An Idiots Guide To Losing Your CV's Before 1942: WiTP:AE KyzBP vs UCG

Started by KyzBP, June 22, 2015, 04:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyzBP

Before I continue, sadly I spent most of the day trying to figure out why UCG would send that resupply group west past Johnston.  And why would he send just his carriers north instead of them and the resupply group.  And why even send a resupply group if you're just going send your carriers away anyway. 
Then it hit me...he made a mistake.
Not a tactical or even a strategic, but a player mistake.  I'll bet when the KB (Carrier group.  I've been trying to avoid using that) and the resupply task force met up, UCG accidentally gave the resupply group the carrier's orders and vis verse.  I know I'm the only one reading this that doesn't know what really happened but it's the only thing that makes sense to me.

KyzBP

Continuing on:

UCG has begun his assault on Hong Kong. 

We did ok there this turn, but he reduced our fortifications so next turn he should have an easier go.

Over at Manado the Japanese unveiled some type of never before seen super weapon.

I'm really not even sure how that's possible.  Were they having some kind of Dutch slumber party when a shell hit?

KyzBP

I found out what those two mystery ships were doing:

I have a lot of units headed to that area but they're still a month out.  I think I'll send my CAs back to OZ to get
some friends and we'll do a little drive-by bombardment to welcome them to the neighborhood.

We finally got a visitor.

I plan on rolling out the welcome wagon for him.  I'm sure he brought friends.

BanzaiCat

Great stuff, KyzBP.

I might talk smack about this game being too much for me, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate it. The Pacific Theater is one of my favorites to read about, so I'm very much enjoying this, thanks.

KyzBP

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 01, 2015, 04:37:36 PM
Great stuff, KyzBP.

I might talk smack about this game being too much for me, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate it. The Pacific Theater is one of my favorites to read about, so I'm very much enjoying this, thanks.

I'll call us even Banzai.  Your podcasts are great to listen to while I'm at work.  Keep those coming!

KyzBP

Like I said, he won this turn based on sunken ship count.

I'll try to even the score next round.  What I'd really like to know is: Am I doing any damage to his subs?

Here's the final shot for this turn:

Stay tuned next turn where we'll, hopefully, learn about Sub Mining and Night Airfield Raids.

JasonPratt

Quote from: KyzBP on July 01, 2015, 08:13:15 PM
I'll try to even the score next round.  What I'd really like to know is: Am I doing any damage to his subs?

Just think, five years from now you might find out!  >:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

KyzBP

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 02, 2015, 08:14:46 AM
Quote from: KyzBP on July 01, 2015, 08:13:15 PM

Just think, five years from now you might find out!  >:D

it's almost worth throwing the game just to answer all the questions and read UCG's AAR.  ;)

KyzBP

December 13th, 1941

The hard working pilots stationed aboard the Lexington were allowed to sleep in after their failed attempt to sink the resupply ships.
The decision was made to let some of the sailors that were witness to the heinous acts of Dec. 7th exact a little revenge on the Japanese:

The ships of the Destroyer Intercept Squadron caught up with the tankers and support ships of the Imperial Japanese Navy.  They made sure
EVERY Japanese ship went under.  There were no survivors.  None were ever expected.

The Lexington continued on her way.  The cruisers that were dispatched to rendezvous with her are still going to meet her just north of Palmyra.
The DIS was broken up into smaller components and assigned an ASW mission for their return trip to Pearl.  But wait, what is that on the far right of
the screen?

It appears to be the Enterprise and her support ships.  Now this is why I titled this AAR the way I did, because I get emboldened and make bad
decisions.  I'm going to have the Enterprise meet up with the Lexington.  They're then going to move north towards Pearl so the Enterprise can pick
up a squadron of Wildcats.  Since I know where is carriers are (SE of Wake headed SW) I may look for a place to do a little sneak attack of my own.
There's a resupply task force of mine leaving Pearl shortly.  If it can evade his subs, I'll have it meet up with my carriers and then send the carriers on a
not yet determined offensive mission.  All that goes against everything I said I would do.  Again, thus the title. :uglystupid2:

KyzBP

It looks like the Devastators that were dropped off on Wake are doing their job.  The invasion force (left side of map) has either been slowed or turned around. 
If they're just slowed then the Devastators may get another shot.  I thought for sure he'd send the carriers (right side of map) to support the Wake invasion
but right now they're headed SW towards the Marshalls.  They could still change course or he may have something bigger planned in that direction.

And who's that poor, unfortunate ship caught between a giant carrier force and an invasion force?  Why, that's our good friend the Penguin.  She's changing
course and headed for Midway.  Her life expectancy is now that of a Mayfly in June.

KyzBP

I'm really digging my "secret" PBY base at Nauru.  I sent a small squadron there on the 8th.

It's been able to keep tabs on everything moving around the Marshall's, Gilbert's, Solomon's, and even parts of the Santa Cruz Islands.
Let's keep this our secret. :-X
Btw, it looks like UCG is sending some transports to either the Solomons or to Rabaul.  Either way there's not much I can do about it.

The one place I can't get an eye on is Truk.  I know that base gets used a lot by the AI.  I'd like to know what Geek has going on there.
I just realized Geek hasn't taken Guam yet so next turn I'll get some PBYs there.

He continues his dominance in the Celebes Sea area.  He's managed to sink probably 90% of the ships that I tried to evacuate.  Sadly, I consider
that a win.  If I didn't try then they'd all die.

I have managed to barely stay one step ahead of him in regards to getting aircraft out of the Philippines though, but it is getting tougher.
As of right now I've gotten approximately 55 P-40s and 20 B-17s out.  The only other planes worth saving are the PBYs but I can get them later.

KyzBP

I'd say UCG will have this area wrapped up soon .

I'm continuing to pull all the fighters out of Malaya and sending them to Sabang.  All the bombers in the area have
switched to Night Bombing and are going after the closest airfields.

One Zero destroyed and no bomber loses.  Another victory!  Now if I can replicate that about 100 times a turn we might
stand a chance.  The torpedo bombers in the area are still set to Naval Attack.  They seem to have better luck getting through
the fighter screens, even if they don't hit anything when they get there.

For as bad as the Dutch bombers are their subs seem to excel.  They have been getting hits in just about every time they shoot.  The
problem is I simply don't have enough of them and most have a fairly limited range.

In China, Hong Kong fell...

...and it wasn't even close.  It took him 2 whole turns.  I have a feeling Singapore will suffer a similar fate.
China is still fairly quiet.  I'm still trying to move all the peasant armies into the cities or on the other side of rivers to close the odds a little.
The China portion of WiTP could be it's own stand alone game.  I'll readdress China in a few turns.

India is still silent with the one exception being the SigInt Report telling me Tavoy is being targeted.  I haven't seen any activity yet though.

JasonPratt

I won't say whether or not UGeek has cottoned to the PBY scouts yet, but it's no secret he knows about the PBYs who have been methodically murdering ships.

Nor will I be spoiling things to say he was VERY impressed with that move.  O0 He doesn't think he's ever seen or read of anyone doing that before.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

KyzBP

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 02, 2015, 12:11:15 PM
I won't say whether or not UGeek has cottoned to the PBY scouts yet, but it's no secret he knows about the PBYs who have been methodically murdering ships.

Nor will I be spoiling things to say he was VERY impressed with that move.  O0 He doesn't think he's ever seen or read of anyone doing that before.

I hope it doesn't turn out to be considered "Gamey".  I've used them before in an ASW role but never prior this have I considered using them in a naval attack
posture.  They've gone from being kind of an afterthought in other games to being one of my favorite units right now.  They really are a force multiplier at this stage in the game. 

Thanks for the input and following along.  :) 

KyzBP

The West Coast ports are very busy and the stream of transport and supply ships continue to flow towards the South Pacific.

That one single solitary sub has already drawn blood.  There are an incredible amount of resources devoted to preventing sub
attacks yet the first sub that shows up gets a hit.  Go figure.

So the end of the turn looks like this:

I lost the bases at Cotabato and Kavieng.

We are only getting confirmation of a DD being sunk from the Resupply Group.

12 Destroyer captains assure me that all of the ships were sunk and the made sure confirmed there were no survivors.  I choose
to believe them.

Geek continued to flex his muscle in the Far East:

The DD loses were a small surface combat group that was surprised by a force containing CAs and DDs.  They never had a chance
and don't think they inflicted any damage either.

Here's the score for the end of 12/13/41: