An Idiots Guide To Losing Your CV's Before 1942: WiTP:AE KyzBP vs UCG

Started by KyzBP, June 22, 2015, 04:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyzBP

February 14th, 1942

Happy Valentine's Day.

Another very quiet day.  This time there wasn't even any real losses.

We went on the offensive in China.

We didn't do so well this time.  Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Here's the Lark Bn being dropped off at Buna, right under the noses of Geek's preoccupied troops.

I'll keep shuttling troops as long as I can.  He'll figure it out soon.

I know I should be concentrating all my efforts at stopping his ground forces at Townsville.

But he has 27 ships in port.  If I can get some bombers through his CAP I might be able to do some damage to his ships
just milling around there.  There may even be some high value targets at anchor.  I think it's worth a shot while I still own an airfield
in the area.

We're inching closer to AM.

I expect some type of reaction by Geek next turn.  If that small CV group is still in the area, they make their presence known shortly.

There wasn't anything else other than the usual stuff.

KyzBP

February 15th, 1942

The airwar over Moulmein had reached a level of boring stalemate, so I decided to shake things up.

I didn't expect these kind of results.  The DD bombardment effectively neutralized Moulmein as an airbase.  This should
give me temporary air superiority over the area.  I'm sure Geek will have an answer for this though.

The bombing of the Port of Townsville was far less successful.

I was hoping to hit something bigger.  He's got about 50 Zeroes running CAP over the place.  There's really no point in
continuing the air attacks here.  We will lose Charters Tower.  It's just a matter of time.

I thought his large CV force was headed NW and out of the area.

Wrong again!  All the convoys that were released from Johnston Is. are now headed back there at full speed.  I think I have a hole
in my search coverage in this area.  This is the second time this has happened.  Very soon though, those carriers will be steaming out of the area.

Surprisingly, Alor Star continues to hold.

I'm not sure why these guys are still fighting but God bless 'em.  There will be Unit Awards passed out to everyone here...that survives.

The AP's sent from Australia have the West Coast in sight.

This is one of three groups of AP's that are about to arrive.  They'll pick up American reinforcements and begin steaming back to Oz.
I don't know if they'll get there in time but the will at least make it to New Zealand provided AM draws his CVs out of the area.

The Minesweepers leading AM should arrive on target tomorrow followed by a bombardment and then the troop landings.  Cross your
fingers because the mythical AM is about to become a reality...and I'm very nervous.

KyzBP

February 16th, 1942

The pace of this war is about to pick up steam.

A couple of my subs bounce some fish off the sides of Geeks boats.

A lot of boats!  I doubt my early strategy of going after his transports was ever realistic.  He has tons of them.  If you
kill one, two more respawn.

I decided to bombard Moulmein again.

This time the Oscars seemed to have disappeared.  I think it's time to leave before we draw the attention of Geek's angry
navy.

No plan survives first contact.

No troops were supposed to land until tomorrow.  However,...

Not only did troops start landing (and dying) already, but they're landing out of order.  Ketoi wasn't supposed to get troops
for another 2 days, after it was cleared and bombarded.  Luckily it looks like the island is empty.  It also looks like the landings
will be costly.  These Canadian Rangers already lost about 25% of it's strength and they're not even all off the boats yet. :-\
I would say the cat's out of the bag now.  I'm very interested to see Geek's response and probably won't have to wait too long.

Here's the current situation at AM:

It doesn't look like the islands are occupied so I'm not going to bombard them.  I'll keep the BB's tucked away in case a surface
engagement looks eminent.  I have about 120 fighters flying CAP right now and a squadron of dive bombers standing by should
his small CV force show up.  Now I just need to get the troops off the ships, in one piece, and get everyone out of there.

Btw, Alor Star finally fell. :(

besilarius

Whether Arctic Monkey is a resounding success or not, you landed on Japan!
Brilliant work.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Staggerwing

Finally! We've been waiting on tenterhooks for weeks and weeks to see Arctic Monkey hit the beaches!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

KyzBP

Quote from: besilarius on January 03, 2016, 07:29:00 PM
Whether Arctic Monkey is a resounding success or not, you landed on Japan!
Brilliant work.
Thanks! I can't tell you how many times I almost pulled the plug on this operation.  I get the feeling though, that I'm going to wish I did.

I hope this ends up being worth the wait.

jomni

Now you can boast to all WITP players that you have landed in Japan in 1942!!!

KyzBP

Quote from: jomni on January 04, 2016, 12:54:06 AM
Now you can boast to all WITP players that you have landed in Japan in 1942!!!
Lol.  The Landing may have been the easy part.  The Holding will be the part worth boasting.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

So, Tojo, you landed in Oz, did you? TAKE THAT!  ;D

Doolittle would be peeing his pants at this triumph.

(Although strictly speaking, Geek did successfully invade the US first.  ::) )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

jomni

Geek finally posed in his thread.  AM was just an insect bite.  Nothing to be worried about.

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

KyzBP

AM's purpose was to occupy his CV's for awhile so I could get some troops and aircraft through the Central/South Pacific.  I have 2 day's worth of AAR's to update.  On the surface, without giving any spoilers, it appears to be working.

Thanks again to all of you for following and participating in this AAR.  O0

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

KyzBP

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 05, 2016, 07:28:40 PM
Couldn't quit now if I was being held at gunpoint.

Thanks Slash!  I'm glad Geek and I have been able to keep this interesting.