You guys aren't going to believe this...on GOG.com

Started by CJReich46, March 07, 2019, 10:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, I'm not holding out much hope for Diablo 2 on GoG -- that would depend on whether Battle.net is still running multiplayer for D2, I suppose?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

CJReich46

Quote from: Gusington on March 28, 2019, 05:20:01 PM
Never played those either.

I think I played Warcraft II on Play Station. It wasn't bad. By then I played Age of Empires Gold a bit, and was active on Age of Empires Heaven in the design forums.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

MetalDog

I played Warcraft.  Not to completion, but, it introduced me to the wonderful world of clicking madly.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Rayfer

Quote from: MetalDog on March 28, 2019, 09:41:07 PM
I played Warcraft.  Not to completion, but, it introduced me to the wonderful world of clicking madly.

The original Warcraft forever cemented my disdain for RTS click-fests.  :-\

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Rayfer on March 29, 2019, 06:14:21 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on March 28, 2019, 09:41:07 PM

The original Warcraft forever cemented my disdain for RTS click-fests.  :-\

Amen.  That, and convincing me that computer opponents were cheating bastards ("...so how in the hell do you have this many units when I'm not even done mining my first piece of ore/gold/whatever?  Screw this.").

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on March 29, 2019, 08:06:21 AM
Diablo II on GoG would be neat.

Would be great, but I have a feeling Blizzard will continue selling that one themselves.

Judging by the trend of other publishers only releasing earlier versions of great games on GOG, ones which were basically given a big upgrade in their resulting & more popular sequel(s), I don't expect to see Diablo 2 on there anytime soon.  Games such as Starfleet Command and Starfleet Academy had much better,and more expanded sequels with the same gameplay.  Yet those weren't released on GOG.  Gonna be waiting for quite awhile, until the publisher decides the original was milked enough.  If ever.  Given D2's massive popularity in the past, I expect Blizzard to just keep selling it from their own store.

Rayfer

Quote from: Nefaro on May 07, 2019, 10:02:46 AM
Quote from: Gusington on March 29, 2019, 08:06:21 AM
Diablo II on GoG would be neat.

Would be great, but I have a feeling Blizzard will continue selling that one themselves.

Judging by the trend of other publishers only releasing earlier versions of great games on GOG, ones which were basically given a big upgrade in their resulting & more popular sequel(s), I don't expect to see Diablo 2 on there anytime soon.  Games such as Starfleet Command and Starfleet Academy had much better,and more expanded sequels with the same gameplay.  Yet those weren't released on GOG.  Gonna be waiting for quite awhile, until the publisher decides the original was milked enough.  If ever.  Given D2's massive popularity in the past, I expect Blizzard to just keep selling it from their own store.

Just curious...was Diablo 3 as popular/successful as 2...?  I played the original, beat it twice, played 2 quite a lot but could never beat it so I didn't bother with 3.

Huw the Poo

D3 will never be adored like D2 was, but given the wide gap between the releases and how much bigger the market became in the interim (not least because of the multiplatform release of D3), I imagine D3 probably has the higher sales numbers.

JasonPratt

Seeing as how they did release the battlenet version of Warcraft 2, I wouldn't be too surprised if they release D2 eventually on GoG. But they'll wait to milk nostalgia sales of D1 first.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

smittyohio

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 07, 2019, 12:02:36 PM
D3 will never be adored like D2 was, but given the wide gap between the releases and how much bigger the market became in the interim (not least because of the multiplatform release of D3), I imagine D3 probably has the higher sales numbers.

D3 was tons of fun, but only after a few years of additional design / development and ripping out the real money AH.