Main Menu

We The Revolution

Started by Ian C, March 21, 2019, 11:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moreb

Quote from: Gusington on March 24, 2019, 12:40:03 PM
*smirks*

You seem like such a nice guy. We should have a beer or two before your trip to the gallows.

I'm looking for the finger slash across the throat emoji.
When dongles fly? - mirth

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

The_Admiral

Quote from: Moreb on March 24, 2019, 10:04:55 AM

As a note. While America won it's independence and gave it's citizens the power and unprecedented Freedom, France brought about a Reign of Terror. Makes me wonder how many today would welcome in the latter given the chance.

The way you're writing it, it feels like France is still living under the Terror  :o  C:-)
Well, I am not sure if drawing this parallel here is completely relevant (I mean, between both revolutions). Besides the fact that Terror was just a relative short era (on its way to the non-less shocking episodes of the Empire and the Restauration as follow-ups to a supposedly landmark revolution, I concede ^^ ), we can't really compare both considering the great differences in terms of setting. The Terror was closely related to the overwhelming weight of being under siege (be it a reality and a political and popular fantasy combined), considering France was pretty much at war with every other nation on the continent at that time, and left without much hope other than the one it would create for itself (or by extension the one Buonaparte and others would eventually generate).

As a Frenchman myself, I bought this experimental UFO and I am looking forward this interesting foray in my historical and national conscience. The fact it is coming from outside my borders and certainly fills a big gap that nobody here in France ever thought or felt ready to tackle, makes it look only all the more intriguing indeed. :)

Moreb

Quote from: The_Admiral on March 24, 2019, 09:21:41 PM
Quote from: Moreb on March 24, 2019, 10:04:55 AM

As a note. While America won it's independence and gave it's citizens the power and unprecedented Freedom, France brought about a Reign of Terror. Makes me wonder how many today would welcome in the latter given the chance.

The way you're writing it, it feels like France is still living under the Terror  :o  C:-)
Well, I am not sure if drawing this parallel here is completely relevant (I mean, between both revolutions). Besides the fact that Terror was just a relative short era (on its way to the non-less shocking episodes of the Empire and the Restauration as follow-ups to a supposedly landmark revolution, I concede ^^ ), we can't really compare both considering the great differences in terms of setting. The Terror was closely related to the overwhelming weight of being under siege (be it a reality and a political and popular fantasy combined), considering France was pretty much at war with every other nation on the continent at that time, and left without much hope other than the one it would create for itself (or by extension the one Buonaparte and others would eventually generate).

As a Frenchman myself, I bought this experimental UFO and I am looking forward this interesting foray in my historical and national conscience. The fact it is coming from outside my borders and certainly fills a big gap that nobody here in France ever thought or felt ready to tackle, makes it look only all the more intriguing indeed. :)

I was speaking of my fellow American Citizens today and the divide in our country currently.  And my comment about unprecedented freedom was in relation to citizens. Clearly everyone in America was not afforded the same. The sins of our Fathers.

And what happens after a revolution intrigues me.  Especially a G. Washington or Cincinnatus type story.
When dongles fly? - mirth