Need help - New Router

Started by jamus34, January 04, 2018, 11:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamus34

Hello Grog's - I'm reaching a point that I need a new router as my old Netgear is starting to drop Wifi at times.

Wanted to see who is using what as most online reviews I read are your typical "works great until it doesn't"

I'm thinking of getting the Netgear Orbi setup since my router base is in the basement and I get poor WiFi on the 2nd floor but I'm relatively open to options.
Insert witty comment here.

mirth

I think I need a new router too. Haven't really researched them yet though. Be interested to see what others suggest.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

DoctorQuest

I have a Netgear wnr2000v3 that I am very happy with. It is maybe two years old now. I don't have a huge house and the router location allows for good wireless access everywhere (including my deck). I have never seen the need for any sort of extender equipment myself. I have my downstairs office equipment hardwired via a hub hooked to the router. This is not so much due to wireless issues as much as I just like having bandwidth and a solid connection for work.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

jamus34

Ended up grabbing the ASUS RT-AC3100 from best buy with the 15% turn-in discount from recycling my old router.

So far I like it, WiFi seems better than the old one and the user interface is far and away much better.
Insert witty comment here.