Fallujah completely liberated from IS

Started by Boggit, June 27, 2016, 12:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boggit

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bayonetbrant

We've liberated Fallujah about 8 times now since 2003.  At this point, I'm fine if we just level the f'n' place and not have to liberate it anymore.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 27, 2016, 12:19:46 PM
We've liberated Fallujah about 8 times now since 2003.  At this point, I'm fine if we just level the f'n' place and not have to liberate it anymore.

On the other hand, this time it was actually the Iraqis who did the liberating (with our heavy support in air, intel, etc.).

ComradeP

As if civilians in Iraq could not just be civilians but have to be either with (pro-)NATO forces or against them. That attitude has really hardened.

Based on past experience, it will probably take time before the city can be inhabited in a normal fashion again, as IS likes to leave boobytraps all over the place.

QuoteEven more strangely...
http://www.japantoday.com/category/arts-culture/view/how-japanese-soldiers-helped-the-british-in-1944-java-conflict

The Japanese had actively encouraged anti-Dutch propaganda throughout the occupation of the DEI, and many insurgents could use Japanese weapons and sometimes even Japanese instructors during their fight with the Dutch.

A "relatively peaceful" occupation still meant the Dutch were locked away in camps. Not the POW forced labour camps on the Asiatic continent, but still camps. They remained there after the surrender of the Japanese, for their own safety as Dutch troops could not get to the DEI in strength until 1946.

I wonder how "full of praise" the Dutch citizens truly were. Although the situation in that area might not have been so bad that they hated the Japanese, being confined to camps wasn't pleasant.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Boggit

Quote from: ComradeP on June 27, 2016, 01:37:02 PM
As if civilians in Iraq could not just be civilians but have to be either with (pro-)NATO forces or against them. That attitude has really hardened.

Based on past experience, it will probably take time before the city can be inhabited in a normal fashion again, as IS likes to leave boobytraps all over the place.

QuoteEven more strangely...
http://www.japantoday.com/category/arts-culture/view/how-japanese-soldiers-helped-the-british-in-1944-java-conflict

The Japanese had actively encouraged anti-Dutch propaganda throughout the occupation of the DEI, and many insurgents could use Japanese weapons and sometimes even Japanese instructors during their fight with the Dutch.

A "relatively peaceful" occupation still meant the Dutch were locked away in camps. Not the POW forced labour camps on the Asiatic continent, but still camps. They remained there after the surrender of the Japanese, for their own safety as Dutch troops could not get to the DEI in strength until 1946.

I wonder how "full of praise" the Dutch citizens truly were. Although the situation in that area might not have been so bad that they hated the Japanese, being confined to camps wasn't pleasant.
I agree with all you say.

I just put the link in to show the irony that when hostilities were supposed to have ended in the area, even currently active enemies - the British and Japanese, closed ranks to face off Sukarno as fighting was continuing in "peaceful" area.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on June 27, 2016, 01:28:43 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 27, 2016, 12:19:46 PM

On the other hand, this time it was actually the Iraqis who did the liberating (with our heavy support in air, intel, etc.).

they supposedly did it the first time, before the contractors were strung up outside of town on the overpass.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Airborne Rifles

Very different context this time around. Then we were trying to pacify Iraq. Now the Iraqi's are in effect fighting a proxy war for us.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on June 27, 2016, 03:04:08 PM
Very different context this time around. Then we were trying to pacify Iraq. Now the Iraqi's are in effect fighting a proxy war for us.

that's a fair difference

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on June 27, 2016, 03:04:08 PM

about fucking time.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

And this time they didn't run away after throwing our kit on the ground for ISIS to pick up and use! Progress!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Airborne Rifles

ISIS fighters decided to try to flee Falujah in a big fat juicy convoy. Results were...predictable:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/30/middleeast/iraq-militants-airstrike/index.html

Sir Slash

Three hundred times 72 equals a lot of Virgins.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Some of them may have to shift gender roles for priority cases...  :knuppel2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 02, 2016, 10:11:56 AM
Some of them may have to shift gender roles for priority cases...  :knuppel2:

Or even species of mammal...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MikeGER

... if you have to spend a whole eternity in a promised paradise, only 72 virgins is a very bad deal anyway. ...stupid Muslims O0