeping pace with my old workout.

Diet has been another adjustment.  This calls for 6 small meals a day with a 50/50 carb/protein split.  I'm not sure if going back to glycemic load foods like bread, potatoes, and pasta is a good idea.  I'm feeling more tired than before despite the program's claims that I'd have more energy.  I'm also taking a lot of supplements on this program.  I think all it's done so far is make my urine more expensive.  I'm also getting the beginnings of some gout twinges in the right foot.  Hope it doesn't blow up into a full attack.  Gout sucks!

Gusington

Keunert. I also have two small kids. I work out in my study where the exercise machine is or hike up and down the mountain I live on. I do it when the kids are in bed when I am watching them alone (in my study) or while The Wife is watching them.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 21, 2012, 01:38:01 PM
I finished my first week on the Body-For-Life program.  I'm not sure about it.  The change in workout routine was hard for the first couple of days and my muscles adjusted.   I'm used to working just 2 body parts per day, but doing 3-5 different excercises with heavy weights for each zone.  The BFL program alternates between upper body one day, then cardio the next, and then lower body the third day.  You do one exercise for each body part with increasing weights and very short breaks between sets.  It took a bit to dial into what the program is asking of you but now that I am, I'm finding that I'm not feeling that I'm keeping pace with my old workout.

Diet has been another adjustment.  This calls for 6 small meals a day with a 50/50 carb/protein split.  I'm not sure if going back to glycemic load foods like bread, potatoes, and pasta is a good idea.  I'm feeling more tired than before despite the program's claims that I'd have more energy.  I'm also taking a lot of supplements on this program.  I think all it's done so far is make my urine more expensive.  I'm also getting the beginnings of some gout twinges in the right foot.  Hope it doesn't blow up into a full attack.  Gout sucks!

Well I think it's great that you are putting in the effort.  I'm sure in time it will pay off and I bet its other people who notice the change before you do.

TheCommandTent

The wife and I went out looking at elliptical tonight.  This is going to hurt the wallet when we decide on one.  We thought we wanted one with the fly wheel in the back, because we read this was better for you.  However, some of the ones we tried with the fly wheel in the front felt more comfortable so now we don't know what to do.  The wife wants one ASAP and I want to make sure we make the best choice for our dollar, as well as be sure we'll actually use it.

Bison

I've been running on some nice paths around a couple of small lakes.  Nice shaded path with a few hills on the route to give a nice little kick to the cardo workout.  Also been doing some full body weights exercises, which is good but I really want to add in some more crossfit or TRX style workouts.  Weights are nice, but I get bored with them after awhile.  Nothing is better than pull ups and dips.