JTS' "The Seven Years War" -- RELEASED

Started by Cyrano, August 23, 2018, 11:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 23, 2018, 05:25:39 PM
Read somewhere that no 3D units/terrain in this version, is that true?  Not sure that's a deal breaker or maybe these lines of games removed them along time ago?

Always want to try these again, but the amount of units you control ultimately tires me out:(

Lots of units...but not as many as in many games -- and what units!  Where else are you likely to see Prince Moritz of Anhalt-Dessau , the Wild Child Genius of the Enlightenment? It's true you can't see him in 3D, but then, maybe that's a good thing.  Oh and I see he died of the wounds (after two years) he received at Hochkirk (sad but true).

mikeck

Edit
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

southern_cross_116

Quote from: mikeck on August 23, 2018, 03:13:55 PM
Dammit.
I never buy Tiller games because - although I'm not a graphics whore- they are sooooo hard to look at. But this one looks....decent! Not like a YouTube video of someone's IBM from 1991.
I'm in

Is there a game manual
Included in purchase for download? Or is it one of those that is in the game files?

User Manual upload:   http://hist-sdc.com/images/spotlights/mp_manuals/mpuser.pdf    I guess there are a few spoilers in there about some upcoming stuff about the Renaissance.
RW/LW
Bravehearts Hockey Club

Graphics Coordinator, Artist, etc... for JTS
Owner/Webmaster:
Scenario Design Center (hist-sdc.com)

southern_cross_116

Quote from: stolypin on August 23, 2018, 01:42:26 PM
I know that graphics aren't the selling point for any Tiller title but those screenshots look gorgeous (much like the recently updated ACW titles). 

I wish they would do similar updates for the Napoleonic titles.

You can get something pretty close to what is used in Seven Years War right now if you like; I know I got them to Doug who I assume got them to Jim ... 

I've been a little too busy to fully develop a full blown webpage/download area for them.  There are some differences, as in SYW there are a few graphics that by agreement with a specific artist can only be used in SYW.    I'll see if I can dig out the link (or maybe Doug will bail me out and list it --- it should still be valid). 

This material is entirely distinct from anything used in the Civil War Battles series -and also largely due to a lot of free time I had unexpectedly gotten when I was recovering from a fairly serious injury that I got playing hockey. 

Not sure I am going to be doing EAW or NB, but I will put something together. I think someone else there will be doing it.

3D: - it is true, it isn't in there for this one - however I think if you find the relevant file names and add those in as what you find in Napoleonic Battles series (pretty sure they are the exact same file names) - you probably can mod it.  In fact, I suppose someone with a talent for cut/copy/paste might find that there are some usable graphics from something like say the old Talonsoft Campaign series that you can add in there and get a good effect.  It isn't something that I can do I don't think (ok I -can- do it, to be clear, but because of where I work for, and what they do with what I put out ... that being add it to titles for sale ... I don't think it would be the greatest idea for me to touch this.  Probably in a similar way to I could probably come up with a pretty good sound track for the Vietnam games by going through my MP3s ... but probably not the best idea considering they're all going to be copyrighted, too. :) )

SDC has a webpage up for SYW - and you can also get a closer look at a map that is basically what the series will look like going forward (barring some tweaks that I want to do down the track, when I can fit them in).

http://hist-sdc.com/spotlights/mp_syw.htm

http://hist-sdc.com/images/spotlights/mp_syw/kolin_am_sdc_mod.bmp
RW/LW
Bravehearts Hockey Club

Owner/Webmaster:

MengJiao

Quote from: southern_cross_116 on August 24, 2018, 05:29:47 AM
Quote from: mikeck on August 23, 2018, 03:13:55 PM
Dammit.
I never buy Tiller games because - although I'm not a graphics whore- they are sooooo hard to look at. But this one looks....decent! Not like a YouTube video of someone's IBM from 1991.
I'm in

Is there a game manual
Included in purchase for download? Or is it one of those that is in the game files?

I've looked over the whole set of sites you have linked.  This is the best coverage of the Seven-Year's War in any medium.  The maps for Leuthen and Prague and Lobzitz (for example) are the best I've seen anywhere.  Truly awesome work!

User Manual upload:   http://hist-sdc.com/images/spotlights/mp_manuals/mpuser.pdf    I guess there are a few spoilers in there about some upcoming stuff about the Renaissance.

southern_cross_116

You know it was really great listening to Doug and Jim on the Grogcasts earlier this year because frankly they put a hell of a lot of work in to this one, and it sorta sounded like they were just dying to talk about it. 

The next title will have even more coverage (mainly because I am doing a lot more on it - not just graphics-wise) -but they got me on to a different title in another series and it doesn't really have a lot to do with art work - -who knows, maybe I can get a file in or so...

You're right about REN - I was using that to create some templates to use and at the time SYW was still using the older style maps without the newer features (slopes, stuff like that) -things that could be used down the track.   I need to get a few more links up to speed I think -I sort of had to put it together fairly quickly.
RW/LW
Bravehearts Hockey Club

Owner/Webmaster:

mikeck

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 24, 2018, 08:31:10 AM
Yes!

Hochkirk, 4am in a dense fog, the Austrians are attacking pretty much from the rear (which is covered only by a 4th-rate Freikorps sort of).  Prince Moritz gets up and rides down the road to join the infantry under his command:

Snapper

Is the Pomeranian War included? If not will it be later on?

GaryMc

Hms, another place for me to post about wargames  ;D

Anyway, as to the Pomerianian battles, as well as some of the other "missing" stuff, hopefully they will see the light of day later on. 

Cyrano

@Gary:  Well, howdy, hey!  Welcome aboard.

We will take ALL the wargames hereabouts.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

MengJiao

Quote from: Snapper on August 24, 2018, 02:04:24 PM
Is the Pomeranian War included? If not will it be later on?

I haven't seen the Swedes in any of the scenarios.  The Legion Britannique (an antifrench organization despite its nomenclature) is there as the lowest infantry in the game facing the Chasseurs (who are just as low, but hiding in some houses on lower ground).

On a side note, i was Checking up on Christopher Duffy and looking at his books on Google when I noticed that Google has noted that The Military Life of Frederick the Great "...describes the life of the Russian Czar..." which would have been a surprise at the time though I guess the insane Prussian-o-phile Paul (the not-so-great) qualifies somehow.  at least he was a Russian Czar.  If insane.  And eager to let Frederick (the Great, but not a Russian Czar) off the hook for the Seven-years War.

mikeck

Never played a Tiller game....is there a good active forum for this ha e?

Skoop

I'd love to see a tiller game with field of glory2 graphics.  In this day and age we can have both.

southern_cross_116

True, but the guys brought in need to actually produce graphics - it wasn't the intent not to have 3d. I have a few left over from when I had Joe Amoral working on them ... I really need to dig them out; I mean it still is what it is, but I think it was far better than what has been in other products. 

I will try to see if I can find some that I was playing around and post them. I think I got them on the site's FB page - but I don't expect anyone to hunt for them ... so maybe in a little while. Got some Saturday day time things I need to get done around the house.
RW/LW
Bravehearts Hockey Club

Owner/Webmaster: