An Idiots Guide To Losing Your CV's Before 1942: WiTP:AE KyzBP vs UCG

Started by KyzBP, June 22, 2015, 04:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Without spoiling anything one way or another, I can hardly wait to hear comments from Geek this weekend.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

KyzBP

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 19, 2015, 06:59:55 PM
Without spoiling anything one way or another, I can hardly wait to hear comments from Geek this weekend.
The files for the next turn arrived a few minutes ago but I won't be able to get to them until tomorrow.  I may have another update by evening if everything goes right. 

I wish I could hear Geek's comments. :-\

Sir Slash

It would be in Japanese so you wouldn't understand it. But it'd probably sound something like this,  :tickedoff:  >:(  :-\  :knuppel2:  Sorry for the language. Who'd have thought the Aleutians would be so busy this time of year?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

KyzBP

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 19, 2015, 10:19:55 PM
It would be in Japanese so you wouldn't understand it. But it'd probably sound something like this,  :tickedoff:  >:(  :-\  :knuppel2:  Sorry for the language. Who'd have thought the Aleutians would be so busy this time of year?

I don't think the Aleutians will be a Japanese tourist spot any time soon.

January 28th, 1942

I debated whether to address the Aleutians now or at the end of today"s report.  Thanks to Sir Slash giving me a nice segue-way into the events
taking place in the waters of Alaska we'll start there.

The DD's and CA managed to catch the invasion force in the open, frosty waters of the Bering Sea...or some other icy water near Alaska.

If that wasn't enough, the Cats that originally spotted these guys get in on the action.

When all was said and done approximately 2500 Geek troops were killed.  I'm not sure what his target was but I think it'll be safe for awhile.
There is still a force of AK's headed East but I imagine they'll turn around and head back home.  The DD's and CA are in pursuit of the
damaged ships headed West to try and finish them off. 

So far I got lucky.  If I wouldn't have been planning AM then I doubt I'd have had much up here to stop him.  What would've been funny is
if both invasions would have kicked off at the same time, complete with unarmed transports passing by each other in the night.

Back to reality:
Those damn Geek carriers are still terrorizing my poor, innocent merchant ships.

He has a resupply/refueling convoy heading to meet up with his carriers.  I have a couple of subs close by.  It would be
nice to knock the resupply convoy out and force him back to port.  Soon though, he'll be sending them far North...I hope.

There are some Geek troops pursuing some Dutch troops seeking shelter at the Semi-Secret Base.

British carrier based aircraft hit the surprised Geek units and slowed their pursuit.
In case you hadn't figured it out, Padang is the base.  Everyone is fleeing there plus I landed some armor and infantry from Cape Horn there.
I have some engineers and a base force from India enroute to Siberoet.  Siberoet is an island just West of Padang.  My plan is to get aircraft
into both places as fast as possible so they can mutually support each other.  All of the orphaned Dutch warships are headed to Sabang and will
operate out of there as well.  It will be easy to supply both of these bases from Cape Horn and Diego Garcia.  I'm sending some AA in that
direction as well.  I have to keep him busy in this theater or he'll be able to turn his full attention to the East...which would be bad for the East.

In other news from other places, the Eastern coast of Australia is being seriously threatened.  I'm not sure I'll be able to do much about it right
now but the Banshee's promise to do their best.

Everything points to Cairns as Ground Zero for the invasion of Oz.  I'm moving as much as I can that way and am hoping Cairns isn't a diversion for something
big further South.  The Banshee's have been exemplary so far during this war.  I may be able to contain him at the beaches with the units I have plus
the aircraft that continue to sprout up along the coast.

Alor Star continues to represent the middle finger of the Allied fist.

These guys have endured more than any other Allied unit.  The bombings and bombardments are massive and relentless.  Each
turn I expect them to fall and yet they continue to thumb their noses at Geek's troops. They basically spit in Geek's general direction.

I'll continue the turn in a bit.  My computer is giving me problems so I want to save here before I lose everything.

Sir Slash

Congrats on the Aleutian win but damn is this game tough on transports or what. The last transport wins the game? Still, nice to see the Allies landing some punches.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

KyzBP

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 20, 2015, 09:20:59 PM
Congrats on the Aleutian win but damn is this game tough on transports or what. The last transport wins the game? Still, nice to see the Allies landing some punches.

So far, at this early stage of the game, I am in serious need of Troop Transports (AP's).  I have Material Transports (AK's) coming out of my ears but you can only move equipment and aircraft with those.  If I lose a bunch of them during AM then I'll be eating popcorn while watching Geek take over island after island.

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 20, 2015, 10:18:53 PM
I eagerly await Geek's Aleutian WTF? version of the events.

You'll have to let me in on his general mood at least. ;)

KyzBP

Continuing the 28th...

The boys at Clark AB decided to unleash their own bombardment.

There's no sense in leaving Geek any supplies when he takes this base so I've begun shooting back.

Ready or not the invasion of India is about to begin as well.

That Geek unit near Moulmein is actually 13 units.  I've got all the aircraft in the area set to Ground Attack to slow
him down a bit.  The troops at Moulmein will no doubt be ejected after his first assault.  I'm trying to move the few
bomber I have in the area to Rangoon.  I think I'll bring the British carrier TF back here in case Geek decides to bombard
any of these bases.  The carriers will sit under the AVG CAP near Rangoon.  Rangoon itself is about as ready as it'll ever
be.

On a lighter note: I've found a blind spot between Manila and Midway.  I've sent a few single ships to Midway and all of them have made it.
I'm now sending every ship that still floats from Manila to Midway.  I wish I had spare Political Points.  I could've saved a HQ or 2 but I just
can't afford to use them for that purpose right now.  I may change my mind though.

On a side note: I stopped by the local Hobby Shop and picked up this:

I really wanted the Wildcat but the store didn't have one.  I decided on this because it comes with decals that represent a P-39 squadron
that was based on Canton Island.  I should see if anyone carries a P-35 model. :smitten:

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

Note that the artwork shows the Thousand Mile War! I don't know if PBYs were any good at bombing historically anywhere else, but the only place I've heard or read of them kicking substantial amounts of ass was in the Arctic campaign -- better than the B-17 squads.

Airacobras: I remember flying them in Aces of the Pacific. I liked them better than anything, even slightly moreso than the Lightnings.

Quote from: KyzBP on November 21, 2015, 08:21:54 AM

Decrypts suggest Imperial HQ are calling this their "First real blunder of the war". The commodore-equivalent who set up that slaughter may perhaps succumb to "victory disease" himself soon.  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

KyzBP

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 21, 2015, 10:44:48 PM
Note that the artwork shows the Thousand Mile War! I don't know if PBYs were any good at bombing historically anywhere else, but the only place I've heard or read of them kicking substantial amounts of ass was in the Arctic campaign -- better than the B-17 squads.

Airacobras: I remember flying them in Aces of the Pacific. I liked them better than anything, even slightly moreso than the Lightnings.

Quote from: KyzBP on November 21, 2015, 08:21:54 AM

Decrypts suggest Imperial HQ are calling this their "First real blunder of the war". The commodore-equivalent who set up that slaughter may perhaps succumb to "victory disease" himself soon.  O0

I was a little surprised that Geek sent these guys in without any protection.  His invasion force at Oz only had minimal air cover.  I may be retreating too fast for his support unit to keep up.  ;)

JasonPratt

Decrypts suggest that no air cover for the force sacked by the Aleutian defenders was ever planned to begin with, although it would be logical to suppose that when/if they established a foothold somewhere then air power would be brought in eventually. How or when (or even if!) is a secret they're managing to keep off coded channels.

Whether air cover was intended for this first (?) invasion of OZ, on the other hand, is much murkier. If so, there may have been some kind of organizational error, though of what kind and whether it's something you can exploit, who knows?

KyzBP

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 22, 2015, 10:18:52 AM
Decrypts suggest that no air cover for the force sacked by the Aleutian defenders was ever planned to begin with, although it would be logical to suppose that when/if they established a foothold somewhere then air power would be brought in eventually. How or when (or even if!) is a secret they're managing to keep off coded channels.

Whether air cover was intended for this first (?) invasion of OZ, on the other hand, is much murkier. If so, there may have been some kind of organizational error, though of what kind and whether it's something you can exploit, who knows?

Thanks Jason.  I appreciate your immersion enhancing SigInt SitReps. O0  I hope Geek is receiving the same entertaining reports.

JasonPratt