An Idiots Guide To Losing Your CV's Before 1942: WiTP:AE KyzBP vs UCG

Started by KyzBP, June 22, 2015, 04:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyzBP

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on December 13, 2015, 01:38:48 PM
Looking forward to AM  O0

Don't look too forward to it, Airborne, things are about to get really sticky.

Thanks for following.  ;)

KyzBP

February 8th, 1942

Not a ton of action but there could be a Turning Point coming up in the next couple of days.  More on that later.

One of our subs again foregoes the torpedoes and goes straight to guns.

A pretty ballsy move considering the action took place just outside of Port Moresby.  The subs there have been
pretty successful but I think he'll up the ASW effort there so I'm moving the subs to the coast of Australia.  There seems
to be an overabundance of targets around there. :(

Geek lands more troops in OZ.

I'm sure you've noticed the number of Australian towns that now belong to Geek.  Townsville will be a tough nut for him and
should grind down his advance for a bit.  I'm still waiting on all these Aussie troops that I'm supposed to get but so far nothing
appears to have triggered.  The Northern Coast isn't faring much better with only Darwin left.

I did effectively bombard his troops as they prepared for the attack.

I need to keep him from attacking for a few more turns.  I have some armor on the way and they may help.

In the skies above Moulmein there were multiple battles for air superiority.

This was the first one.  Although we had fewer aircraft, we were able to go one for one with Geek in kills.  The other battles leaned
a bit more in our favor and when the Hurricane II's arrived they gave us an edge.  I'm standing everyone down for a day to get my
numbers back up.  If he keeps his CAP near 100% while I rest and repair I should be able to take control of the air here in the next
couple of days.

And now for the turning point I was mentioning:

Carrier based planes attacked a couple of my BB's that were marshaling south of Attu for AM.  (Sorry no screen shot.  I accidentally clicked passed it.)
At first I was in a panic.  There are a lot of ships moving to the final staging area for AM.  That staging area is well within range of these guys:

This is the small CV force of Geeks.  It's the one that I thought was headed to the Indian Ocean to take care of the Brit carriers there.  I last saw
them headed west from Baker Island.  This is also the carrier force that had it's bombers slaughtered over Canton.  Rather than run from these guys
I've decided to make Attu the new "Midway".  I'm pulling all of the AM TF's south and hopefully out of harms way.  The BB/CA bombardment group is
going to move straight east to meet up with my 2 CV's and begin hunting his carriers.  If you recall, my CV's contain over 100 fighters and 2 squadrons of
bombers.  The key will be to trap him in the Bering Sea.  Once I take down his fighters I should be able to destroy his carriers with my bombers,
BB's and CA's.  I don't think he expects me to have carriers here so this has a great chance of succeeding if he lingers here just one extra turn.

I'll have to wait and see how his main CV force reacts before sending AM forward.  I can't take that force on head-to-head yet.  In a month the Wasp
(or Hornet.  I can't remember which right now) will arrive.  I can then begin offensive operations in the South Pacific provided Australia is still there and
the game hasn't gone to Auto Victory for Geek.

Speaking of Midway, I received another Intel Report of a division of infantry headed towards Midway.  My 2 bomber laden CV's are standing by to the East,
waiting for a sighting report of the transports.  Unless Geek is going to move one of his carrier TF's in that direction, I should be able to send these ships
to the bottom as well. 

Even though I'm clearly getting my butt handed to me, I feel the war just may turn here shortly. If it wasn't for Australia I'd be down right confident that we
could win this in an abbreviated fashion. 

JasonPratt

Looking at it from that perspective, "Pacific war may turn around for Allies in mid/late-Feb 42" is a pretty impressive situation to have accomplished! -- especially with Japan having seriously invaded Australia!

But then again, that might have been the island (the really really really big island) too far. The Japanese player has some horrible dilemmas about how far to git while the gittin' is good. If he has reached past the nebulous foggy point where he has spread himself too thin too soon, you won't need much to start kicking ass. Y'all haven't had a real down-home shootout or two on the seas yet, and the US can afford (in the long run) to lose a few of those. The Nips really cannot afford to lose even one. And once their sea game is shot, the writing will be on the wall.

On a different topic, how great would Australia be for some epic armor action?! It's too bad neither the US nor Japan at this point have the kit and experience to make it the Pacific equivalent of the African coast and Middle East.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

Great AAR KyzBP. I was wondering what you thinking the CV numbers Geek has and how many you have? What's the CV vs CV comparison?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

KyzBP

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 17, 2015, 09:52:35 AM
Looking at it from that perspective, "Pacific war may turn around for Allies in mid/late-Feb 42" is a pretty impressive situation to have accomplished! -- especially with Japan having seriously invaded Australia!

But then again, that might have been the island (the really really really big island) too far. The Japanese player has some horrible dilemmas about how far to git while the gittin' is good. If he has reached past the nebulous foggy point where he has spread himself too thin too soon, you won't need much to start kicking ass. Y'all haven't had a real down-home shootout or two on the seas yet, and the US can afford (in the long run) to lose a few of those. The Nips really cannot afford to lose even one. And once their sea game is shot, the writing will be on the wall.

On a different topic, how great would Australia be for some epic armor action?! It's too bad neither the US nor Japan at this point have the kit and experience to make it the Pacific equivalent of the African coast and Middle East.

I agree 100%.  A lot rests, right now, on 3 things/battles:

1. The Battle of the Bering Sea
2. The (Impending) Battle of Midway
3. The Battle For Australia

If the first 2 of those go my way, and I'm finally able to launch AM, I should be able to get troops to Oz and help turn the tide there.

Quote from: Sir Slash on December 17, 2015, 11:10:15 AM
Great AAR KyzBP. I was wondering what you thinking the CV numbers Geek has and how many you have? What's the CV vs CV comparison?
Thanks Slash and thanks for following.

I think he has 10 or 11 right now compared to my 4, soon to be 5.  I thought I was tracking all of them until that small group of CVL & CVE's popped up in the Bering Sea.  I really think I can get the jump on them as long as they stick around one more turn.  If they try to chase my BB's then they'll fall right into my ambush.  I only hope my Wildcat and Buffalo, yes, Buffalo pilots are up to the task.

Sir Slash

Damn, I had no idea he could have so many. Even if -- half maybe?--- are CVL's. And Buffalos? When do you get some new aircraft?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

KyzBP

Quote from: Sir Slash on December 17, 2015, 12:50:49 PM
Damn, I had no idea he could have so many. Even if -- half maybe?--- are CVL's. And Buffalos? When do you get some new aircraft?

Here's a list of Japanese Carriers.  It shows 10 carriers plus one training carrier.

I suspect 4 of the CVL's and CVE's are in the Bering Sea.  With any luck they'll never leave.  The Buffaloes should be upgraded to Wildcats in March or April.  They were the only other Carrier Capable planes besides the Wildcats.  I hope to overwhelm him with numbers.

JasonPratt

Where the heck is the "inland sea"?  ???

Because apparently that's where the Shinano (the world's largest carrier at the time, if not ever) was stationed. Or will be stationed when it comes online.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

JasonPratt

No, but I've watched the first modern Gamera movie several times, and I recall the turtle resting from wounds in "the Inland Sea", which is the only other time I've ever heard it described that way.

In my mind, an inland sea is a sea surrounded by land, being, y'know, inland. ;) Like the Caspian Sea. I've seen that area on maps forever, but never thought of it being inland.

Oh well. Now I have an answer to something that always puzzled me about a Gamera movie!  :D

Sir Slash

They called it that so it could stay hidden from everybody. Think-about-it.  :o

KyzBP

February 9th, 1942

Sub activity seems to be picking up steam on both sides.

This sub managed to sink a tanker headed for Colombo.  She was later sunk by ASW patrols.  There are subs lurking off Rangoon, Darwin,
Sydney, and Brisbane.  I'm still making a full attempt at sinking as many of these as I can find. 

I also have a line of subs off of Palmyra.

Geek has some AK's headed to Palmyra to reinforce his troops there.  The subs are the only things I have to stop him from landing.  We'll see how
that works out.

I bombarded Baker Is. again.

For some reason I'm no longer hitting troops.  I guess I gave them enough time to dig in.  The ships I'm using to bombard are now almost
out of fuel and Canton Is. is dry.  I diverted a tanker to Canton but it'll be a couple of days before these guys can sortie out again.

We trade bombardments at Clark Field.

I'm still getting the best of him on these but I'm also eating through supplies.  I've decided to bombard every third day to conserve
supplies.  He's still bombing the crap out of Manila.  There's usually 2-3 sorties of ~70 bombers each sortie.  By now the place must
look like the moon.

I'm still trying to keep his forces at Townsville disorganized.

I'm simply buying time for my reinforcements to arrive.  I'm throwing everything I have at him but once he decides to attack I'm sure I'll
be knocked back.  The inexperienced Warhawk pilots are getting their asses handed to them.  Reinforcements for Australia are beginning
to arrive...off map. :tickedoff:  It'll take at least a month to get them to Oz.  By that time though, there may not be a place for them to land.

Geek moves his carriers out of danger.

He didn't fall into the trap.  That's fine.  I'll have almost everything for AM assembled tomorrow and then we'll launch.
If his carriers stick around I'll end up running right into them.  I don't think he can win a battle here.  I have a very powerful surface fleet that
includes 3 BB's.  The two carriers I have are loaded down with fighters so I don't think he'll get through my CAP.  If everyone is staged, then
tomorrow we launch, Two days at the latest.