Borderlands 2: Reviews and Impressions

Started by FrontierCybrarian, September 20, 2012, 03:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrontierCybrarian

Arctic Blast, Holy ClapTrap, you are really SMOKIN! Very much appreciate the advice on Bunker & Treasure missions. I definitely need better weapons.

Due to a short power outage right when my game was saving it knocked out my Level 11 and started me all over at the beginning. Tried to find and restore the saved game but couldn't find it anywhere. But it doesn't matter now as I started over and I'm at Level 12.

You've played for quite a few hours now and if it still carries fun for you then there must be enough variety in settings, missions, enemies, weapons to keep you satisfied. It doesn't sound like you are getting bored.

Keep us informed of your continued progress and warn us of impending danger if we aren't prepared. You are the #1 VAULT HUNTER so don't let us down.
Task without Vision is Drudgery
Vision without Task is Dreaming
But Task with Vision is Destiny.

The Church News, January 4, 1958

Arctic Blast

Quote from: FrontierCybrarian on October 03, 2012, 12:34:58 AM
Arctic Blast, Holy ClapTrap, you are really SMOKIN! Very much appreciate the advice on Bunker & Treasure missions. I definitely need better weapons.

Those will definitely come as you play. I found that just as things started to feel a bit stagnant weapons wise, I'd take a mission letting me in to a new area. Weapons get a lot better, but so do the things you're shooting them at.

Due to a short power outage right when my game was saving it knocked out my Level 11 and started me all over at the beginning. Tried to find and restore the saved game but couldn't find it anywhere. But it doesn't matter now as I started over and I'm at Level 12.p

Ack! That sucks. Well, at least you weren't TOO far in yet.

You've played for quite a few hours now and if it still carries fun for you then there must be enough variety in settings, missions, enemies, weapons to keep you satisfied. It doesn't sound like you are getting bored.

According to Steam, I'm at 40 hours of play time. The fact that number surprises me should be an indication that I'm enjoying it.  ;D

I think I spent about 70 hours on the original, but that also involved a partial second play through and going through 2 of the DLC expansions. So it definitely seems like this game has a lot more stuff to do. Of course, I am also doing most of the side missions, so that adds substantially to the length.

FrontierCybrarian

Arctic Blast, your exciting gameplay really gives me hope for the ultimate sniper rifle. I just got a 192 damage one and it definitely is an improvement...but pray tell, you have a 1500 plus damage one. Holy Female Bovine, I imagine you are blowing stuff to tiny bits...and with only one or a few shots. Waiting for my turn with that.

I'm losing good weapons in an unknown way. I can't remember selling, swapping, or dropping them. They seem to just disappear from my "equipped" or inventory list. I thoroughly backtrack to determine if I accidently hit the "Q" drop button during heated battle but have never found the great weapon again. I hope it's not a Borderlands 2 software glitch. But, with so many weapons I'll just play on and hopefully find an adequate replacement soon.

Be sure to get enough nourishment and sleep....so you'll have ample energy, alertness, and sharpness to carry on VAULT HUNTER.
Of course it is the weekend.

Bison

I've been guilty of accidently selling a weapon or something and only realize later on when I want that specific elemental damage weapon.  It's easy to do with limited backpack space.

FrontierCybrarian

Bison you're probably right in the way I'm losing weapons. The weapons look quite different in hand (back view) than  shown with side view in the inventory/backpack/equipped lists. Thus one selling the odd looking thing when in reality it should have remained with you.

By the way, did you know that a Bison is related to the bovine family. So when someone says Holy Cow it could mean oxen, cattle, buffalos, etc.. Are you offended by many taking your name in vain and maybe in a "swearing" type way? Just wondering about this significant occurrence.

Bison

Doesn't bother me in the least.

If I find I like a weapon, I just make sure to mark it with the star.  Conversely if I don't like a weapon, I red x mark it.  Makes selling and bank storing easy.

FrontierCybrarian

Bison, thanks for the idea of marking inventory items. I had no idea that could be done. Here I have the large strategy guide and didn't even pick up on that helpful function. Maybe it was dialogued somewhere during gameplay. Missed it.

That's why we have gaming forums so tid-bits for improved play can be shared. Appreciate it.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: FrontierCybrarian on October 05, 2012, 12:32:14 PM
Arctic Blast, your exciting gameplay really gives me hope for the ultimate sniper rifle. I just got a 192 damage one and it definitely is an improvement...but pray tell, you have a 1500 plus damage one. Holy Female Bovine, I imagine you are blowing stuff to tiny bits...and with only one or a few shots. Waiting for my turn with that.

I'm losing good weapons in an unknown way. I can't remember selling, swapping, or dropping them. They seem to just disappear from my "equipped" or inventory list. I thoroughly backtrack to determine if I accidently hit the "Q" drop button during heated battle but have never found the great weapon again. I hope it's not a Borderlands 2 software glitch. But, with so many weapons I'll just play on and hopefully find an adequate replacement soon.

Be sure to get enough nourishment and sleep....so you'll have ample energy, alertness, and sharpness to carry on VAULT HUNTER.
Of course it is the weekend.

Well, most of the enemies I'm encountering now are wearing shields now. But 2 head shots still completely puts them down. With other things, Spiderants for example, you just have to maneuver/wait for the right kind of shot and take them out quick.

And definitely don't ignore elemental effect damage on weapons, unless it's powerful enough to do big hits without. For example, that sniper rifle has no other effect beyond the main damage stat, but it does enough of that per shot that it's worth it.

One other thing that I've noticed that I don't remember happening in the first game is possessing a massive pile of money. I've been over $140,000 several times now, which makes it a lot easier to spend big for a significant gun or grenade mod upgrade.

Bison

Not sure what's happening but I've gotten two blue screens during Borderlands 2 play sessions over the last day.  Its involving my gpu, so its its a hardware issue on my side.  Just not sure why.  I've got around 30 hours of play in before I started to get the system shutdowns.  The odd part of it being a gpu issue is that it only happens with BL2, so there is something happening between the game and the gpu.  Just not sure what it is.

FrontierCybrarian

Arctic Blast, you are so far ahead of me and likely most Groghead readers in BL2 that it isn't fair. Cough up some of the money NOW and give me good weapons PRONTO. But.........I won't be able to force you into it because you've got me out-gunned, skilled, badassed. Please forgive my request BOSS. I have sinned.

I need to play much more to get the money and weapons you speak of. I'm not much into the elemental weapons so far as they're weak. The key to success is matching the weapon to the enemy and circumstance. A slow loading sniper rifle is no match for hoardes of rushing enemies...better a fast hand or machinegun. Keep up the good work.

Bison, that's not good at all about the computer crashes with BL2. Post your computer specs and maybe a reader can spot or suggest something. I purchased the box version so I will have the recommended and suggested game specs in front of me incase you are lacking, about average, or have ample horsepower.

If you resolve the situation let us know that, too. Could be helpful to someone else. How long (hours, minutes) did you play when the crashes happened?

I have an allergy or sinus cold & have to rest for awhile but will get back to this thread when I can.

Arctic Blast

FrontierCybrarian : Well, I'm always down for a bit of multi play if you see me playing (that goes for anyone else, too). Steam name is arcticblaster76. The only thing is, I'm not sure how it would set the levels for the bad guys...if that's based on the level of my guy and you hop in, that could end up being pretty nasty for you if you're too far back.

My favorite tactic is now to sow chaos amongst the villains. If you see one of those Nomads with a Midget Bandit strapped to a shield, shoot the ropes off and free the little guy. He tends to be a bit angry at the Nomad. Then blast the masks off of a couple of Goliaths and set them loose against everyone around them, including each other. Only, be careful about letting them level too much before you have to fight them...they get NASTY.

Bison : That sucks, dude. Hopefully it doesn't become a persistent problem. I had to shelve Arkham City awhile back because it kept persistently crashing and I couldn't advance any further.  :(

Bison

The level difference effects some of the xp.  However you can certainly do it, especially helpful to push through a tough zone and increase the quality of loot drops.  You guys can throw me an invite too if you see me online.

FrontierCybrarian

Arctic Blast and Bison, finally had time getting to this thread. Thanks for the multiplay invite...I'm mainly a single play guy. But if you guys hook up let me know how the experience plays out.

Bison, hope your computer crashes are few and far between now.

AC, good advice on how to get enemies fighting with each other while you observe and pick your time to battle...and with whom.

Bayonet_Chris

One thing to keep in mind about weapons - if you follow Randy Pitchford on twitter (@duvalmagic), he'll drop SHIFT codes on his twitter feed pretty often. You can input those and they'll give you keys to unlock the strongbox in the middle of Sanctuary near the portal. Things in that box are usually ultrarare. The weapons I've collected from there are quite special.

I'm on the Xbox version, but I've got a level 29 Siren and a handful of other characters at varying levels (Mechomancer around 20, Zero around 12...)

The bunker battle was fun, although I had an easier time with it because of one of the weapons I picked up from a side mission (from Marcus, about a "cursed weapon"). It may vary, but the version I got was called Analytical Bane. It did a horrific amount (SMG doing 250+ acid damage per bullet with a ROF between 25-35) of acid damage (good against loaders and any other armored foe), but it made you slow and the gun talks with a high-pitched, annoying voice. It also screams when you fire. It's a trade-off, but a funny one.

The weapons and equipment I've picked up from the SHIFT strong box are pretty nice. My current primary weapon is a SMG that 325 slag damage per bullet. It's gross.

Anyway, like I said in the other thread - if anyone is playing on Xbox, my live account is jccaran.

Pete Dero

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190403005093/en/Mayhem-Coming-September-13-2019-Worldwide-Launch/

Mayhem is Coming September 13, 2019 with Worldwide Launch of BorderlandsĀ® 3

At launch on September 13, Borderlands 3 will be available for PC exclusively through the Epic Games store. Borderlands 3 will be available on additional PC digital storefronts in April 2020.

To celebrate the announcement of Borderlands 3, the Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition launches today on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Windows PC. Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition is the brand new definitive version of the original game, boasting ultra HD remastered graphics, significant quality-of-life content updates, and all add-on content included. For more information, please click here.

Additionally, Gearbox and 2K also released an Ultra HD Texture Pack that increases the visual fidelity of Borderlands: The Handsome Collection on consoles, and provides a visual upgrade for Borderlands 2, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, and all the game add-ons for both titles on PC.