mikeck

Quote from: Yskonyn on June 01, 2019, 04:17:58 PM
Quote from: mikeck on June 01, 2019, 07:59:45 AM
10-4

The correct themed term would be 'Roger' or 'Sierra Hotel!'
:)

This guy knows his shit btw:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLml_c09ciucvv3CIsWImCEqY5XIdbfPxu

It would be if I was still an 11B in the army...but not for my current work! Lol
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Yskonyn

JH's posts about the Harrier prompted me to revisit the aircraft and I am delighted to find that the nav suite has seen a significant update from last time I flew; moving map and waypoint data entry and editing is now functional with the nifty EHSD! Sweet!
This has elevated the module right up for me where finally I can now fly it in the FAC role like I am familiar with in the A-10C.
Its great to see the differences between them!
The amount of weapons the Hog can carry is all the more impressive now, but the quick reaction capability from operating out of forward bases or carriers is a great advantage of the Harrier.
And that Pegasus engine whine never gets old! 👍🏻
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on June 03, 2019, 11:09:47 AM
JH's posts about the Harrier prompted me to revisit the aircraft and I am delighted to find that the nav suite has seen a significant update from last time I flew; moving map and waypoint data entry and editing is now functional with the nifty EHSD! Sweet!
This has elevated the module right up for me where finally I can now fly it in the FAC role like I am familiar with in the A-10C.
Its great to see the differences between them!
The amount of weapons the Hog can carry is all the more impressive now, but the quick reaction capability from operating out of forward bases or carriers is a great advantage of the Harrier.
And that Pegasus engine whine never gets old! 👍🏻

I'm still loving every second I spend in the Harrier. I was having a strange graphics issue in VR with the DDIs in the Hornet, but I resolved it and have now been dividing my flight time between the two aircraft. I truly enjoy both.

I do want to get into the A10C again, though...how does its complexity compare with an aircraft like the Harrier? I always thought a lot of the pages on the MFDs were very complicated, and that the weapons and navigation systems took a lot of pre-flight time to set-up, but I haven't really taken the time to get comfortable with them.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Now with the Harrier having the EHSD with moving map where you can choose between North On Top or Aircraft Course on Top (rotation of the map) the Harrier has a TAD-lite, if you will.
The Hog has more bells and whistles regarding how you want to display the info on the map (EXP1 and 2 modes are awesome over target area) and features like hooking a contact or manipulating sensor point of interest to quickly put weapons on target. Also the data in the FMS is more robust, but at the same time a lot of stuff you hardly ever use or otherwise not very often at any rate.
I don't think the Harrier's EHSD can handle named waypoints like the Hog can and the FLTPLN mode on the CDU/UFC is a very handy way to create or re-plan routes, something the Harrier can only do by means of entering coordinates afaik.
Also I don't think the IFF is enabled in the Harrier yet, whereas in the Hog you have a SADL system complete with tags and a hooking system for increased SA.

So yes, the Hog's systems are more complex and more fully featured, but the Harrier has other advantages; less fiddling with system makes for more shooting!

Oh and in case you didn't know this was available:
https://info.publicintelligence.net/AV-8B-000.pdf
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Pete Dero

Thrustmaster F/A-18C Hornet HOTAS

https://shop.thrustmaster.com/en_gb/products-joysticks/f-a-18c-hornettm-hotas-add-on-grip.html

Due for release on July 25th, 2019 ( £179,99 / €199,99 / $229,99)
Add-on to the base of Thrustmaster's HOTAS Warthog

https://www.wargamer.com/articles/thrustmasters-fa-18c-hornet-flight-stick-preview/

Yskonyn

Yeah! Definately on my wishlist, but first I am waiting for the VirPil WarBRD mechanical base to arrive!

Skoop

^ Good choice, I have a Virpil WarBRD and love it.  Best Cam system out there, it's like butter.  I had a VKB and a Warthog, the WarBRD is better.  Thrustmaster products are like crabs, hard exterior masking a crappy interior.  VKBs are good, but I feel they need more refinement.  The WarBRD is a masterpiece, it's the same system that BRD has been making for years in Russia, but now he has the Lithuanians at Virpil to manufacture them at a better rate and the ordering is cleaner.  No more wire transfers to the Ukraine which would throw red flags to your bank....

I have a Virpil T50 grip which is great, has more than enough buttons to program.  You can fit any thrustmaster or Virpil grip on the WarBRD which is a huge plus. 

Yskonyn

Thanks!
Yeah I intend to keep on using the Thrustmaster grips. It's great the WarBRD offers this compatibility out of the box! Also looked at the Mongoose base, but I have no intention to go for a floor mounted setup with an extension rod, so I'd be a thief of my own wallet if I had chosen that over the WarBRD.
I even read that the VirPil software allows for USB ID changing so that even with the WarBRD base Windows will still see it as my Warthog stick. Pretty awesome.

I've monitored the VKB guys as well, but their Gunfighter only comes as a complete set (base and grip), so that's a no-go.

BTW I am not familiar with BRD. I just thought it was a play of words to make it a fancy accronym. :)

Redwolf

Hi folks. I am contemplating dropping the USD 80 on the F/A-18 and the carrier.

Are there any red flags why I might get a negative experience out of that? Does it work fine? Anything really stupid built in?

My controller is a X45 combo and the thurstmaster flight pedals, I assume that works well?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Redwolf on June 11, 2019, 08:59:09 AM

Are there any red flags why I might get a negative experience out of that? Does it work fine? Anything really stupid built in?

My controller is a X45 combo and the thurstmaster flight pedals, I assume that works well?

The Hornet is a fantastic module. Some people complain about the fact that it is still in early access and some of the key avionics and systems are not modeled yet. This doesn't bother me so much as there is plenty there already. Its a great aircraft that excels at pretty much everything. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Redwolf

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 11, 2019, 09:08:18 AM
Quote from: Redwolf on June 11, 2019, 08:59:09 AM

The Hornet is a fantastic module. Some people complain about the fact that it is still in early access and some of the key avionics and systems are not modeled yet. This doesn't bother me so much as there is plenty there already. Its a great aircraft that excels at pretty much everything.

That sounds fine to me. I'm probably too dumb to learn all the avionics anyway :D

My expectations are:
- learn a bit about carrier operations and capabilities such as how much fuel in a carrier-launched Hornet gets my how far
- spend periods of 15-20 minutes in immersion that isn't disturbed by software bugs

Speaking of fuel, does it model in-air refueling? If so, from what? Air force tankers? Or can the carrier send something up?

Yskonyn

You'll definately learn more about carrier ops from the Hornet module, but just so you know; Eagle Dynamics is working on a high fidelity Carrier module where you will experience a more realistic Carrier deck with working hangar elevators, interactive deck personnel (white, red, purple, yellow shirts) and proper ATC.
The Carrier that's included with the Hornet has a working catapult system, a working LSO, but no lifts, nor animated personnel.

The Hornet indeed does feature the ability to do air-to-air refueling. An S3 Viking is included as well as the KC-130 and KC-135 (the last one might be modded as the stock one might only have a boom which is incompatible with the Hornet, I don't remember if DCS has a KC-135 with 'baskets')

I wholeheartedly agree with Jarhead; the  Hornet is a fantastic module, even in its early access state.

Redwolf

Quote from: Yskonyn on June 11, 2019, 10:00:11 AM
You'll definately learn more about carrier ops from the Hornet module, but just so you know; Eagle Dynamics is working on a high fidelity Carrier module where you will experience a more realistic Carrier deck with working hangar elevators, interactive deck personnel (white, red, purple, yellow shirts) and proper ATC.
The Carrier that's included with the Hornet has a working catapult system, a working LSO, but no lifts, nor animated personnel.

The Hornet indeed does feature the ability to do air-to-air refueling. An S3 Viking is included as well as the KC-130 and KC-135 (the last one might be modded as the stock one might only have a boom which is incompatible with the Hornet, I don't remember if DCS has a KC-135 with 'baskets')

I wholeheartedly agree with Jarhead; the  Hornet is a fantastic module, even in its early access state.

Well the S3 as a tanker does it. Cover me, I'm going in.

Destraex

Anybody know if the Virpil base will work with my HOTAS Cougar stick?
I really like the Virpil stuff but the price is even worse than a Warthog. I can get a Warthog more easily but am a little worried I will not like the feel of the joystick movement, my cougar is using 4 industrial strength springs and is stiff in any direction except directly along the spring axis. Also worried about the plastic parts inside the warthog. The gimbal and the throttle.

I looked at the vkb gunfighter and don't mind it, but they do not seem to make a throttle.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Yskonyn

The VirPil bases (Mongoose and WarBRD) both work with Cougar and Warthog. You can even alter the USB ID in the VirPil software so that DCS sees it as such and you retain the function of the sim auto-assigning controls.

Be mindful that the Mongoose base has a new version and is on preorder for somewhere July. The WarBRD is available right now (and is cheaper).

The Mongoose has stiffer springs because its meant for cockpit setups where it gets mounted on the floor with an extension rod to the grip to make it a real size flightstick.
The WarBRD is meant for desktop use, or table mount.
VirPil does not recommend using extensions on the WarBRD due to its wider throw and its softer springs that might result in centering problems due to the longer arm. The Warthog grip especially is regarded as heavy.

The cam system in either will be much smoother than your Cougar. I guess you could find custom springs with added stiffness, but I dont think VirPil gives options out of the box other than cam profile.